Remembering Revie-era legends RIP

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Clarke One Nil
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Re: Remembering 1970s Revie-era legends RIP

Post by Clarke One Nil »

I've updated the graphic in the original post to include players from the 60s, and others from the 70s, and Les Cocker.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Just for the record, I've included the original incomplete version here.

NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Remembering Revie-era legends RIP

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Gary Sprake was either brilliant or made horrendous mistakes throughout his career at Leeds. I was at Anfield when he threw the ball into his own net, this sparked The Kop into singing Careless Hands. In comparison I saw him pull off some world class saves.
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Peter Lorimer I got to know him well when he attended the Leeds On The Road events. 707 appearances with 238 goals ( I’m sure those figures are correct ) Voted 9th greatest ever Leeds player. Lash made his debut on 29-09-1962 aged just 15 years 289 days still a club record. He was known for his thunderbolt shot but he was also a hard working & skilful player. One penalty kick was recorded at 107 mph. My earliest memory was his free kick in 1966-67 against Chelsea in the FA Cup semifinal which was controversially ruled out by referee Ken Burns who ordered it to be retaken. Again in 1975 in the European Cup Final he had another controversial goal disallowed which would have put Leeds 1-0 up. Yes Peter Lash Lorimer is a true Leeds United Legend.

90 miles an hour….
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Paul Madeley aka The Rolls Royce. What an incredible footballer he really was. He was so versatile that he played in every position except goalkeeper. Another one club man making 536 appearances and just 24 England caps. Probably could have received more caps but after Alf Ramsey called him up in place of the injured Paul Reaney for the1970 World Cup in Mexico but Paul refused saying he wanted to rest but I believe he knew he would more that likely just be a squad member at the tournament.
In his autobiography, Right Back to the Beginning, Revie's successor Jimmy Armfield related a telling story about Madeley negotiating a new contract: "He once actually signed a new contract on what was virtually a blank piece of paper. I called him in to discuss terms and opened discussions by saying, 'OK, Paul, we'll give you so much'. He replied that he had no intention of leaving Leeds so he might as well sign the contract and let me fill in the details. I said, 'What do you want, then, two years or three years?' He answered, 'Either way, I'll leave it to you. I just want to play for Leeds,' and that was that.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Norman Hunter, I have a photo on the bookcase next to my chair with Terry Yorath, Paul Reaney, Eddie Gray, Mike O’Grady & Norman presenting me with my Don Revie Marquette. It’s a prized possession of mine & look at it every day but there isn’t a day I don’t find myself wiping my eyes when I see Norman. I can remember him scoring the 4th goal in 1969-70 vs Ipswich twas a bit of a collectors item. Sadly for Norman he was playing when the wonderful Bobby Moore was the England right-half restricting NH to just 28 caps but at least he received a World Cup winners medal.
No post on NH would be complete without a mention about the incident at the Baseball Ground in 1975 which saw Norman & Francis Lee going at hit hammer & tong it was like watching a professional boxing match. The away end was rammed & the Leeds fans were chanting his name very loudly & as the 2 of them received the red card & they were walking off it started again, much to the delight of the away fans. Lee wasn’t anyone’s favourite player but I think if it had been a professional bout he might have won on points.
On the occasions I met him he was always very approachable & had time for a chat. He’s rightly classed as a Leeds United Legend & to those of us of a certain age a proper hero.

R.I.P. Norman.
psquithy
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by psquithy »

What is a Don Revie Marquette?
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

psquithy wrote:What is a Don Revie Marquette?

NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Paul Reaney as a child he moved from London to Leeds as a child & left school at 15 to train as a car mechanic. However Don Revie signed him as a 15 year old. He went on to make 556 appearances for the Whites. Unbelievably he only won 3 caps for England but a leg break prior to the 1970 World Cup didn’t help. I remember one game where Paul had George Best in his pocket & we were winning 2-0 but Paul went off injured & Best scored twice to finish the game 2-2. Best always said Paul was the best defender he ever played against. As a player of mixed race he was capped by England 9 years earlier than Viv Anderson who is widely credited as the first black player to play for the national side. Definitely a player to achieve legendary status.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Paul Reaney as a child he moved from London to Leeds as a child & left school at 15 to train as a car mechanic. However Don Revie signed him as a 15 year old. He went on to make 556 appearances for the Whites. Unbelievably he only won 3 caps for England but a leg break prior to the 1970 World Cup didn’t help. I remember one game where Paul had George Best in his pocket & we were winning 2-0 but Paul went off injured & Best scored twice to finish the game 2-2. Best always said Paul was the best defender he ever played against. As a player of mixed race he was capped by England 9 years earlier than Viv Anderson who is widely credited as the first black player to play for the national side. Definitely a player to achieve legendary status.
And he's still alive (noticing for the first time the thread title with 'RIP' in it :D )