Bamford for England

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Bamford for England

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I know now why I don’t watch England, god it’s awful. 1-0 against a team like Andorra is shocking.
Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Its not great
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Mind I suppose it's a second squad.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Watched it on my laptop (on silence) as I concentrated on the Test March on the big TV! :D
Keep The Faith / WAL
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Why were we continually passing backwards and forwards across the back four? We were playing Andorra for crying out loud. I lost count of the number of shots on goal that went miles over the bar. The free kick just on half-time, I said out loud 'this will go in the stand' and right on cue, it did

We should have completely different tactics for teams like Andorra. Instead we play as though we are playing a top team.
I once played against Don Revie.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

johnh wrote:Why were we continually passing backwards and forwards across the back four? We were playing Andorra for crying out loud. I lost count of the number of shots on goal that went miles over the bar. The free kick just on half-time, I said out loud 'this will go in the stand' and right on cue, it did

We should have completely different tactics for teams like Andorra. Instead we play as though we are playing a top team.
I'm not trying to defend England's tactics/performance - I contemplated switching over to the cricket - but what do you do against a team that parks the bus and lines up 5-4-1? And with a totally changed team from the previous game?

Both Bielsa and Southgate are modern managers who believe keeping possession of the ball is paramount. The difference is that Bielsa has spoilt us with the flair with which it's done.

Kudos to Andorra for taking the knee.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

mapperleywhite wrote:
johnh wrote:Why were we continually passing backwards and forwards across the back four? We were playing Andorra for crying out loud. I lost count of the number of shots on goal that went miles over the bar. The free kick just on half-time, I said out loud 'this will go in the stand' and right on cue, it did

I'm not trying to defend England's tactics/performance - I contemplated switching over to the cricket - but what do you do against a team that parks the bus and lines up 5-4-1? And with a totally changed team from the previous game?

Both Bielsa and Southgate are modern managers who believe keeping possession of the ball is paramount. The difference is that Bielsa has spoilt us with the flair with which it's done.

Kudos to Andorra for taking the knee.
I honestly think a Bielsa team would have created more against such a team.

I watched it mainly for Bamford. I'm delighted for him to be selected but, truthfully, I really wasn't expecting much from him today. Anyone who has been on here a while knows I have defended him throughout his Leeds career and that I don't over-criticise anyway.
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

It must be difficult playing in a team where no one will pass to you. Kane is obviously used to it, he has to go and get the ball himself.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

Bamford suffered from the common England malaise of every player taking too many touches on the ball and allowing any space they might have had to be shut down, leading to a lot of sideways and backwards passing. He was constantly looking to make runs and was just never picked out. When they do things quickly, with one and two touches, they make chances. I've never understood it. I do feel like reaching the semis and final of the last tournaments has made us look better than we actually are. We're hard working, determined and hard to beat but we are not very creative at all.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

NW, thanks for list of full internationals - interesting reading. I expect Meslier and Raph will join that list so we could field a starting 11 of full internationals :-)