2021 - 2022 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

2021 - 2022 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by Barlow Boy »

A new season, a new thread for the rumours and squad discussions for the forthcoming season.

A must for me is a left back, other than that I don’t see a great deal of activity as far as incomings are concerned, 3/4 maximum.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 2021 - 2022 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by SiMamu »

I'd say a LB and a CM are what we definitely need. Other than that, maybe another winger or forward depending on departures, and possibly a GK if Casilla leaves.

Call it a lack of imagination, but maybe Ryan Sessegnon and Conor Gallagher on loan?
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Very exciting BB. Up until the point Bielsa made me realise that new signings wasn't the only way of improving a team, this was my favourite thread on the forum.

For me a left back, a central midfielder and an ageing-but-still-good-enough replacement for Kiko are essential, and I'd like another pacy tricky wide player too (potentially replacing an outgoing Costa). Central midfielder will be the most interesting/tricky one, given the variety of combinations with the existing squad. Personally I want to see more of Rodrigo, but up front rather than at no.10, so I'd like to see us go for an 8/10 hybrid. Rodrigo de Paul is the obvious name. Teun Koopmeiners, Sander Berge or Emi Buendía would also be great, but all likely unaffordable.

Agree that Conor Gallagher would be a good option, as would Ainsley Maitland-Niles (who managed to still look good even in that dire WBA side), or Michael Olise, who I think Bielsa could do wonders with. Jason Knight or Louis Sibley from Derby would also be potentially good, although not of the same scale as de Paul etc.

At LB, I was frustrated we didn't sign Antonee Robinson when Fulham snapped him up, and still think he could fit the bill, as could .
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

I don't know why they call them full-backs anymore, the Leeds lads are more wing-backs these days - double agents actually, disguised as full-backs but really they're marauding wingers :P

I understand Alioski is 'expected' to leave but nothing is certain yet - suspect that he is seeing how he fares in the EC's and then considering his options. This isn't trying to stir a civilised debate or anything, I asked this recently and I meant it - for all his faults, how many better left-backs has there been in the Prem this season?
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Another Northern Soul wrote:This isn't trying to stir a civilised debate or anything, I asked this recently and I meant it - for all his faults, how many better left-backs has there been in the Prem this season?
I'd really like him to stay for obvious reasons, and agree he's been 75% very good this season, but I'd also like us to sign a more consistent and/or up-and-coming LB regardless of whether he stays or not.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
mintyshoe
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by mintyshoe »

No need for an upheaval -

Outs: Berardi, Hernandez, Costa, Kiko, Alioski
Ins: Gallagher (loan + option), Heaton (free), Lang and/or Cunha (C. £15m + £25m), LB
gilesdriveby
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by gilesdriveby »

I would have said that Alioski was better than Gallagher at the weekend but BB would be better able to judge. Mc Camont may come back from loan which will give us more options. Interesting to see if Forshaw stays or goes
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

gilesdriveby wrote:I would have said that Alioski was better than Gallagher at the weekend but BB would be better able to judge. Mc Camont may come back from loan which will give us more options. Interesting to see if Forshaw stays or goes
It was doing the rounds 3 or 4 weeks back that MB wants McCalmont to go on loan again but to a higher league (Championship or League one).
Think the story came from Oldham that they wanted to loan him again and Leeds had said no giving the above reason.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
CanuckMightyWhite
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by CanuckMightyWhite »

mintyshoe wrote:No need for an upheaval -

Outs: Berardi, Hernandez, Costa, Kiko, Alioski
Ins: Gallagher (loan + option), Heaton (free), Lang and/or Cunha (C. £15m + £25m), LB
Ins:
LB - would try and retain Alioski as a backup/rotation given his improvement over the course of the season, unless Leif Davis is ready to step in. We would still need to bring in a starting LB.

CM - Maybe it’s just me but I’m not too impressed with Gallagher, would rather Olise or someone from Europe.

Winger - I liked the highlight reel of Noa Lang but the recent anti-Semitic video and rumours of an attitude problem are enough of a red flag so we will probably look at the next option of a Cunha, Nandez caliber player.

In essence 3 new signings over and above making Harrison permanent.

Outs:
GK - Would like to replace Kiko but not sure if there is a market for him, purely from a playing perspective I think he can serve as an able backup.

Hope to ship Costa and add some U23 talent with whatever funds we receive from his sale.

Loans Out:
Shackleton and Poveda
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

As mentioned, I don’t see many incomings, 3 or 4 at most, I’m not counting Jack Harrison in that who surely will be signed permanently. God knows where Orta gets some of these players from, and trying to speculate who we will get is virtually impossible. The Rodrigo De Paul rumour is up and running again.

Outs -

Kiko Casilla (I can’t see him being happy to sit on the bench again for another season)
Barry Douglas (I don’t see how MB would take him back, so I’d expect him to leave as his contract expires)
Gianni Alioski (As ANS says, nothing confirmed yet, who knows what will happen with him)

Many of the squad players will, no doubt, go out on loan, the likes of Casey, Huggins, McCalmont etc.

Interesting to see what happens with Tyler Roberts, Adam Forshaw and even Helder Costa
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.