Remembering Revie-era legends RIP

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Remembering 1970s Revie-era legends RIP

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Big Jack, I’ve mentioned many times on here that he was my boyhood hero & I was totally devastated at his passing last July. Yes he qualifies as a club Legend & an England one as well as a World Cup winner. In today’s touchy-feely game he probably wouldn’t have lasted 2 minutes. Famous for his little black book, was there one ? He was pivotal in defence a true rock.

Let me take you back to when the club was in administration & Sue & I travelled to Leeds to purchase several tickets for the next home game. I phoned John Hemmingham asking if he fancied a bite of lunch in Billy’s Bar. JH was the head of the members club he’s also a staunch Sheffield Wednesday fan & the head of the England “ band “ we agreed upon a time & a pleasant lunch was taken. Suddenly a figure appeared in the doorway & it was Jack holding a shopping bag. He just stood there so I jumped up,& asked if he was alright, yes was the answer he explained that he was waiting for an Irish film crew who were doing a Christmas special on him. He was joined by said film crew & after a while he walked over to us & said once he’d eaten he’d join us for a pint & a chat. True to his word he joined us & for an hour & proved what a great raconteur he was telling us a succession of stories. Here was my boyhood hero & I was having a pint with him. Pinch me I must be dreaming. My wife still tells people that Jack reduced me to something akin of a star struck schoolboy.

I think it’s fair to say the day he passed I was heartbroken & I’ve not yet seen the documentary ( Finding Jack Charlton) on him as I really want to keep my memories of him, not what he became.
A larger than life character a true Legend & a true hero to me. God bless you Jack & may you R.I.P.
Winner of the Europa League
Paul ITFC
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Paul ITFC »

Most of my posts on this site have been following the sad and early departure of players from that era. There has been quite a high proportion of 'the' team from the early 1970's that have gone way too young. The Ipswich title winning team from 1961/62 still has four surviving members and they are from the best part of a decade earlier.
Clarke One Nil
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Clarke One Nil »

NottinghamWhite wrote: I think it’s fair to say the day he passed I was heartbroken & I’ve not yet seen the documentary ( Finding Jack Charlton) on him as I really want to keep my memories of him, not what he became.
A larger than life character a true Legend & a true hero to me. God bless you Jack & may you R.I.P.
I found the movie sad but also powerful and even inspirational, and I would say it strengthened my positive memories of Jack. It is very sensitively done, and it is as much about his family and society in general as it is about football.

There is a strong Irish dimension, including how he helped Paul McGrath through his drink problems, as it was originally planned as being about Jack’s impact on Ireland, but there are also a lot of wonderful Leeds and England memories. He was a great man, and his wife Pat is a great woman.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I know I have posted this before, but never miss a good opportunity! I was at our local Rugby Club's sportsman's dinner. Big Jack was guest speaker. During the evening, I got the opportunity of a chat with him. I started by saying 'you won't remember me but............' that's as far as I got. 'Yes I do' he said, you used to play centre-half for Yorkshire Amateur.' I also told him that I played for Leeds United Colts and he knew some names that I came up with. Jack was doing his National Service when I was playing for the Colts. Jack and a number of Leeds players, Gary Sprake, Johnny Giles, used to come and watch 'ammers' if Leeds didn't have a game. I had a couple of seasons with Leeds United Supporters Club in the Leeds Sunday Premier League (we won it one year) and Gary Sprake used to attend all our home games - with his dog! Big Jack was an excellent after dinner speaker.
I once played against Don Revie.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Albert Johanneson what a brilliant player the Black Flash was. He wasn’t the first black player at the club that was Gerry Francis who made 46 appearances between 1959-1962 as a right winger. Albert was recommended to Leeds by a South African school teacher joining the club in 1961. He stayed at the club for 9 years making 172 appearances and scoring 48 goals. Albert tragically died aged 55 in 1995. I believe that given the difficult times he endured he earned a Legendary status at Leeds.

Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

For the life of me I never understand why some stats/info websites post league games data only about players, Wikipedia is usually a main culprit for this.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

There's a special place in my heart for Albert, that's why I nominated him for our Legends Inductee list.
He was part of that promotion team from the 2nd div in 1963/64, along with a couple of other players he doesn't get the recognition in what was the foundation of our greatest era, others being, Willie bell - right back, Jim Storrie - striker, Alan Peacock - striker. New signing Peacock had injury problems all season, but came on strong during final run in with crucial goals to help get us over the line. Funny thing, his strike partner at Middlesboro, who we signed him from was Brian Clough, wonder how close we were to getting Clough as a player?
Albert was a lightening fast player, but easily knocked off the ball by ruthless defenders, he never complained or retaliated, this gave an impression of weakness. let me tell you there was no braver player than Albert in that team. Having lived in Apartheid era South Africa myself, I am familiar with the environment he grew up in, where the political/social system treated black people as 2nd class citizens. Not including culture shock, as in weather, food, living arrangements etc, he had to adapt to a new world, where the rules were different, you were being treated as an equal, where in his mind he would be questioning every step he took, as in 'Is it OK to do this, or ask this?'.
On the field he had to overcome problems also.Besides the idiots on the terraces, there were fellow professional footballers racially abusing him during games.This did affect him greatly to the extent that he sought council and guidance from his church Priest. Believe it or not, one of the worst offenders was Sir Bobby Moore. OBE. captain of England for many years.
My greatest memory of him is not from the big games he was in, we were at St Jame's Park one winter's day. Snow started falling during the game coating the field, he had been getting kicked around by Newcastle defenders.Albert picked the ball up deep in our half and ran the full length of the field before tucking it into the Newcastle goal, humbly turning away, no celebration except the congratulations of his team mates and the Leeds fans in the stadium.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Saxon wrote:There's a special place in my heart for Albert, that's why I nominated him for our Legends Inductee list.
He was part of that promotion team from the 2nd div in 1963/64, along with a couple of other players he doesn't get the recognition in what was the foundation of our greatest era, others being, Willie bell - right back, Jim Storrie - striker, Alan Peacock - striker. New signing Peacock had injury problems all season, but came on strong during final run in with crucial goals to help get us over the line. Funny thing, his strike partner at Middlesboro, who we signed him from was Brian Clough, wonder how close we were to getting Clough as a player?
Albert was a lightening fast player, but easily knocked off the ball by ruthless defenders, he never complained or retaliated, this gave an impression of weakness. let me tell you there was no braver player than Albert in that team. Having lived in Apartheid era South Africa myself, I am familiar with the environment he grew up in, where the political/social system treated black people as 2nd class citizens. Not including culture shock, as in weather, food, living arrangements etc, he had to adapt to a new world, where the rules were different, you were being treated as an equal, where in his mind he would be questioning every step he took, as in 'Is it OK to do this, or ask this?'.
On the field he had to overcome problems also.Besides the idiots on the terraces, there were fellow professional footballers racially abusing him during games.This did affect him greatly to the extent that he sought council and guidance from his church Priest. Believe it or not, one of the worst offenders was Sir Bobby Moore. OBE. captain of England for many years.
My greatest memory of him is not from the big games he was in, we were at St Jame's Park one winter's day. Snow started falling during the game coating the field, he had been getting kicked around by Newcastle defenders.Albert picked the ball up deep in our half and ran the full length of the field before tucking it into the Newcastle goal, humbly turning away, no celebration except the congratulations of his team mates and the Leeds fans in the stadium.
Great post Saxon :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I always remember Albert scoring both goals in a 2 - 0 win against Chelsea, at ER ,in the 1960's. Leeds played most of the game (no subs) with 10 men due to an injury (broken leg). Albert was worshipped by Leeds supporters at the time.
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

King Billy our wonderful captain of Dons team. Sadly one of our Legends I never got to meet. I’ll never forget his punch up with Keegan in the Charity Shield. This followed a day of skirmishes around central London with Liverpool fans. Billy was a fabulous footballer tenacious, always gave 110% & scored many important goals. I am honoured & privileged to have seen him play so many times.

His eyes they shone like diamonds…
Winner of the Europa League