2021 - 2022 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 2021 - 2022 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by Selby White »

corkleedsmot wrote:
Selby White wrote:
corkleedsmot wrote:A $20 mill defender isn't realistic?
He cost Barca 21mill euros with 5 mill add ons.
Since then he's played numerous times for them and as over 3 years of his contract to run. Has become a full international.
He would cost much more than $20mill.

Would suspect around £50mill as a estimate.
Dest was already an international and barca paid 140 million for dembele, do they get that if he has 3 years on him contract? Not a hope

Dest stock has not risen and Barca want rid because Xavi doesn't want him. The reason why he is available is Barca are trying to raise funds and recoup what they paid
Dest played a few games for USA (count them on one hand) before signing for Barca, since became a regular.

He's also played 48 times for Barca in under 2 seasons so yes his value will be higher at this moment in time.

3 years on his contract is often max value for players, value often doesn't start to really drop until they have around 18 months left (or form has dropped).

But whatever that is how I see it, you clearly have inside information the knowing he's for sale at a bargain price so will bow to that.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
CheeznOnionPasty
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by CheeznOnionPasty »

Funnily enough, pretty much every time I overhaul the Leeds Utd squad in Football Manager (which is all I ever do in that game, one Leeds save, followed by another and another..!) in the 2022 edition, Sergino Dest is one of my first few transfer targets.

In real life we have absolutely zero chance of landing him. As SW explained, he's making too much progress, too quickly, is too highly rated and is on the watch list of every elite club in Europe. He won't be coming to play for Leeds - we need to catch players like him when they're 18-19 and just about to make that first jump to a bigger club in a bigger league.

We'll get linked with him repeatedly all summer because he's young and amazing and the media want your clicks and ad revenue but we won't be buying him - sadly I might add, I would love to see him in a Leeds shirt.

Frankly plundering both USA and Canada's national sides for their best upcoming talent wouldn't be a bad strategy, if you can catch them before they move to a Barcelona or Borrusia Dortmund, then there's some good talent that's not too expensive. Got to get in early though, Jonathan David is another example of someone it would have been good to sign two years ago, his stock has risen too high now for us to likely be able to land him.
mshnd06
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by mshnd06 »

CheeznOnionPasty wrote:Funnily enough, pretty much every time I overhaul the Leeds Utd squad in Football Manager (which is all I ever do in that game, one Leeds save, followed by another and another..!) in the 2022 edition, Sergino Dest is one of my first few transfer targets.

In real life we have absolutely zero chance of landing him. As SW explained, he's making too much progress, too quickly, is too highly rated and is on the watch list of every elite club in Europe. He won't be coming to play for Leeds - we need to catch players like him when they're 18-19 and just about to make that first jump to a bigger club in a bigger league.

We'll get linked with him repeatedly all summer because he's young and amazing and the media want your clicks and ad revenue but we won't be buying him - sadly I might add, I would love to see him in a Leeds shirt.

Frankly plundering both USA and Canada's national sides for their best upcoming talent wouldn't be a bad strategy, if you can catch them before they move to a Barcelona or Borrusia Dortmund, then there's some good talent that's not too expensive. Got to get in early though, Jonathan David is another example of someone it would have been good to sign two years ago, his stock has risen too high now for us to likely be able to land him.
Cade Cowell, Paxton Pomykal, Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty, Paxten Aaronson worth taking a look imo. Alan Velasco and Mbacke from the MLS, non-US, non-Canada category
Last edited by mshnd06 on 13 Apr 2022, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by corkleedsmot »

superfox wrote:
corkleedsmot wrote:
Selby White wrote:
corkleedsmot wrote:A $20 mill defender isn't realistic?
He cost Barca 21mill euros with 5 mill add ons.
Since then he's played numerous times for them and as over 3 years of his contract to run. Has become a full international.
He would cost much more than $20mill.

Would suspect around £50mill as a estimate.
Dest was already an international and barca paid 140 million for dembele, do they get that if he has 3 years on him contract? Not a hope

Dest stock has not risen and Barca want rid because Xavi doesn't want him. The reason why he is available is Barca are trying to raise funds and recoup what they paid
Even if you're right, he's on the radar of clubs like Arsenal, Atletico Madrid, Chelsea, Roma, Napoli, teams playing European football.
He will not even think of coming to a lower house team, especially with Bielsa now went.
This is the kind of unrealistic Football Manager-signing people hope for, the Cunhas and the De Pauls coming every transfer window.
I agree with this, it will be tough but I only gave my dream window :D . Will be tough to land him but Villa could land Coutinho who there on loan and is a far higher profile Barcelona player. The buy option there is 33 mill supposedly. Money talks now and we have more money than Roma and Napoli's of the world. West ham are in for Kamara vs a host of top clubs and I think we should be doing similar. Players will often prefer game time etc and might be drawn to different projects.

@selby white I am not trying to have a go I am just desperate for a good transfer window :lol: and I really think we need to show ambition this summer and stop behaving like Norwich and behave like Villa and West ham because we are at that level financially now
The Squirrel
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by The Squirrel »

Two fullbacks and a central midfielder, minimum for me.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

The Squirrel wrote:Two fullbacks and a central midfielder, minimum for me.
Assuming Drameh comes back, coupled with Ayling, I don’t see another RB coming in.

I cannot make my mind up on Firpo. I went to the pre season friendly v Real Betis at Loughborough and I was convinced he’d be brilliant. Throughout the season, I’m convinced he’s zero positional sense but has got a goal/assist in him in the future.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
The Squirrel
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by The Squirrel »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Assuming Drameh comes back, coupled with Ayling, I don’t see another RB coming in.

I cannot make my mind up on Firpo. I went to the pre season friendly v Real Betis at Loughborough and I was convinced he’d be brilliant. Throughout the season, I’m convinced he’s zero positional sense but has got a goal/assist in him in the future.

Maybe Firpo just couldn't get his head around man marking? I hope I'm wrong and Marsch sees something in him and he turns out great, but he has shown nothing for me so far.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

The Squirrel wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:

Maybe Firpo just couldn't get his head around man marking? I hope I'm wrong and Marsch sees something in him and he turns out great, but he has shown nothing for me so far.
As mentioned, I can’t make my mind up on him. Good going forward at times, but gets caught out of position several times which, obviously, makes it easy for the opposition.

I’ve no doubt Marsch will stick with him, and as you say hopefully he turns out great, but I’m not convinced he will.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
John Dane
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by John Dane »

Barlow Boy wrote:

:lol: A bit harsh perhaps, but I agree. And he looks much more interested in going forward, in a couple of games he looked very good when Rapha switched with Harrison and played as a left winger and the two of them made things happen (almost like good old days, when you couldn’t tell if it was Harrison or Alioski, who played as a winger).
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

John Dane wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:

:lol: A bit harsh perhaps, but I agree. And he looks much more interested in going forward, in a couple of games he looked very good when Rapha switched with Harrison and played as a left winger and the two of them made things happen (almost like good old days, when you couldn’t tell if it was Harrison or Alioski, who played as a winger).
Drameh seems to have had a successful loan so far and looks a have a very good future. I wonder though if he would be interested in coming back and playing for Leeds or will he demand to be sold in the same way as he did in getting his loan to Cardiff. There's been a change in Head Coach in the interim so maybe the situation has changed for Drameh but it was being reported that he cut many ties / burnt bridges on departure to Cardiff,
Firpo on what is evidenced so far has little positional sense causing havoc in defence, seems not to know to tackle and lacks discipline as his strongarm tactics seems to get him a booking more often than not. We could and need to do better at left back
Keep The Faith / WAL