LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Mick Jones

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Mick Jones

Post by Selby White »

Mick was a key part of the Dons jigsaw not only did he score important goals he was the workhorse up front that created space for others to benefit. Ususual for a striker but Mick was one of the most unselfish strikers to pull on the white shirt, his partnership with Allan Clarke was legendary.
When Mick retired due to knee injury Clarke is on record of saying "It was never the same again".

Signed in for what was said to be £100,000 but the story goes it was actually £99,999 as the Don didn't want him to have the pressure of been our first 6 figure transfer, others may know the story better.

In his first season here we won our first two major trophies but Mick didn't take part in the League Cup due to been cup tied. However he scored the all important goal in the 1-0 home victory against Ferencvaros, a all important 0-0 in Budapest saw us lift the Fairs Cup.

Mick will always remember for his dislocated shoulder at the end of our 72 FA Cup success, same day of course in provided that cross for the all important goal that split the sides.

Can't talk about Mick without mentioning a certain hat trick against a certain team that play in red from over the hills on the day we destroyed them :D

Lets just enjoy a bit of Mick Jones "M - MI - MIC - MICK - MICK JONES"

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
frogmill0
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Re: LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Mick Jones

Post by frogmill0 »

I really enjoyed that so thanks for posting. Mick was my favourite player when he was at the club.
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Westminster »

Mick Jones is always remembered as a selfless, hard-running type but he actually had a very good goal scoring record for us: 111 goals in 312 games.

Injury really did for Jones at his peak though. He played a very important role for us when we won the title in '74 in what was effectively his final season at Elland Road. Then effectively he was finished at 29.

It also seems a bit unjust that Mick Jones only got three England caps. Many less deserving have received significantly more.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

My favourite player from the Revie era. Hard grafting no nonsense player who didn't shine as very skillful, but it's what you do with the ball, and putting your body in where others wouldn't, for team and club, that put him on a pedestal for me.A great shame that injury finished his career early.
Just mentioning that I saw a little bit of Mick Jones in Roberto Becchio.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Great player worked well alongside Sniffer. Yes his hat trick against Scum is my favourite memory of him. Mind seeing him climb the steps at Wembley in 72 still gets to me to this day. Ended up selling sports gear at places like Retford market. Have been fortunate to meet him a few times & he’s a proper gentleman.
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Lets just enjoy a bit of Mick Jones "M - MI - MIC - MICK - MICK JONES"

As soon as I saw the thread that chant came into my head :D