Remembering Revie-era legends RIP

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Clarke One Nil
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Remembering Revie-era legends RIP

Post by Clarke One Nil »

As so many of the Revie-era legends are no longer with us, I thought it would be nice to have a post where we can remember them.

Edit - the original version was only players from the 1970s. I've updated it to include players from the 60s, and others from the 70s, and Les Cocker.

Last edited by Clarke One Nil on 11 Aug 2021, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Remembering 1970s Revie-era legends RIP

Post by Barlow Boy »

Nice idea mate, I’m too young for the Revie era, but it’s good for my Leeds United knowledge to read about all the players and the great man himself.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

There’s one man missing from the list that stands out and that is Les Cocker who was an integral part of the Dons management. After a modest playing career with Accrington Stanley and Stockport County he came to Elland Road in 1960 as coach and also joined up with Walter Winterburn with England in 1962 the rest as they say is history. He was one of the first men to be awarded the FA Coaching Certificate. Les left Leeds to join Don permanently at England in 1974 after a career at the club that leaves him with the status of Legend.

Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

:clap: Great idea, and it's done really well mate.

Rod Johnson died not long back, and a good old friend of mine who Don sold to Carlisle to get a bit more money in for new signings - Peter McConnell.

It's a bit of a talk-stirrer is this as there are a few names missing if Hibbitt for instance is to be classed as a legend. Jim Storrie, all the back room boys, probably a very few more who were pivotal in Don's and the team's progress.

It's a lovely effort, no criticism I assure you :D
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Excellent idea.

Another missing is what many consider the Dons first key signing Bobby Collins played around 150 times for us.
Although I can see its 70s legends and Bobby was 60's but so was Albert Johanneson, perhaps just Revie Legends.

Not sure David Stewart really qualifies as a Revie Legend, signed in Dons last season and only featured 3 times under our great manager.
Most of his appearances where the following seasons, liked him as a keeper though.

As ANS say's no criticism appreciate its almost impossible to produce lists without forgetting someone.
Still I started watching Leeds with these players so any mention is good.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Me & nostalgia eh! I’ll do one a day starting with the Don. In the early 1970’s I worked as a waiter in the VIP section of a well known restaurant & Mr Revie was a regular ( once a fortnight) customer. He was always charming & friendly. Well as you can imagine I was totally in awe especially after the first time I looked after him & he called me by my name. His tip/gratuity was 4 tickets to the next home game in the west stand.

I was too young to remember much pre 1965 but from then on the old memories aren’t too shabby. He created a family atmosphere at the club where players such as Mick Bates who could have walked into any other club in Division One ( that’s old money to you youngsters :D) but preferred to be at Leeds. Dons planning against the opposition was legendary & the Revie dossiers were born. He well & truly put Leeds United on the map both at home & in Europe. He brought in players like Clarke, Jones & even mugged Scum to bring in Johnny Giles.

I’ll never forget the day in 1989 when he passed I broke down in tears such was the effect the man had on my life. The word Legend is used way too easily these days but I’m sure if you look in the Collins English Dictionary & look up Legend the answer will be Don Revie.
Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

:clap: Nice one NW
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Clarke One Nil
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Clarke One Nil »

I’m looking forward to reading more memories here, and I’ll add some of my own.

We can of course change it to Revie-era legends rather than just the 70s.

I can update the graphic to reflect that after we hear more suggestions of who else should be added.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Another Northern Soul wrote::clap: Great idea, and it's done really well mate.

Rod Johnson died not long back, and a good old friend of mine who Don sold to Carlisle to get a bit more money in for new signings - Peter McConnell.

It's a bit of a talk-stirrer is this as there are a few names missing if Hibbitt for instance is to be classed as a legend. Jim Storrie, all the back room boys, probably a very few more who were pivotal in Don's and the team's progress.

It's a lovely effort, no criticism I assure you :D

Rod Johnson, that's a name from way back. A Leeds boy, not many 1st team apps but loyal club servant.
As a boy I am fishing at Roundhay park lake.
Revie and Cocker bring the squad to race laps of the lake as part of pre season training.
Albert Johannson first, made it look like a stroll in the park(pun), not far behind but way in front of the rest was Rod. Thinking back, I would say he would have been back up for strikers Jim Storrie and Don Weston. At the end of the race, Don Weston came over to me and asked me to let him use my fishing rod for a while till the bus took the players back, as a 13/14 year old I was ecstatic, couldn't wait to tell my Dad.
Jack Charlton and Norman Hunter hid in the bushes behind me until the group came round again and joined back in to finish, cheating xxxxxx :roll:
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Clarke One Nil wrote:As so many of the 1970s Revie-era legends are no longer with us, I thought it would be nice to have a post where we can remember them.

You could select a championship winning team from that plaque.
Don't forget Don Revie himself as a player. Footballer of the year in 1954/55 with Man City, perfected the deep lying center forward plan, freeing up the inside forwards as primary goalscorers.