Leeds United vs West Brom Memories

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Leeds United vs West Brom Memories

Post by Mr Russell »

What are your memories of this one?

Was it that fantastic 4-0 win in the Championship back in the 2018/2019 season where Pablo scored after 20 seconds?

Was it this season’s destruction at the Hawthorns where we won 5-0?

Was it the meetings during the 1978/1979 season where we played each other 7 times over League, FA Cup and League cup games?

Was it when WBA condemned us to relegation during the 1981/1982 season after they beat us 2-0?

Was it the grand ineptitude of referee Ray Tinkler who lost whatever brain cells he had before the game started as he failed to up hold the rules of football as he allowed a twice offside goal scored by West Brom as they won at Elland Road by 2-1, that loss cost us the title, few have forgotten or forgiven one of the most hopeless of referees ever to grace a footballing field?

Was it the 5-1 win over West Brom in the 1969/1970 season with goals from Gray, Jones, Giles 2 and Lorimer?

Was it Johnny Giles returning as manager of West Brom in a 2-2 draw at Elland Road in the 1976/1977 season?

Was it Terry Connor’s first ever goal as a young 17 year old coming on as a sub to score the winner in a 1-0 win in the 1979/1980?

What’s yours?
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Leeds United vs West Brom Memories

Post by Davycc »

Just the one memory for me and a pretty recent one. Championship winning year at ER a 1-0 win made more memorable as I met up with some riffraff in the pavilion. Had been a few years since I’d been over so was good to see a game again. Thanks to DLW I was able to take my daughter again 20 years after her first visit.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
guitarmark
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by guitarmark »

One stand out memory for me and that is Ray Tinkler - I was 11 at the time, but even then I recall it was such big news

More recently then I'd say the 4 v 0 at Elland Rd with Pablo scoring so early - We needed revenge for earlier in the season at their place
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Hitch-hiked there

Lost 0-2

Bad crowd trouble

Effectively relegated

Hitch-hiked back

Nicked for jaywalking

Ah, happy days, not!
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Another Northern Soul wrote:1982

Hitch-hiked there

Lost 0-2

Bad crowd trouble

Effectively relegated

Hitch-hiked back

Nicked for jaywalking

Ah, happy days, not!
Was at that match also remember the Allan Clarke interview when they asked him about the trouble - "What trouble" :crazy:

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Talk about fixture congestion remember visiting West Brom 3 times in 6 days in 1979.

Saturday - Beat them in the league at the Hawthorns
Monday Night - FA Cup which had been postponed a couple of weeks earlier. Was trailing 3-1 as the game went into injury time but two goals within injury sent a packed away end wild.
Thursday night - Back for the replay as we had to play all our games away due to the pitch invasion against Man City the year before. Lost that one though so bit of a mixed week.

Was 13 and at the Tinkler match in 1971 actually with my mother, we had two season tickets and my Mother came instead of Dad when he was on wrong shift. First time I heard my mother swear :shock:

Remember playing them one night at Maine Road (must have been a Cup replay, can't recall why it was there), Jock Stein was manager but the rumours were circulating that he was getting the Scotland Job. The fans wanted him to stay and sang his name all match. Shortly afterwards he was gone :roll:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Selby White wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:1982

Hitch-hiked there

Lost 0-2

Bad crowd trouble

Effectively relegated

Hitch-hiked back

Nicked for jaywalking

Ah, happy days, not!
Was at that match also remember the Allan Clarke interview when they asked him about the trouble - "What trouble" :crazy:

Forthright as ever, good old Allan :thumbup:
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Westminster »

I remember the Terry Connor goal but I've a feeling that he may actually have been 16 at the time, not 17.

The Ray Tinkler thing beggars belief but Leeds were robbed time and time again in the 1970s. Cost us a lot of trophies including the European Cup, of course.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Was at the Hawthorns relegation game 81/82. My fellow supporter Neil came down from Sheffield and we drove there from Derby. No other recollections other than the dejection of being relegated, certainly none of the pitch invasion.....probably because we were, sadly, used to so-called 'fan's' hooligan behaviour at the time. It was a mid-week game.

Also in the 80's going there and Ian Snodin being sent off, along with another player later....John Stiles perhaps?

And then, sorry to make this such a vague post, a Saturday fixture there when it was still below freezing at kick off. Late 80's I'd say....think we won

Memories of games at LS11, nope, but there must have been some
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

mapperleywhite wrote:
Also in the 80's going there and Ian Snodin being sent off, along with another player later....John Stiles perhaps?

And then, sorry to make this such a vague post, a Saturday fixture there when it was still below freezing at kick off. Late 80's I'd say....think we won
Was the 1986/1987 season the send offs, Snodin (43rd min) and Stiles (47th min) plus they had a player sent off at the same time as Snodin, we lost 0-3.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.