Some interesting info on our club Song

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deebo
LUFCTALK Admin

Some interesting info on our club Song

Post by Deebo »

Ah, the interesting things you find on the internet at random. Came across some info on Barry Mason, co-writer of Leeds! Leeds! Leeds! (our club song)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Barry Mason (known professionally as Barry Mason) is an English songwriter, originally from the village of Coppull, near Chorley in Lancashire.

A leading songwriter of the 1960s, he wrote many of his most successful songs in partnership with Les Reed.

Mason gained many gold and platinum awards for his work including five Ivor Novello Awards, the most recent of them in 1998.

His songwriting credits included "Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)", "The Last Waltz", "Here It Comes Again", "I Pretend",

"There Goes My First Love", "A Man Without Love", "Winter World of Love" "Now That You are Gone", and "Delilah".

His songs have been recorded by Tom Jones, P. J. Proby, David Essex, The Drifters, Rod Stewart, Petula Clark, Perry Como, Elvis Presley,

Engelbert Humperdinck, The Fortunes, Charles Aznavour, Tony Christie, Mireille Mathieu, Barbra Streisand, and The Dave Clark Five.

Mason and Reed wrote "Who's Doctor Who", a novelty song recorded by Doctor Who star Frazer Hines in 1967, but it failed to chart.

They also wrote "Marching On Together" (aka "Leeds! Leeds! Leeds!"), the anthem of Leeds United A.F.C..

-------------------------------------

There was also a great article on Sabotage Times about the song here:

http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/leed ... or-speedo/

I am desperatly trying to avoid all talk and rumours about the latest takeover. When will it ever end as a Leeds fan?? MOT!
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Some interesting info on our club Song

Post by Sheepy »

Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes) - I love that song!

But not better than MOT!
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by corkleedsmot »

i think it would be hilarious if leeds fans learned lots of his songs as a tribute..30k+ leeds fans singing delilah and others would be really funny (when we are winning obviously)
Deebo
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Deebo »

Funnilly enough, Stoke City's main song is "Delilah". I didn't know about this until I read Steve Foster's excellent "She Stood There Laughing", a fan''s account of a season at Stoke.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/She-Stood-There ... e+laughing

But yeah, I love the idea of another song of his being taken up. Love Grows, I second that Sheepy!
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by corkleedsmot »

oh well delilah is out then...
SammyHughes
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by SammyHughes »

We could all sing "Here It Comes Again" when we go into administration next month.
Or "A Man Without Love" when Cellino takes over.
Or "Now That You are Gone" when Cellino sacks BM (again) ;)
ulster_white
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by ulster_white »

I wish people would stop calling our song Marching On Together it's called Leeds Leeds Leeds, it even says so on my single bought in 1972, still plays still sounds great you cant beat an original.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Her indoor's wee one who's 11 supports Liverpool after his dad. He now says Leeds are his second team (am working on it) but the only song you hear him singing from his room is Leeds Leeds Leeds. I even hear him muttering to himself "I gotta stop singing that my dad goes mad" :D :D :D
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Lairy on the Lowfields
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by Lairy on the Lowfields »

Davycc wrote:Her indoor's wee one who's 11 supports Liverpool after his dad. He now says Leeds are his second team (am working on it) but the only song you hear him singing from his room is Leeds Leeds Leeds. I even hear him muttering to himself "I gotta stop singing that my dad goes mad" :D :D :D
Be careful Davy, bringing up children to support Leeds is frowned upon by UNICEF and social services, but much better than being a bin dipper. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Independent Republic
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Independent Republic »

Lairy on the Lowfields wrote:
Davycc wrote:Her indoor's wee one who's 11 supports Liverpool after his dad. He now says Leeds are his second team (am working on it) but the only song you hear him singing from his room is Leeds Leeds Leeds. I even hear him muttering to himself "I gotta stop singing that my dad goes mad" :D :D :D
Be careful Davy, bringing up children to support Leeds is frowned upon by UNICEF and social services, but much better than being a bin dipper. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes I have also been warned as such. I have lost my 2 eldest to the scum (but that won't last :thumbup: )but my little one old loves Leeds! Leeds! Leeds! And sings it every time he sees my cup, jersey or Leeds on the TV. I'll make hay while the sun shines cos he's a bright kid and is bound to see sense at some stage, unlike his auld fella :lol: