Terry Cooper RIP

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Paul ITFC
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Re: Terry Cooper RIP

Post by Paul ITFC »

I literally only just saw this tragic news on BBC Text.

Another one gone from that great LUFC team and era.

RIP TC
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Westminster »

Barlow Boy wrote:No words needed....

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/team-n ... rry-cooper
Great interview, that. Such a fantastic player but so modest and understated about his abilities and achievements.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

We lost another great. Sad loss for LUFC, Terry's family, and football world.
RIP Terry.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Played against him once. RIP.
I once played against Don Revie.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Lovely player, smashing fella and a typical (in most positive sense) Yorkshireman. I've mentioned it a few times but in 1970 Pele declared Terry the best left-back in the world following the WC finals in Mexico. RIP to another absolute great.
Westminster

Post by Westminster »

Another Northern Soul wrote:Lovely player, smashing fella and a typical (in most positive sense) Yorkshireman. I've mentioned it a few times but in 1970 Pele declared Terry the best left-back in the world following the WC finals in Mexico. RIP to another absolute great.
In which case, Pele was a good judge because TC must, at that time, have been up there with the very best in the world.

Somehow Terry Cooper seems to get overlooked when people talk about that great team of Don Revie's but he was top drawer. I can't think of a better left-back when Cooper was at his peak.

Great player and seemed like a really nice guy as well (which, in my experience, is a pretty rare combination).
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Westminster wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:Lovely player, smashing fella and a typical (in most positive sense) Yorkshireman. I've mentioned it a few times but in 1970 Pele declared Terry the best left-back in the world following the WC finals in Mexico. RIP to another absolute great.
In which case, Pele was a good judge because TC must, at that time, have been up there with the very best in the world.

Somehow Terry Cooper seems to get overlooked when people talk about that great team of Don Revie's but he was top drawer. I can't think of a better left-back when Cooper was at his peak.

Great player and seemed like a really nice guy as well (which, in my experience, is a pretty rare combination).
I think the Revie players has/had many very likeable lads amongst them but, like with loads of different areas of culture like music and film, the myth or reputation often obscures them. tBH I think even now that most footballers are good people at heart and just normal, really, probably in 'abnormal' settings, but the media features the 'bad boys' as they're better stories.
Westminster

Post by Westminster »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
Westminster wrote:

I think the Revie players has/had many very likeable lads amongst them but, like with loads of different areas of culture like music and film, the myth or reputation often obscures them. tBH I think even now that most footballers are good people at heart and just normal, really, probably in 'abnormal' settings, but the media features the 'bad boys' as they're better stories.
I suppose I was thinking more of some of today's 'stars' really. Kids driving round in Bentleys getting paid bundles of money for sitting on the bench at Fulham or Palace or wherever, behaving like louts and thinking they're something special.

Terry Cooper was, in contrast, a great player for the best team in the country, won league titles and European trophies, went toe-to-toe with Jairzinho in the World Cup, But just look at his interview. So modest and unassuming.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

