LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Howard Wilkinson

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Howard Wilkinson

Post by Selby White »

Howard Wilkinson the straight talking Yorkshireman we all know as Sgt Wilko the led us to our last title only two seasons after returning us back to the the top flight certainly deserves his place in the Hall of Fame.

What a a great period for us Leeds fans and forever we will be known as "The Last Champions" because since that year the introduction of the Premier League the game selling its sole to the money men.

So how did Howard become the last Englishman to lead a team to the English title.

Simple, attention to great detail, a team that had no fear, fullbacks that bombed forward, a journeyman Centre forward that scored goals, some shrewd signings, quality academy products, a world class keeper and one of the best midfield quartets since our previous title.

It wasn't just the titles it was down to Howard that our academy became one of the most modern in the country, infrastructure was almost as important as success on the field.

Personally I was fortunate to meet Howard but just once (a story I've told on the forum previously) when he was one of the celebrity (along with Rugby's Ellery Hanley) that opened a local Sports Centre. They got local sports to give a Demo and myself and another player were asked to give a Table Tennis exhibition, Howard fancied a go so ended up playing doubles with him and Ellery.

Enjoy -

Great times

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Howard Wilkinson

Post by NottinghamWhite »

The last time I saw Wilko was when he attended Jimmy Sirrell’s funeral. ( I’ve just checked it was 2008, tempus fugit ) We just happened to be near Meadow Lane as I’d had a meeting with a coach company earlier. The main gate at the ground was bedecked in scarves etc & there was a few from Leeds United.
Never felt Howard received the recognition at Leeds for his achievements but I suppose there’s only so many stands etc that can be used. Good to see he’s still around, long may it continue.
Winner of the Europa League