LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Paul Reaney

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Paul Reaney

Post by Selby White »

Paul Reaney another deserving to be in our Hall of Fame" arguably our best full back, but not just a defender those of us lucky enough to see Paul play will remember his many overlapping runs which got him the nickname "Speedy".

Paul is number 3 on our all time appearance list and that was despite missing a good few games with a broken leg.

George Best said of Reaney "The best I've played against", can't argue wit that pure quality.

Did get 3 England caps and although at the time was classed as white more recently he is considered mixed race which takes the great significance as his debut was 9 years before the so called first black player to play for England Viv Anderson.

Since finishing his playing career Paul has put time back into the sport coaching kids during school holidays at Holiday resorts.

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Re: LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Paul Reaney

Post by Westminster »

Paul Reaney should have had 50 England caps, never mind 3 or whatever he got. That broken leg was bad timing for Reaney though, in terms of playing for England.

Either way, Reaney must have been the best right-back in the country between the mid-60s and the mid-70s. Fast, rock hard, and great coming forward. Made many a goal-line clearance from corners and free-kicks too.

Paul Reaney played in the first game of professional football I ever saw, a pre-season friendly back in the early-70s. I saw him play for Bradford City about ten years later on the same ground and he was still the best player on the pitch.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

George Best summed up Paul perfectly for me. A great player who didn’t get the England caps he thoroughly deserved. Maybe I’ve imagined it but I seem to remember he had a spell selling bibles in Canada or have I just made that up ?
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Paul played 2 years in Australia 1980 &1981, still performed at his usual high standards. He played for Newcastle KB United which is where I live (before my time), I ask fans who saw him play what he was like and they say he was a class above even at his age.

Sadly no book has been written about him.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Viv Anderson is always accredited as the first black player to play for England, however Paul should hold that honour. Back in the day he was classed as a white man despite today he would have been classed as a black or mixed race player. Paul has never considered himself to be black however. I’ve met him on several occasions & there was always an air of mischief about him. He would have played in the 1970 World Cup but for breaking a leg. 745 appearances for Leeds put him in the legendary status for me.
Winner of the Europa League