From The Times

One of the greatest compliments that can be paid to Terry Cooper, who has sadly passed away aged 77, is that he could have shone in any era, in any type of game, whether physically, technically or tactically challenging, and he could also have managed in any era. Cooper was ahead of his time as a skilled attacking left back and also as a manager with inspirational people skills.
As well as the outpouring of grief and memories from followers of his old clubs, it is also testament to Cooper’s substance as a man as well as a player and manager that so many supporters from rival clubs have taken to social media to post messages of respect and offer condolences to his family.
With his white boots and fearless foraging from full back, especially with Leeds United and England, Cooper was quality in motion. English football has lost somebody very special, a man so humble about his many achievements.
What a player he would have been in the modern game. With good full backs going for £50 million, Cooper would have been worth even more. Marcelo Bielsa, the present Leeds head coach, would have absolutely loved Cooper’s work ethic, defensive strengths and relentless hunger to get forward.
When Bielsa’s side stride out against Everton on August 21, Elland Road will shake with emotion. Leeds have lost so many legends over the past 18 months including Jack Charlton, Norman Hunter, Peter Lorimer, Trevor Cherry and Mick Bates, amongst distinguished others. And now Cooper. Leeds’s caring owner, Andrea Radrizzani, and the club from manager and players, fans and staff, will do the memory of these great servants proud. And loud.
Originally a left winger, Cooper was converted to full back by Don Revie at Leeds United and went on to set the tone and the benchmark for raiding left backs to come, a rich tradition in England with Kenny Sansom, Stuart Pearce, Ashley Cole, and now Luke Shaw. Cooper’s control and delivery, his athleticism and ability to pick out a cross, meant he would have flourished today. He overlapped hungrily, dovetailing with that marvellous winger, Eddie Gray.
He was tough. In his trial for Leeds, Cooper was up against Paul Reaney who put in some tackles on the young winger who kept responding. He was quick to learn, benefiting from many good influences, including the wisdom of Johnny Giles, the leadership of Billy Bremner and also the protection of Bobby Collins. “You keep playing, son,” Collins shouted when an opponent tried to intimidate Cooper. “I’ll sort them out.”
Cooper takes on Northern Ireland at Windsor Park during the 1971 home internationals
COLORSPORT
With that platform, and Hunter and Jack Charlton closeby, Cooper excelled. His anticipation and technique were memorably seen in the 1968 League Cup final against Arsenal when Eddie Gray’s corner came to him and that left foot did the rest from 12 yards, bringing Leeds’s first major trophy. A regular in the Leeds golden age, Cooper contributed to their Inter-Cities Fairs Cup triumph over Ferencvaros, and then helping Leeds to their first title in 1969.
He stepped effortlessly into the England side, against France at Wembley in 1969 aged 24, and won 19 further caps, including starts against Romania, Brazil, Czechoslovakia and West Germany at the 1970 World Cup finals. Against Brazil in Guadalajara, Cooper was presented with the toughest of assignments attempting to quell the box of tricks that was Jairzinho, who was irresistible in reaching the line. Yet the Englishman never folded, never hid, impressing particularly in the final 20 minutes, and even venturing forward.
Cooper was so admired that Hummel paid him £500 a year to wear their white boots, although he admitted later that he preferred the Adidas World Cup boots and would simply prise the famous stripes off, and ask a member of Leeds’ ground-staff to paint them white.
Cooper continued to deliver for Leeds, particularly in a Fairs Cup victory over an outstanding Juventus side including Fabio Capello, Franco Causio and Roberto Bettega in 1971, but complications following a broken leg against Stoke City in 1972 meant he was never the same force.
After 351 games and 11 goals for Leeds, “TC” went to Middlesbrough in 1975, playing under Jack Charlton and making 123 appearances. He continued playing with two spells at Bristol City, as well as Bristol Rovers and Doncaster Rovers, finally retiring in 1984.
He had already begun coaching, and managing with both Bristol clubs, Exeter City and Birmingham City. He was much-loved for his supreme commitment to his work, for the positive approach of his team and for his humanity seen in handwritten responses to fans’ letters, and taking his players into the supporters’ club bar after games.
Bristol City fans still talk of how Cooper rescued them from near extinction, doing everything at the club, even the laundry, restoring their pride and leading them to Freight Rover Trophy glory in 1986 against Bolton Wanderers, 30,000 fans backing them raucously at Wembley. Cooper was so emotional that he dried up in his post-match interview.
Cooper makes his presence felt against Chelsea’s Keith Weller in 1970
COLORSPORT
He built teams and inspired players. Cooper’s clever negotiation brought Alan Walsh’s productive left foot from Darlington to Bristol City for a tribunal-fixed £18,000 in 1984, much to Darlington’s horror as they had demanded £85,000 and Cooper initially offered only £5,000. Having driven a hard bargain, Cooper and his No 2 Clive Middlemass then drove a van to help Walsh move his family and belongings to Bristol.
Exeter City supporters remember how he brought the fourth division title 1990, how they would sing “Terry Cooper’s red-and-white army”, and how his keen eye for a player spotted Danny Bailey playing for Wealdstone in the Isthmian League and Kevin Miller playing for Newquay in the Western League. Both went on to have good league careers. Exeter fans also how hard Cooper tried to fight against the financial problems.
Birmingham fans will never forget how Cooper provided hope and direction and promotion in 92. In all, Cooper managed 719 games and the strength of tributes from his old players spoke of his man-management prowess. As European scout for Southampton, Cooper was much loved not simply for his work but his down-to-earth character, never playing on his illustrious past, happy to stay at a bed and breakfast near The Dell when over from his home in Tenerife.
Terry Cooper’s rich footballing legacy lives on in the career of his son Mark, now manager of Barrow, in his grandson Charlie, playing in midfield for Woking, in the many professional careers he shaped and in the countless wonderful memories he has given to so many grateful people.
Winner of the Europa League