Premiership expectations 2021-2022

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Expectations

Relegated
No votes
Low table but no relegated
4%
Mid table
41%
EL places
51%
CL places
4%
Champions
No votes

Total votes: 51

NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Premiership expectations 2021-2022

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Well we’ve had a season with the big boys how will fare in season 2 ?
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Premiership expectations 2021-2022

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Progression for me would be to finish 7th we were only 3 points from achieving that last season. Can’t see us finishing any where near a Champions league place, sadly.
Winner of the Europa League
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Have gone for mid-table, but hoping for a push for EL. Although I think we're much better set up than Shef Utd for example, I'm still wary of second season syndrome.

Weighing up the league as a whole, a few observations:

- I expect us and Villa to continue to be on a similar trajectory in pushing from mid-table to European places. They've already strengthened with Buendía,
- Brighton underperformed against lots of key last season. I expect them to be much better.
- The promoted teams will be interesting to watch. I think all 3 are better on paper than Fulham or West Brom, so could be more competitive at the bottom this season than last, but will be interesting to see whether Brentford are able to hold onto Toney and strengthen, and whether Frank's insistence on sticking to his style will end up more like Leeds or Norwich 2 seasons ago.
- Newcastle will be in real trouble unless they strengthen. See also: Burnley.
- Palace could go one way or the other. Without a full squad overhaul and time to bed in new players, they'll also really struggle.
- Wolves are another hard one to predict, but if they lose Neves I could see them struggling without Nuno's leadership.
- Everton, Arsenal and Spurs all being a bit of a mess gives me hope we can get well into the top half.

All of that goes to say that there are a fair few teams in a state of flux, which should see us safe. Breaking into top 6 will be a very difficult ask, but I'm hopeful of Europa Conference provided we can bring in a versatile, creative no.8/10, a top quality LB, another top quality winger, and a backup keeper.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Can't see us breaking into the top four I expect that to be Chelsea, Liverpool and the two Manchester clubs.

After that not much to choose between us and the rest that are chasing European spots.
Of those that finished above us I think Leicester have peaked and expect them to not reach the same levels, bit same with West Ham will struggle to repeat what they achieved.
Spurs looked poor without Kane so they will need to use the cash well to compete.
I think Arsenal will be a force in and around 5th place not unbeatable though.
Of those below us think we are better than them although of course a argument can be made for Villa and Everton.
Dark horses I think Southampton will do OK.

Will settle for 5th and a cup final.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

Top6 finish for me is defintely achieveable. Citeh, Chelski and Liverpool will occupy the top3 with Scum and Leicester contesting the remaining CL spot. Spurs and now Everton are in quite a mess, there's rumours circulating that Richarlison and Rodriguez now want to leave after Ancelotti's exit. Arsenal are way too inconsistent but it will be interesting to see how they do in the league without European football, they won't be able to get any top, top transfers IMO. Villa, for me will be mid-table, Buendia could just be a replacement for Grealish and if that's the case Villa won't be the same team without that falling fairy. Tough seasons for Wolves, Burnley and Palace with the latter a possible relegation contender and probably will go down imo. Brighton will be fine but they don't have a goalscorer but have enough to survive. Newcastle will have a typical Newcastle season, they'll do enough when it matters to avoid relegation. Brentford will do fine just base on how they play football, I don't think they'll struggle as much as the likes of Burnley and Newcastle. Norwich will go straight back down, I find it unreal they've come up and instantly sold their best player. Watford will also go down, they have a real lack of quality.

Now back to us! The last 10 games or so we we're so much solid in defence and still able to score a lot of goals. The experience of last season will only help us further. If we add quality, which I think we will, we're gonna cause teams real problems. If you look at the top teams who have so many going to the Euros or the Copa America they have players who won't get a proper pre-season and it will be a quick turnaround for them. Because of this and how fit we are (the fittest in the league), the possibility of a packed ER I can actually see us getting off to a fantastic start. I can't wait. I just want to fast forward to the first day of the season.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

I agree Manchester City, Scum, Liverpool and Chelsea will qualify for the Champions League. Of the rest Leicester have peaked, West Ham had a great season can’t see a repeat next year, Spurs and Arsenal will struggle TH in particular if Kane goes. Everton will finish top 10 and I expect Villa to have a good season especially if they keep splashing the cash, a lot though will depend on if they keep Grealish.
I think 7th is a decent prediction and would surpass most fans expectations.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

We saw the team develop as the season went on from a crash, bank wallop outfit - a match for all comers - to one that is a more mature and considered opponent that made the other guy give us respect. In the coming season I am imagining two or three signings that will add meat to the competition in the first 11 and also bring in more quality which takes us onto the next level up.

For me a small step more than last season is where I reckon we'll be. Not quite Champions League but just on the next level down.

All this with the hope that Marcelo Bielsa signs up again. :think:
Keep The Faith / WAL
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Went for the Europa League spot but obviously wouldn't say no to a higher placing. I think with another season in the Prem under our belt and if MB stays yet again we should be in a good position to give a good account of ourselves in Europe. Speaking of being ready reminds me of our first match in the Champions League when we were thrashed 4-0 by Barcelona and I thought perhaps we weren't ready......
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I am more than happy with ‘same again’ for this season, a comfortable mid table position.

Radrizzani said himself we need to establish ourselves for 2/3 years before we start even thinking about Europe, and I think he’s correct. At that stage, we should have a big enough squad to compete on all levels, but we aren’t there yet for me.

I would like to see us have a serious tilt at the carabao cup this time round though.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

Barlow Boy wrote:I am more than happy with ‘same again’ for this season, a comfortable mid table position.

Radrizzani said himself we need to establish ourselves for 2/3 years before we start even thinking about Europe, and I think he’s correct. At that stage, we should have a big enough squad to compete on all levels, but we aren’t there yet for me.

I would like to see us have a serious tilt at the carabao cup this time round though.
BB, What are you thinking for your season long bet?

I've gone for 9-2 on Top 6 with a saver bet at Evens on Top 10, so hoping the voters on the poll are clairvoyant :-)