Deadwood

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Re: Deadwood

Post by The Fonz »

Leonickroberts wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Leonickroberts wrote:
The Fonz wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:Think the above 2 sets of figures show we appear to be keeping things on the right track. We have 12 players out on loan so I’d imagine the umbilical cord will be cut with de Bock, Douglas & O’Kane.
Those three are certainly deadwood as nowhere near been considered for the team but think the poster of this thread saying Costa is deadwood I find a unwarranted attack on a player.
Costa although most agree not our best player has done his bit, played the vast majority of games last season helping our promotion and come in this year when needed.
Was part of the 10 heroes recently against Man City, in fact played key passes in the build up to both goals that day.

MB obviously uses him but as we go forward of course he may become surplus but to call him deadwood is bang out of order in my opinion.
To be honest in my short time here it isn't something i see much on this forum compared to other places so sorry if my post upsets anyone.

Moving on those figures with regards to Clubs spending shows what a great job MB has done here, not that we didn't know that. Thanks for posting :thumbup:
Not sure how you read the initial post as "an unwarranted attack on a player". Really reaching there. :D :D :D

The point was to highlight that there's a disconnect between players that are valuable to the club, and players that we could get decent money for. At one end of the spectrum is Dallas, who's totally invaluable to us, but probably wouldn't be that valuable on the open market given his age. At the other end is Costa who has been....fine. But nobody will pay even close to the 16m we paid for him.

The two tables NW posted are interesting and reflect my point. We don't have many highly paid players who cost a lot, were meant to be good, and we now wish we could sell but will struggle to do so. Our wage bill is low because we don't have any Bentekes or Zappacostas, who we paid big fees for (second table) and pay a big salary to (first table). Other than Costa, for whom we paid around £16m and is presumably on a decent salary.
Leo I can see the point Fonzie makes, someone who is a regular in the first team squad isn't really deadwood.
The players NW names are the ones we should be trying to offload.
It wasn't so much the point I disagree on as the phrase 'unwarranted attack on a player'. This forum is great because unjustified attacks on players aren't tolerated, hence reiterating my point that I don't think this is either an attack or unjustified. I'm not attacking him, just saying we'll try to sell him because we won't have a place for him in the team, and won't get most of our money back because (whether we wanted him to be or not) for the most part he hasn't been very good. I really like the lad, and have wanted him to succeed, so it's a shame he hasn't.

Of course I'm totally happy to be proven wrong if we do keep him and he comes good, but I'm afraid can't see it.

Anyway, my original point was that we've managed to avoid getting into a position lots of other clubs have - spending lots on players on big wages who then don't contribute enough and can't be sold on. Even the clubs going down haven't managed this, so all credit to Orta and Kinnear, and Bielsa for hammering home his small squad ethic.
Apologies thought you were having a go at a player that has played a part in our success. May become surplus I agree as we move on.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: Deadwood

Post by Leonickroberts »

The Fonz wrote:
Leonickroberts wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Leonickroberts wrote:
The Fonz wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:Think the above 2 sets of figures show we appear to be keeping things on the right track. We have 12 players out on loan so I’d imagine the umbilical cord will be cut with de Bock, Douglas & O’Kane.
Those three are certainly deadwood as nowhere near been considered for the team but think the poster of this thread saying Costa is deadwood I find a unwarranted attack on a player.
Costa although most agree not our best player has done his bit, played the vast majority of games last season helping our promotion and come in this year when needed.
Was part of the 10 heroes recently against Man City, in fact played key passes in the build up to both goals that day.

MB obviously uses him but as we go forward of course he may become surplus but to call him deadwood is bang out of order in my opinion.
To be honest in my short time here it isn't something i see much on this forum compared to other places so sorry if my post upsets anyone.

Moving on those figures with regards to Clubs spending shows what a great job MB has done here, not that we didn't know that. Thanks for posting :thumbup:
Not sure how you read the initial post as "an unwarranted attack on a player". Really reaching there. :D :D :D

The point was to highlight that there's a disconnect between players that are valuable to the club, and players that we could get decent money for. At one end of the spectrum is Dallas, who's totally invaluable to us, but probably wouldn't be that valuable on the open market given his age. At the other end is Costa who has been....fine. But nobody will pay even close to the 16m we paid for him.

The two tables NW posted are interesting and reflect my point. We don't have many highly paid players who cost a lot, were meant to be good, and we now wish we could sell but will struggle to do so. Our wage bill is low because we don't have any Bentekes or Zappacostas, who we paid big fees for (second table) and pay a big salary to (first table). Other than Costa, for whom we paid around £16m and is presumably on a decent salary.
Leo I can see the point Fonzie makes, someone who is a regular in the first team squad isn't really deadwood.
The players NW names are the ones we should be trying to offload.
It wasn't so much the point I disagree on as the phrase 'unwarranted attack on a player'. This forum is great because unjustified attacks on players aren't tolerated, hence reiterating my point that I don't think this is either an attack or unjustified. I'm not attacking him, just saying we'll try to sell him because we won't have a place for him in the team, and won't get most of our money back because (whether we wanted him to be or not) for the most part he hasn't been very good. I really like the lad, and have wanted him to succeed, so it's a shame he hasn't.

Of course I'm totally happy to be proven wrong if we do keep him and he comes good, but I'm afraid can't see it.

Anyway, my original point was that we've managed to avoid getting into a position lots of other clubs have - spending lots on players on big wages who then don't contribute enough and can't be sold on. Even the clubs going down haven't managed this, so all credit to Orta and Kinnear, and Bielsa for hammering home his small squad ethic.
Apologies thought you were having a go at a player that has played a part in our success. May become surplus I agree as we move on.
:thumbup:
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’