Leeds United vs Tottenham Hotspur Memories

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Leeds United vs Tottenham Hotspur Memories

Post by Mr Russell »

Yes your wondering why so early but i will be away for a bit over the next two week so i'm putting them up early (same for Burnley game)

Leeds United vs Spurs Memories?

Was it the FA cup win in 1972 where Leeds beat Spurs 2-1 in what some have called a perfect performance?

Was the games in 1992/1993 in the first season of the EPL as Leeds first beat Spurs 5-0 thanks to an Eric Cantona hat-trick or the return game where Spurs win 4-0 and Teddy Sherringham nets 3 goals?

Was it when Leeds beat Spurs in 2013 in the FA cup thanks to goals from Luke Varney and Ross McCormack?

Was it the goal fest at Elland Road where Leeds win 4-3 thanks to goals from Mark Viduka (2) and Alan Smith (2) in the 2000/2001 season?

Was it our return to the old First Division where Gazza and co easily beat us 2-0 at Elland Road in the 1990/1991 season?

Was it in the 1973/1974 season where Leeds humble Spurs 3-0 at White Hart Lane thanks to goals from Billy Bremner (2) and Allan Clarke? “What terrible defending by Tottenham”

Was it when Spurs came to Elland Road in the 1979/1980 season and won a crazy game after they had a player sent off half way through the first half and then their keeper was taken off injured, Spurs legend Glenn Hoddle takes over in goals and keeps Leeds at Bay bar a Ray Hankin goal as they come away with a 2-1 win?

Playing Spurs at Boothferry Park (Hull City’s ground) in the 1971/1972 season, game ended 1-1 draw?

1966/1967 season – ding ding Round One – Billy Bremner vs Dave MacKay?

Season 1964/1965 Leeds back in the big time beat Spurs at Elland Road 3-1?

What’s yours?
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Leeds United vs Tottenham Hotspur Memories

Post by Selby White »

Mr Russell wrote: Was it the FA cup win in 1972 where Leeds beat Spurs 2-1 in what some have called a perfect performance?
Was a young boy at that match and recall that we should have been approaching double figures if it wasn't for a certain Pat Jennings, best goalkeeping performance I've ever witnessed.

Mr Russell wrote: Playing Spurs at Boothferry Park (Hull City’s ground) in the 1971/1972 season, game ended 1-1 draw?
Was at that one also sat in the front row of seats behind the goal (was standing section in front of us) and managed to take a shot that went over the bar full in the face, of course I'll tell you it was a Lorimer rocket but in truth not a clue who it was.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Travelling to Spurs in the late 70'sand 80's was not the nicest of places, worst London ground to get to in my view. We always got the overland train from Liverpool St to White Hart Lane with the home fans rather than the tube to Seven Sisters that away fans were supposed do, was far safer but you needed to keep your mouth shut.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

If I had not been born in Leeds, grew up very close to Elland Road, and Leeds United was part of my life, I would have been a Spurs fan.
Came home from school one day 1962/63 season and watched Spurs hammer Athletico Madrid, previous years winners, 5-1 to win the European Cup Winners Cup, final was being played in Rotterdam. If ever one game made an impression on a boy, this was it. That was the team I wanted Leeds to be, somebody called Don Revie came along and made it happen, rest is history.
Paul ITFC
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Paul ITFC »

Sorry for my intrusions on your site but I was at White Hart Lane for the 3-0 Leeds win in 1973 and, as I remember it, Leeds tore Spurs apart that day. Loved that yellow kit too.

Going off at a tangent, yesterday I made a post on the ITFC Forum that I use talking about my memories of the ITFC title win in 1961/62 with yesterday being the 59th Anniversary of the day that Ipswich became Champions Of England.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Paul ITFC wrote:
Going off at a tangent, yesterday I made a post on the ITFC Forum that I use talking about my memories of the ITFC title win in 1961/62 with yesterday being the 59th Anniversary of the day that Ipswich became Champions Of England.
Yesterday was the 52nd anniversary of us winning the title for the first time at Anfield back in ‘69 & I was there that night. God I feel old :D
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Paul ITFC wrote:Sorry for my intrusions on your site but I was at White Hart Lane for the 3-0 Leeds win in 1973 and, as I remember it, Leeds tore Spurs apart that day. Loved that yellow kit too.
Yes I was there that day I remember running the gauntlet after coming out of 7 Sisters tube. Tottenham skinheads appeared from everywhere. No police cordons in those days. I remember Billy grabbed a brace. Happy days.

PS You’re never intruding love your memories ;)
Winner of the Europa League
Paul ITFC
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Paul ITFC »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Yes I was there that day I remember running the gauntlet after coming out of 7 Sisters tube. Tottenham skinheads appeared from everywhere. No police cordons in those days. I remember Billy grabbed a brace. Happy days.

PS You’re never intruding love your memories ;)

Thank you.

I would have gone by train from Ipswich to Liverpool Street and then on to White Hart Lane station.
I think that Don Revie worked wonders in getting the players (and himself) to recover from the disappointment of the Sunderland F.A. Cup Final defeat to have the start that Leeds had in 1973/74.

I was also at Highbury for the win just before that game and then at Norwich soon after for another win.

That team was pretty special but I remember being at West Ham at the back end of that season for a 3-1 defeat and I think at that point
there were a few doubts about getting the title because Liverpool were closing in.
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

Wasn't it at Spurs that Lee Chapman crashed face first into the track around the pitch?

Horrid injury.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

The Fonz wrote:Wasn't it at Spurs that Lee Chapman crashed face first into the track around the pitch?

Horrid injury.
Yep
https://twitter.com/lufchistory/status/ ... 88?lang=en
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay