2021 - 2022 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 2021 - 2022 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by Selby White »

Costy wrote:We definitely should not forget or under appreciate the part Costa played in getting us to where we are now. He scored a handful of important goals and created a few as well, and was part of a good team that we all loved watching. It's true that he seems not to be quite up to the standard we need now, but every Leeds fan should be thanking him and wishing him well (like they are on here) instead of just giving him idiotic abuse on Twitter. The people who do that are losers in my view.
Think that is well said Costy its very easy to just forget those that weren't our favourites but they have still played our part.

One game that sticks out for me where he should have got a lot more credit than he did was the Man City 10 man victory (of course Dallas deserved the POM). Its often forgotten for both of our goals that day that Costa was the outlet from defence for both goals.
He held it up on the wing before prodding it to Bamford who played in Dallas for the first.
Similar with the 2nd he collected it from our backs before picking a pass to Alioski who then put Dallas through. Neither classed as an assist (the most overrated statistic in my view) but equally important.
That day when Coops was red carded like most i thought he would be sacrificed and we would rely on Bamford keeping the entire City back line occupied.
MB in my opinion played a master stroke in leaving two pacy wingers on, taking off Bamford and concentrating on a defence with the others.
One wide right, one wide left gave us two outlets and maintained a threat, of each coming to the middle when the other wing received the ball and anyone else who could support.
In fact if Raphina had spotted Costa making a great run through the middle in the attack he was taken out and passed the ball earlier Costa would have been through on goal prior to the Dallas winner. Of course Raphina also wouldn't have missed the next games with injury either.

Not first choice anymore but thanks for been part at the start of great time here.
Featured in 43 of our promotion season matches and contributed 3 goals in only 14 appearances at Prem level.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Shadwell White
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Shadwell White »

There is a large poster on my office wall showing the team celebrating becoming Champions and Costa is in it and will be remembered by me for being part of the team that got us back to the top division. Good luck to him for the future.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Yes I'll add good luck to this as well.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
yorkfan
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by yorkfan »

I agree that Costa never seemed to get the appreciation he deserved, attracting more negative comments than positive.

Good luck to the lad, now playing in the sunshine, and I still smile at the clever "Costa has arrived" video which the club put out, with it's skit on Deliveroo turning up at Thorpe Arch with a cup of coffee.

Made I larf.
Aqua-

Post by Aqua- »

Indeed. Good luck to costa and welcome dan james.

Like everybody said before, he was a regular in a magnificent season that took us where we belong.
I think he could've been a super player if he was a tad more physical, similar to ronaldo getting jacked on his 1st season at scum, which added to his game so much.

Anyway. I think la liga will be good for his ad it's a less physical and more technical league which suits his qualities and style of play.

Good luck and thanks for your contribution.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Aqua- wrote:Any rumors about costa's alleged buying price coming next summer?
https://www.teamtalk.com/news/reports-r ... s-thinking
While Leeds have not revealed what that fee will be, reports in Spain suggest Valencia have paid a €2m loan fee to Leeds and have the option to make it a permanent €10m deal next summer.

According to Spanish radio station Tribuna Deportiva, Valencia will also pay a portion of Costa’s wages this season. They claim Costa earns €3m a year at Elland Road – around £45,000 a week – with Leeds continuing to pay half of that during his season on loan.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
TelfordLeeds
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by TelfordLeeds »

Costa could well be suited to La Liga as it is less physical, hopefully he gets back to form he showed at Wolves before an horrendous injury. Leeds unfortunately never saw the best of him.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

Always thought there was a player in there but for some reason it just didn't work out for him but as all of you guys have mentioned he played a role in helping us back to the promise land for which I can't thank him enough. Hope it works out for him, as someone as already mentioned La Liga might just suit him more because it isn't that physical. Just as Poveda at Blackburn I'll be keeping an eye on his progress. Thx Helder! :thumbup:
Independent Republic
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Independent Republic »

I think Costas biggest problem was the price we paid for him and not the player himself. I admit that I let the £16m price tag colour my view of him (As I am doing at the minute with James - which I will get over), but I always thought Costa added great quality to our Championship winning side, but felt that he lacked a certain physicality. This has played out a bit more in the PL and I think it’s a good move for both player and club. I hope he does well & best of luck to him.
Leicester White

Post by Leicester White »

TelfordLeeds wrote:Costa could well be suited to La Liga as it is less physical, hopefully he gets back to form he showed at Wolves before an horrendous injury. Leeds unfortunately never saw the best of him.
I didn't know that... might explain why he sometimes didn't go in fully committed for a 50:50 ball