Premiership expectations 2021-2022

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Expectations

Relegated
No votes
Low table but no relegated
4%
Mid table
41%
EL places
51%
CL places
4%
Champions
No votes

Total votes: 51

Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Premiership expectations 2021-2022

Post by Barlow Boy »

Leicester White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:I am more than happy with ‘same again’ for this season, a comfortable mid table position.

Radrizzani said himself we need to establish ourselves for 2/3 years before we start even thinking about Europe, and I think he’s correct. At that stage, we should have a big enough squad to compete on all levels, but we aren’t there yet for me.

I would like to see us have a serious tilt at the carabao cup this time round though.
BB, What are you thinking for your season long bet?

I've gone for 9-2 on Top 6 with a saver bet at Evens on Top 10, so hoping the voters on the poll are clairvoyant :-)
Firstly, congratulations on your top half win, brave one that :thumbup:.

It’s too early for me yet, but I was thinking of taking on Villa in a ‘match bet’. We will be odds-on, but that doesn’t bother me as I have a decent enough bet.

P.S Shortly after I’d been paid out for my ‘top promoted club bet’, I received an e-mail withdrawing all special offers etc from my account and telling me I couldn’t bet on certain things :lol: :lol: :lol:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

Cheers BB.
I hate that, the bookies make millions and they have a fun punter make a few quid and start to limit what they can do - effectively I've been banned from SkyBet, Ladbrokes and Coral by making my max stake tiny!
Might be worth getting on that before they sell Grealish.
I did get a lawyer at my tennis club to have a friendly tenner on Leeds finishing above his club Villa and that almost felt sweeter than my big win at the bookies :-)
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Leicester White wrote:Cheers BB.
I hate that, the bookies make millions and they have a fun punter make a few quid and start to limit what they can do - effectively I've been banned from SkyBet, Ladbrokes and Coral by making my max stake tiny!
Might be worth getting on that before they sell Grealish.
I did get a lawyer at my tennis club to have a friendly tenner on Leeds finishing above his club Villa and that almost felt sweeter than my big win at the bookies :-)
I wouldn’t mind, but I don’t even bother with the bonus bets that they have withdrawn, absolutely pointless what they have done. I win a few grand from a company that literally makes millions, and they decide to withdraw betting options that I don’t even bet on :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

As I say, it’s early days for me, I’ll be leaving it a while yet, probably until after the Euro’s when the bookies attentions turn to the domestic leagues again.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

I'm thinking more of the same of what we had this year although cut out those annoying losses we had (think Wolves twice, Palace on their ground, Villa at home etc). I'm expecting around 7-10th spot if things work out we could be in Europe like the 7th place team will be this forthcoming season. Next season is another stability year in this division before aiming at the Europa League in 2022/2023.

We need to keep building and not do a Sheffield United and finish in the top 10 and then get relegated.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
NI-white
Terry Venables's car dealer

Post by NI-white »

How we perform next season will depend on what players we bring in. If we want to progress we need to add more quality. That doesn't mean we have to spend big, just spend wisely.

I would rather we didn't qualify for any European spot as we don't have the depth of squad to compete in there and compete properly in the league. Another season of proving ourselves like we have just done will do for me. Stability first then think about European football.

There are too many unknowns to make a proper judgement oh how things will go next season, the league is just too unpredictable. Having crowds back next season ( all being well ) will also change things. I think Paddy benefited from there being no fans last season, was able to relax a bit more and not get the abuse he sometimes gets. I think Raphinha is one who could be even better than he was last season with a full ER roaring him on.

Unless we get off to a bad start i don't think we will struggle to stay up......but you never know.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

NI-white wrote:How we perform next season will depend on what players we bring in. If we want to progress we need to add more quality. That doesn't mean we have to spend big, just spend wisely.

I would rather we didn't qualify for any European spot as we don't have the depth of squad to compete in there and compete properly in the league. Another season of proving ourselves like we have just done will do for me. Stability first then think about European football.

There are too many unknowns to make a proper judgement oh how things will go next season, the league is just too unpredictable. Having crowds back next season ( all being well ) will also change things. I think Paddy benefited from there being no fans last season, was able to relax a bit more and not get the abuse he sometimes gets. I think Raphinha is one who could be even better than he was last season with a full ER roaring him on.

Unless we get off to a bad start i don't think we will struggle to stay up......but you never know.
Agree with this, good post. I'm in agreement that finishing 7th-9th while improving the quality of the first 11 and wider squad would be another excellent season. That being said, I wouldn't be annoyed if we did end up with a Europa Conference spot, given the extra revenue would help financially.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

I think we should be aiming to keep the momentum going and be aiming at a European spot.

I hear what others are saying about consolidation and could our squad cope. Probably not at the moment but we have this year's transfers to come and even more importantly if we did qualify next summers deals.

Think also 2 or 3 of the U23's may do a Struijk improving our depth.

I know we look at the likes of what happened to the Blunts but we are not like them, their key players were past their peak.
We have also improved under MB each season, why not again.

Last season we were unlucky with injuries to our 4 big signings, we have lots of the benefit of them still to come. Also expecting a couple of good incoming to add quality, will have to see on that one.

Among the reasons I want us to get into Europe is I believe it will help us keep our better players, fear if we don't the likes of Kalvin & Raph may look elsewhere.
Qualifying with continued progress may also keep MB here longer and I don't want this era to end.
TelfordLeeds
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by TelfordLeeds »

I think 9th again would be a good achievement. Definitely need another striker to chip in with 10 goals as I can't see Bamford doing so well. To finish in the top 7 means finishing above one of the "Super 6" or Leicester. Three quality signings, MB (best manager in the league by a mile) improving our "bottom half Championship" players even more and the clear improvement in the last 10 games of the last season, means we could be in dreamland.
Bielsa_revolution
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Bielsa_revolution »

These expectations are assuming Bielsa stays, right?
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

The hope is we get a few good signings and step on a gear and finish 5th-7th.
The concern is though that some fans will expect this as a bare minimum, and may see a finish outside the top 4 or top 6 as a disappointment.

In Bielsa's first season we finished in a play-off spot, and considering many of the players were the same ones who had finished mid table the season before, there was a lot of talk of how the season finished leaving them disappointed.

We may not finish much higher, and players like Raph may be sold, but that's the model being looked at - emulating Leicester. Which might take getting used to.