U23’s

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

U23’s

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Which of the current crop of U23’s will make an impact in the first team this coming season ? Geldhardt, Cresswell, Summerville, Greenwood, Jenkins & Huggings must all be knocking on the door.
Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: U23’s

Post by Davycc »

I think Geldhardt has to be in with a shout of a few appearances.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Which of the current crop of U23’s will make an impact in the first team this coming season ? Geldhardt, Cresswell, Summerville, Greenwood, Jenkins & Huggings must all be knocking on the door.
I don't think any tbh NW. A couple will end up on the bench as per but none will make an appearance unless it's a cup-tie against a lower club team. We are now in the PL so the academy and the rest become less relevant unless there is a standout player, imo. It's all good buying all these youngsters but none have broken through during MB's tenure. Look at Man City as an example, they we're bought in 2008, a huge amount of money went into the academy etc but how many have broken through into the 1st team? One, Phil Foden. One in thirteen years. Unless a player stands out as a massive talent I expect none to challenge the first team.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Gelhardt is the most likely to get on the pitch (from the bench in my opinion).

After that I think Leif Davies is in front of Huggins (not by much) at left back so may become cover for Junior, tobe honest predicted him to break through last year but injuries held him back.
Cresswell looks great but still young and Summerville is very promising but think he is a bit too erratic yet, another year in the U'23's at the higher level this time will tell us a lot.
Greenwood could break through especially in the No10 role at some stage, looks to not e afraid of working hard and bags of talent so fits the bill.
Jenkins at times looks a world beater but them has occasional lapses of concentration, improve that and we wont be in the market for a KP cover.
The other is Drameh like Leif Davies could be our full back cover this time on the right for Ayling.

As said earlier last seasons promotion will give us a true picture now they are playing to top U23 teams, was a big gap from U23s to Prem last term.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

DominanceUK wrote:. Look at Man City as an example, they we're bought in 2008, a huge amount of money went into the academy etc but how many have broken through into the 1st team? One, Phil Foden. One in thirteen years. Unless a player stands out as a massive talent I expect none to challenge the first team.
That’s a very valid point, however we do seem to invest an awful lot of money in the U23’s you’d like to think a couple might come good. All the promising talent we have available I’m still going to stick my neck out and believe Greenwood and Gelhardt will make the breakthrough.

#InOrtaWeTrust
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Having a rethink the academy has turned out some decent players over the last few years Byram, Cooke, Taylor, Delph, Howson and too a lesser extent Mowatt.
Aqua-
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Aqua- »

DominanceUK wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:Which of the current crop of U23’s will make an impact in the first team this coming season ? Geldhardt, Cresswell, Summerville, Greenwood, Jenkins & Huggings must all be knocking on the door.
I don't think any tbh NW. A couple will end up on the bench as per but none will make an appearance unless it's a cup-tie against a lower club team. We are now in the PL so the academy and the rest become less relevant unless there is a standout player, imo. It's all good buying all these youngsters but none have broken through during MB's tenure. Look at Man City as an example, they we're bought in 2008, a huge amount of money went into the academy etc but how many have broken through into the 1st team? One, Phil Foden. One in thirteen years. Unless a player stands out as a massive talent I expect none to challenge the first team.
I disagree. I think the club's system at the moment allow the youngsters to integrate in first team in close to ideal way. Not saying that all of them will, they have to offer the right quality at the right time, but they train constantly with first team, they play same style of football as 1st team, and many times we see them sitting on the bench and featuring 10 minutes here, 5 there. The staff use the U23 and senior squad with equal respect as i see it - when an important senior player recover from injury he will play with the U23 a few games to gain match fitness and play some competitive football with all seriousness.

Take poveda, shackelton, struijk, gotts, leif, clarke for example. all were bought/joined as youngsters and got to play with the first team. Some had more appearance than others and had more impact on the games they played, but nonetheless those lads were sitting on the bench with real intent to give them game time.

To answer the original question, I think summerville, greenwood, gelhardt & cody drameh have the most chances to break in based on competition - ayling is our only RB so cody will probably be taken into account, both gelhardt & greenwood can play a NO 9/10 so they will be taken into account as well.

BUT....

I think bielsa should and will wait before throwing them in. they should'nt get real consideration of game time before christmas , only in the last third of the season and after they prove themselves in good form in devision 1 (unless we lots of injuries). I think creswell, jenkins & huggins are less likely to get a chance, with huggins the most likely out of those 3
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

Always tough with the young players to decide the right time.
They can develop at different rates but from what I've read MB has them training with the first team a lot so will have a good idea who and when the step up can be made.
My best guess is Gelhardt or Drameh. I say that because they rarely give the ball away and believe that is seen as essential. The others named are still a little inconsistent but that's not saying some won't be on a big improvement curve.
Actually looking forward to seeing the U23's against the better teams this season.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

The Fonz wrote:Always tough with the young players to decide the right time.
They can develop at different rates but from what I've read MB has them training with the first team a lot so will have a good idea who and when the step up can be made.
My best guess is Gelhardt or Drameh. I say that because they rarely give the ball away and believe that is seen as essential. The others named are still a little inconsistent but that's not saying some won't be on a big improvement curve.
Actually looking forward to seeing the U23's against the better teams this season.
Despite everyone being receiving the same modern training and nutrition, have take into account varying degrees of physical development also.

We've all seen those kids who suddenly sprout muscles over a summer - physical attributes hugely critical to Bielsa's non stop running approach.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay