Alioski: Stay or Go

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Alioski - Stay Or Go

Poll ended at 12 Jun 2021, 08:01

Want Him To Stay
66%
Want Him To Leave
6%
Not Bothered Either Way
28%

Total votes: 47

Jemsym
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Alioski: Stay or Go

Post by Jemsym »

So now it appears that Alioski has been/is about to be offered a new contract at Leeds and rumours about a pre-contract agreement with the Turks is bulldust.
Never mind all the talk about him being Leeds and how good he is in the changing room, the other team members loving him and his clowning etc
...to me he is just a bloody good footballer!!

In my opinion:

Criticism of his play at left back comes down to fact he is NOT a left back but a winger/midfielder playing out of position and doing very well at it.
That sublime through-ball to Dallas for the second goal in the 2-1 win against MC. It alone deserves a new contract!

I for one really want him to stay, even though we do need a "dyed in the wool" left back. In fact, I think after the fantastic service he has given Leeds it's disgraceful it has to come to the end of the season to offer him one. He needs to be offered a contract that allows him to stay comfortably at Leeds for another 4 years 'til he's 33, even if it means he's an off-the-bench utility player.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Alioski: Stay or Go

Post by Another Northern Soul »

I agree with your sentiments BUT he has had the offer of a new contract on the table for weeks. Even then though, I'm not that annoyed about it, I want him to stay. I think there was genuine interest in him from Turkey and Alioski might well have been up for a move there.

As I mentioned on another thread about him, has there been any better and more consistent attacking left-backs than him in the league? I'm not sure I've seen one. This is the same with all our players, they work THAT hard in matches that they usually make up for errors by working so hard to make amends. He's our Dill the Dog :D
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

I would like him to stay.

It's true that he's not a proper left back although he's done it at Leeds and his country, he is the type of player that Biesla wants in that position, he does not want a proper left back as we think like Terry Cooper or even Tony Dorigo in days gone by, times changed since then as has football. In Marcelo we trust! :thumbup:
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

He has had a fantastic couple of seasons with us and Marcelo Bielsa has brought the best out of him. No one can argue that he gives anything less than 100% every time he turns out and when he is not picked he is not the complaining type. He has been as good to LUFC as the Club has been for him. Yes he has his dodgy moments and he sometimes makes you wince bot on the whole it's been a great ride in a cracking team.

I get the feeling however that there is a good likelihood that he will player fewer games if he stays and also there is the lure of a golden end of career contract elsewhere that is proving to be tempting. I would not blame the player wanting to secure his future and get sorted for his family. If he does go to that dreadful Turkish side I will not say one other word about Alioski again in the future.

Sadly he will be forgotten in that instant
Keep The Faith / WAL
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Jemsym wrote:So now it appears that Alioski has been/is about to be offered a new contract at Leeds and rumours about a pre-contract agreement with the Turks is bulldust.
Never mind all the talk about him being Leeds and how good he is in the changing room, the other team members loving him and his clowning etc
...to me he is just a bloody good footballer!!

In my opinion:

Criticism of his play at left back comes down to fact he is NOT a left back but a winger/midfielder playing out of position and doing very well at it.
That sublime through-ball to Dallas for the second goal in the 2-1 win against MC. It alone deserves a new contract!

I for one really want him to stay, even though we do need a "dyed in the wool" left back. In fact, I think after the fantastic service he has given Leeds it's disgraceful it has to come to the end of the season to offer him one. He needs to be offered a contract that allows him to stay comfortably at Leeds for another 4 years 'til he's 33, even if it means he's an off-the-bench utility player.
I don't think the reference to a contract offer on the official retained page was news Jemsym - as I understand it an offer's been on the table for some time, and Alioski hasn't taken it, so the situation is the same as ever. He's leaving in the coming weeks unless he decides to take the offer or the club up it.

For what it's worth I'd like to keep him and sign a higher quality starting LB. Alioski might be a liability half the time, but it's nice to be able to bring on such a strong runner and unpredictable force at certain points in a game.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Jemsym
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Jemsym »

Sorry guys, you're absolutely right. I should have written that he has been/will be offered ""new terms" to an existing offer, in a (belated) attempt to make him stay. Victor Orta has apparently had a "good conversation" with him to that effect.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Jemsym wrote:Sorry guys, you're absolutely right. I should have written that he has been/will be offered ""new terms" to an existing offer, in a (belated) attempt to make him stay. Victor Orta has apparently had a "good conversation" with him to that effect.
Not meaning to be a knowall but the improved contract was on the table weeks ago, from before the Galatasaray rumours started in fact - so it isn't belated at all, it's standard negotiations by the looks of it to me :thumbup:
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

I appreciate the effort that the lad puts in, and he seems to be a popular team member, but I wouldn’t be disappointed if he moved on. He does some brainless things from time to time, and often gives the ball away needlessly. I hope we’re going to be bringing in a quality left back this summer, so if Alioski stays, I can’t see him being a regular starter. Maybe he will be effective as a late match sub, coming on to wind up and frustrate a tired opposition.

So, whatever he decides to do (or wherever he decides to go), I can’t say I’m that bothered really.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Mr Russell wrote:I would like him to stay.

It's true that he's not a proper left back although he's done it at Leeds and his country, he is the type of player that Biesla wants in that position, he does not want a proper left back as we think like Terry Cooper or even Tony Dorigo in days gone by, times changed since then as has football. In Marcelo we trust! :thumbup:
This is how I see Alioski, I think as fans we've got to look at our fullbacks differently under MB's system to what we've understood in the past, they are really 2nd wingers most of the time and only play the traditional full back role when we are under the cosh. Given the possession statistics that is not too often.
I've said it before on here but our FB's get into the opponents box in open play more than any I've ever seen anywhere (whether its Alioski, Dallas or Ayling).

When called upon to defend Alioski isn't as bad as some make out, yes the odd error maybe but all players make them, didn't doo too bad when marking Bale.

Towards the end of the season watched a couple of Man city games and they had Mendy at LB who cost £50mill and same with Chelsea who had Alonso (£24mill), you know what didn't think either offered as much as our bargain buy from Lugano.

Not saying there isn't better out there but to fit our system it wont be that easy to find one. I do believe Davies & Huggins are been developed but neither are ready yet in my view.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
yorkfan
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by yorkfan »

Just to be completely facetious for a mo', and not taking away from Alioski's 100% effort, every time he plays, together with his skills as an attacking fullback, every team needs a nutter within their ranks, and he is, most definitely, our nutter, and for that, I love the guy.

He is able to get into the head of whoever he's marking, and a while back, his celebrations to the cardboard crowd when he scored .......... priceless!

For these reasons, I hope he signs his new contract, and will therefore continue to entertain us. :clap: