Alioski

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NI-white
Terry Venables's car dealer

Re: Alioski

Post by NI-white »

Alioski always give his all, he may not have been the worlds best left back but considering it was never really his natural position i think he did ok. Got caught out making the same mistakes too often for my liking, i thought he never seemed to learn from the mistakes, but maybe that was due in some part to the way we set up to play and his more natural instincts to want to get forward. I imagine he was a real character around the place and I'm sure he was always up to some sort of mischief, but always in a good way. I'm sure he will be missed be all the players and staff.

Having said all that in order to progress you cant stand still and sentimentality cant come into it. We needed a better L/B whether we have the right one ( Junior Firpo ) only time will tell. We have to keep improving our playing squad and if that means a favourite player has to make way then so be it. It has happened in the past and will carry on doing so.

I cant for the life of me understand peoples attitudes to the prospect of Alioski going to that Turkish club no ones wants to mention. This nonsense about if he goes there he should never be mentioned again or will be a traitor is ridiculous.

He was a Leeds player and always will be a Leeds player.

MOT
Aqua-
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Aqua- »

PhoenixUnited wrote:
Otherworld wrote:This might be an unpopular opinion, but the antics that some considered amusing and characterful might also be considered to be childish, irresponsible and unprofessional. I think he stepped over that line a few times.

While I don’t doubt that he gave his all in every game, and he also scored a few cracking goals, he was often guilty of giving the ball away too easily, or doing some frankly stupid things. I have to say that I often found him frustrating to watch.

So, a mixed bag from me, I’m not disappointed to see him moving on. Thanks for your effort and your goals, but I’m hoping to see a more consistent and professional replacement at LB next season.
I get where you are coming from and I agree that some of his antics and play at times was not of the best. However, I think you have to step back a little bit and consider that he was part of a team that collectively gelled together, the rough with the smooth and all the personalities rolled into a team that roared out of the Championship after an overly long wait. It takes a mix of all sorts to make a great team

He just got on with his job without complaint when he was left out for example and if he made mistakes he simply moved on and kept giving his all for the cause. Anyway good luck to him I say. Overall I think the fans will always have a soft spot for him for his efforts for the cause. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I agree. He was childish, unfocused at times, and a weak link in the defence, but he always gave 120% and he did not make scenes when he was shifted to LB. like dallas he played to fill whatever position that was needed and did his best at it.
Berardi said on his exit interview (with pablo) that us leeds fans always let him feel wanted, that in this club you dont have to be the best footballer (called himself average) for the fans to adore you.
Like bera alioski always fought on the pitch and ran an extra sprint, even if his skill did not allow him to succeed all the time, I can appriciate the intent and TBF to him, he had a central role in the last 2 seasons which were the most important and exciting since i started supporting the club.

Although i wanted him to stay for 1 more season to be a backup/rotation player (imo he would've played at least 50% of the matches if he did as a winger/wing back) I wish him well wherever he go.
Farewell :thumbup:
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

NI-white wrote: I cant for the life of me understand peoples attitudes to the prospect of Alioski going to that Turkish club no ones wants to mention. This nonsense about if he goes there he should never be mentioned again or will be a traitor is ridiculous.
Why do you think it’s nonsense and ridiculous NI ?
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

NI-white wrote:
I cant for the life of me understand peoples attitudes to the prospect of Alioski going to that Turkish club no ones wants to mention. This nonsense about if he goes there he should never be mentioned again or will be a traitor is ridiculous.
2 of our fans travelled to Istanbul and never returned, murdered but nothing was done about it. Our fans were attacked by Galatasary supporters. Their fans still gloat about the fact. Nothing was done about this until Turkey applied to join the EU then the murderer was arrested and given a smack on the wrist prison sentence. Alright I’ll accept that Alioski doesn’t get the hatred that the majority of our fans have for this club and their supporters but I’m sure he has an inkling. There’s literally hundreds of clubs he can join and which ever he picks we Leeds fans will wish him all the best but if he goes there then he’s history to me.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

The Fonz wrote:Big part of us getting out of the Championship and establishing ourselves in the Prem.
Good Luck to him.

