Southampton vs Leeds United Memories

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Southampton vs Leeds United Memories

Post by Mr Russell »

What are your memories of this fixture?

Was it that fantastic fight back in the 2005/2006 season where Southampton race away to a 3-0 lead but 4 second half goals from Leeds (Butler, Blake, Healy (p), Miller) give us a 4-3 away win?

Was it Lee Bowyer last minute winner away from home in the 2001/2002 season in a 1-0 win?

Was it Michael Bridges hat-trick away at Southampton in a 3-0 win in the 1999/2000 season?

Was it in the 1991/1992 season where we blow a 3-1 lead to draw 3-3 at Elland Road? Or in the same season where Leeds blow Southampton apart by 4-0 with two goals apiece from Gordon Strachan and Gary Speed?

Was it in the 1981/1982 season where Frank Worthington gives us an early lead but Southampton roar back with a certain Kevin Keegan playing for them and beat us 3-1 at Elland Road?

Was it in the 1979/1980 where Wayne Entwistle would score one of his 2 Leeds goals in a 2-1 away win?

Was it the 2 legged League Cup Semi Final in the 1978/1979 season where we draw 2-2 before losing the second leg 1-0?

Was it Tony Currie beautiful goal in the above season in a 4-0 home win?

Was it in the 1971/1972 season where Leeds demolish Southampton 7-0 at Elland Road with goals from Clarke (2), Lorimer (3), Charlton and Jones?

Was it in the 1960/1961 season in the league Cup where Southampton win 5-4 thanks to Reeves netting all their goals including a last minute winner?

What’s yours?
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Re: Southampton vs Leeds United Memories

Post by Westminster »

Two main memories for me:

The 7-0 victory. Don Revie's Leeds at their peak, they literally ran rings round Southampton that day. All captured on camera as well (so many games weren't back then).

The Tony Currie goal. Obviously a brilliant strike in its own right but I was a big Currie fan and, to me, that goal symbolises what he was all about - skill, flair and the ability to do something others couldn't. Leeds were in decline by then but Tony Currie just had that star quality. Fond memories.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Mr Russell wrote: Was it the 2 legged League Cup Semi Final in the 1978/1979 season where we draw 2-2 before losing the second leg 1-0?
Was at both legs of that one and if memory is as good as I think it is we were 2-0 up in the first leg and cruising before two late Saints goals.
Went on the train to the Dell, fortunately back then we could always get home to Selby as it was on the East Coast Main Line so just had to get from Southampton to London and across to King's Cross. Not sure if we made the midnight train that night but if ever missed it was always the Mail train in the early hours.
Back to the match and was gutted with the result, how we lost that semi I'll never know was clearly the better side.

Visited the Dell a few times, why I'll never know as one of the worst grounds for away fans, once they put the fencing up seeing was a major issue due to the thickness of the posts and wire.

Of course the highlight memory of Southampton is the Super Leeds 7-0 ultimate football show.

The 3-4 from 3-0 down (Liam Miller wasn't it) was superb excitement.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

My first Leeds United away game was in 1993 v Southampton at The Dell.

After winning the league in that brilliant season of 91/92, we had an awful run of form the next season. I may be wrong, but I’m not sure if we won away all season, and going into this game, I think we hadn’t won away for 14 months or so...

Anyway, I was in the Army at the time, based on the edge of Salisbury Plain, so Southampton was just down the road. I was in with the home fans and trying to act all southern. Brian Deane put us ahead shortly after halftime, and we were coming under a fair bit of pressure late on when Gary Speed scored the clinching goal with a couple of minutes to go. I don’t think I did a very good job of suppressing my joy, and I looked around sheepishly only to find myself surrounded by hundreds of undercover Leeds fans celebrating the win!

My most vivid memory of the day, though, was a shuddering clash of heads between Brian Deane and Ken Monkou, the Southampton centre back, halfway through the first half. I was right behind the goal that we were attacking, a couple of rows back in the standing terraces. I think we had a corner, and Deane and Monkou went for the same ball. There was a sickening thud and both went down in the box. Monkou was out cold, flat on his back, head tilted to the side and his tongue hanging out. Deano just sat up, rubbed his forehead and trotted back to the centre circle. Monkou left on a stretcher and straight into an ambulance!
ayearinmx
Terry Venables's car dealer

Post by ayearinmx »

mine wasn't mentioned but it was a Tony Dorigo goal for a 1-1 at the dell in 95/96.... desperately wanted to see Yeboah score, but ol' Tony slotted one in