What does the club mean to you ?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

What does the club mean to you ?

Post by NottinghamWhite »

My love affair with the club began well over half a century ago. In the early days it was all consuming grabbing any overtime that was going to get enough money to get to the games. I’ve posted on here several times how 1969-70 was the season I travelled the length & breadth of the country to get my fix. FA Cup final, important league games & the Charity Shield were attended plus a few European games, all at home.
When we relegated to League 1 I felt it was my duty to support the team missing only a handful of games it still seems surreal even today that we played a league game at Roots Hall & a cup game at Histon.
Today my support is done via the TV or live streams but my love for the club is still there. I started taking my daughter to games & now she is totally addicted missing very few games home or away. I cofounded Nottingham Whites where I was amazed how many whites lived in around my adopted city.
Today as soon as I’m awake, coffee in hand I trawl the internet for any news on the club. What does the club mean to you ?
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: What does the club mean to you ?

Post by Selby White »

Very much a similar story as NW that I've been a fan for over 50 years. Was fortunate enough to have two football loving parents (Leeds fans) who started me going to games from a very young age.
11 years old got my first season ticket just in time for our first title in 69 and held one for the next 20 years or so.
Many years went everywhere home and away, great time in my life.

Other commitments saw me give up the season ticket and become casual just attending a few games per season as and when I could. Basically Sundays were my big issue and when games stopped been predominately Saturday afternoons I let the season ticket go.
Harder to get tickets for games nowadays so like NW lot of my watching is on a TV screen but my passion is just the same.

Mrs SW calls Leeds Utd my first love and she is not wrong.

To note my plan is to get a season ticket again and am currently with the thousands on the waiting list.

A Football Club is for life not just Christmas ;)
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

I remember most parts of my first game at ER back in 1991, I went along with my 3 uncles and cousin. The game was against Liverpool, think it may have been 4-4 or we lost 5-4, not sure without looking it up. I was 10 at the time and never experienced such an atmosphere and from that day on I was hooked. I was football nuts at that time, and it just grew stronger as life went on. I've cried more times watching Leeds Utd than I have with personal losses in the family. I remember I was in the pub when we played Donny at Wembley in the play-off final, I was living in Rotherham at the time and most of my mates we're Rotherham or Sheff Weds fans and I broke down into tears when the final whistle blew, the emotion got the better of me and my mates have never let me live it down! Similar to you, Selbs, my partner knows that Leeds Utd is my first love. I remember the first time we met and she asked me about hobbies etc, the usual questions you get when you are out on your first date and I simply said, I have to be honest with you. Leeds Utd is the biggest thing in my life, bigger than friends and family and if you can somehow accept that, we'll get on alright! And to be fair, we're still together and she's never asked me to sacrifice any match for her - god bless her!
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

I have married twice and lived with a couple of other ladies in my life but have always stayed with my first real love, Leeds United. Many happy memories and am just glad the club are back in the Premiership so we pit our wits against some of the best in the world. Even during the ‘dark days’ you would still see cars and vans displaying their loyalty to the club. Many a time I’ve been driving and as a vehicle over took me there be a beep of the horn followed by the salute. No other club has as many fans displaying who their club are, even Scum fans come nowhere near.
How many clubs have fans worldwide like we have. A normal match day look in the coach park and there’s coaches from Scarborough, South Wales, Cornwall, West Midlands, Cumbria, The Chilterns, Thames Valley , Cumbria just to name a few.
Proud to be Leeds
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Same as most here, trawling the internet every morning looking for my Leeds fix. During some very hard times just a radio on match day was a highlight that brightened a day, waiting for that "and theres been a goal at Elland Raod........." if we won it cheered me no end, lose and the day seemed harder. I couldn't do what I do now and surf for all match reports and videos especially after a win as I had no pc or smart phone. Then came League 1 which as for us all was a real blow, stick from friends and neighbours even Traceys family :D But we got back to the promised land and did so playing football that those same micky takers are raving about.

I was addicted to Leeds long before the hard times both mine and the clubs, they helped brighten some dark days (wish they could've brightening a few fecking more though :D )

On TV match day everyone knows not to expect anything from me, no DIY help, no visits, no going out... simple Leeds are on TV end off.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

It’s definitely a given here that if we’re on telly I’m in charge of the remote. Sue was a season ticket holder with me in the east stand for several seasons so enjoys watching the games with me. I agree with CW in that it’s great to get a beep on the motorway or elsewhere also doing the Leeds salute which must be unique in world football ?
Winner of the Europa League
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Well over 50 years for me as well, I have nowhere near the amount of games seen by a lot of you lads as living down here and thoroughly immersed in playing put limits on that, i have been to ER plenty of times and used to try and get to my local ones, Pompey, Brighton, Saints, CP, Chelsea and that one at Bournemouth (what a day). My younger brother (15Months) was Man Utd, we slept in the same bedroom his wall was floor to ceiling in posters as was mine, certainly our rivalry was as strong it was on the pitch.
Last weekend we had the circus on the green at the seafront, we took the Grandkids along sat down unaware I was sitting next to an old boyfriend of my daughters, he started chatting and mentioned that he still checks Leeds results and was pleased to see them back in the prem, its a regular thing, friends always asking about Leeds because i am always on about them, so proud to be a Leeds fan, especially at these times.
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

Could virtually write much the same as others here but quite simply removes the need for religion in my life.
It's what I worship.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

I'll just sum it up in one word.............................EVERYTHING! :D
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.