Yet reading some of the comments such as "not good enough" only suggests to me some fans still don't get the Bielsa system. Fullbacks are attackers with far more freedom than the traditional FBs, basically a 2nd winger.

Loved Alioski to me part of our history.
It depends what your definition of 'good enough' is. For me, good enough includes consistency, as well as technical ability (see: Dallas, Ayling). Alioski was better going forward than defending, but was flawed across his attacking, transition and defensive game, hence why I'm excited by what will hopefully be an improvement in Firpo. Alioski clearly gave his all, had real moments of brilliance, and ran and ran, but also often took the ball down back alleys, put in poor crosses, and most importantly lost the ball under minimal pressure in dangerous positions.

I thoroughly enjoyed his time at Leeds, would've enjoyed another season from him (as a backup), and wish him all the well, but for me he's 'not good enough' for where we want to be.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Leonickroberts wrote:
The Fonz wrote:Big part of us getting out of the Championship and establishing ourselves in the Prem.
Good Luck to him.

Yet reading some of the comments such as "not good enough" only suggests to me some fans still don't get the Bielsa system. Fullbacks are attackers with far more freedom than the traditional FBs, basically a 2nd winger.

It depends what your definition of 'good enough' is. For me, good enough includes consistency, as well as technical ability (see: Dallas, Ayling). Alioski was better going forward than defending, but was flawed across his attacking, transition and defensive game, hence why I'm excited by what will hopefully be an improvement in Firpo. Alioski clearly gave his all, had real moments of brilliance, and ran and ran, but also often took the ball down back alleys, put in poor crosses, and most importantly lost the ball under minimal pressure in dangerous positions.

I thoroughly enjoyed his time at Leeds, would've enjoyed another season from him (as a backup), and wish him all the well, but for me he's 'not good enough' for where we want to be.
When we are talking "not good enough" he was because he was a part of the team that just gave us two great seasons. He fit the Bielsa system it can't be denied and the fact we offered him a contract still suggests MB thought he could play a part, whether that would have been in a reduced role we will never know. Like all players he wasn't perfect but I for one enjoyed watching him play, always on the front foot and willing to support his winger, thought him and Jack linked well.
Two recent matches defensively marking Bale out of the game against Spurs was immense and attacking him running out of defence in the last minute to play that pass to Dallas against Man City when a conventional defender would probably have held position or played the Clock down are things to remember.

Now the "Not Good Enough" may be true when we are talking about taking us to the next level, that is of course something we need to consider in all positions if the team is going to progress. I just hope Firpo is a better version of Alioski then we are moving in the right direction.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Selby White wrote:
Leonickroberts wrote:
Good Luck to him.

When we are talking "not good enough" he was because he was a part of the team that just gave us two great seasons. He fit the Bielsa system it can't be denied and the fact we offered him a contract still suggests MB thought he could play a part, whether that would have been in a reduced role we will never know. Like all players he wasn't perfect but I for one enjoyed watching him play, always on the front foot and willing to support his winger, thought him and Jack linked well.
Two recent matches defensively marking Bale out of the game against Spurs was immense and attacking him running out of defence in the last minute to play that pass to Dallas against Man City when a conventional defender would probably have held position or played the Clock down are things to remember.

Now the "Not Good Enough" may be true when we are talking about taking us to the next level, that is of course something we need to consider in all positions if the team is going to progress. I just hope Firpo is a better version of Alioski then we are moving in the right direction.
:thumbup: This
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Roma are now ante post favourites to sign him. What I do think is strange is he never said goodbye usually a player does a write up of how he enjoyed his time at the club, how he’ll miss the fans etc but nowt, zilch.

https://romapress.net/roma-looking-to-b ... -transfer/
Winner of the Europa League
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Roma are now ante post favourites to sign him. What I do think is strange is he never said goodbye usually a player does a write up of how he enjoyed his time at the club, how he’ll miss the fans etc but nowt, zilch.
https://romapress.net/roma-looking-to-b ... -transfer/
Perhaps he's a bit of a luddite like some of us and not prone to jumping on s keyboard at the drop of a hat? :D
Keep The Faith / WAL