WIN the amazing The Leeds United Collection book

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deebo
LUFCTALK Admin

WIN the amazing The Leeds United Collection book

Post by Deebo »

CHANCE TO WIN COPY OF NEW LEEDS UNITED BOOK!

The Leeds United Collection: a history of the club's kits
By: Robert Endeacott and Ben Hunt
RR Price: £25.00
Out now: 30th August 2021

Leeds United has a wide-reaching and diverse fanbase, dispersed around the globe. With our totally unique "Leeds salute" and particularly vocal fans, we also are notable for the great pride we take in the shirt of our heroes. Leeds may well have sat outside the footballing elite of Europe for close to 20 years, but you will still find Leeds United supporters proudly wearing the shirt wherever they go. "Leeds spotting" as fans affectionately call it, is a popular holiday sport, and you will hard pressed to not see a Leeds shirt when you are out and about in major cities around the globe. Yes, other clubs may have similar reach, but when you look at the relative paucity of Leeds' trophies, and the simple fact that we are not one of the traditional big clubs in the eyes of the mainstream media, then you begin to see why Leeds is different.

"We are Leeds!" chant the fans on the terraces... we know it, and we mean it!

Don Revie changed the shirt colours from blue and gold to mimic the white of Real Madrid, stating that at the time that he wanted Leeds to be "like Real Madrid, feared by everyone, challenging for everything". Leeds also played in the blue and white stripes of their neighbors Huddersfield Town when a failed takeover and move of the club saw Leeds United start afresh from the ashes of Leeds City.

Not many of our younger fans will know all the rich history of our kits, or even that we once had a red kit! What is so magnificent about this book is that not only does it record the visual history of the club through its kits, but also some of the context and mystic behind them, ensuring future generations of fans can appreciate and understand these symbols of all the periods of our club's history, all the "ups and downs". The kit has the impact of instantly taking you back to the players that featured in the shirt, the games played in them, and the triumphs and defeats. The kit itself is one of the most powerful stimuli that powers these moments of recall.

Robert Endeacott is a Leeds born and bred author who has now penned an impressive 11 books at my last count, including writing the official Club Centenary book, and numerous excellent "fan fiction" novels that bleed Leeds from their pages. This latest labor of love penned together with Ben Hunt, a postman by day, and one biggest Leeds United collectors out there by night, is a beautifully put together publication. Full coulour shots of all the main kits in our history with anecdotes and interviews alongside from the people at the club.

As a big Leeds United book collector myself, to say this book has been eagerly anticipated for years is an understatement. To say this is a "must have" is no hyperbole. If you are going to treat yourself to one Leeds United book this year, make it this one.

You can order the book from Pitch Publishing https://www.pitchpublishing.co.uk/shop/ ... collection

On Amazon here https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1785319795/ ... 1785319795

Deebo
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: NEW BOOK COMPETITION! The Leeds United Collection

Post by Deebo »

To celebrate the publication of this book on the forum, Pitch Publishing have kindly made a complimentary copy available. We'd like to thank Pitch Publishing for making this possible.

LUFCtalk have decided to run a photo competition on the forum. Anyone registered on the forum can enter. After the competition closes, all the entries will be voted on by you, our members. The winner will take home the book!

To enter, Share of photo of your favorite Leeds kit, could be you in it, or just the kit: it's up to you!
Post the photo in this thread by 26th September.

This gives everyone three weeks to enter and view all entries All entries will then be voted on by forum members, and a winner announced at the end of the month.

How do you share a photo on the forum?
1. Click on Quick reply
2. You will see a box at the bottom of the text box you may not have noticed before, click on Full Editor.
3. click the tab marked IMG and then post your URL of the photograph in-between the two text blocks, example: [img]COPYANDPASTEHERE[/img]

Your picture should then appear. You can link from existing websites or Twitter for example, or upload your picture to a hosting site. Davycc recommends the following: https://imgbb.com/upload is a very easy site to use. Once you use the link to upload your pic you then simply copy (BB code full link is the one to use ) the code.

If you get stuck, please just ask for help :)
Deebo
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Deebo »

I'm not entering the competition, but here is my entry as a little example...

This is one of my favorite kits for a number of reasons, I love the simplicity of it, and the large badge (why has our badge gotten smaller over the years?!) It also reminds me of the heady days of the last time we graced the top tier of English football and threatened to unset the hierarchy of the Premier League.

Its also one of my favorite pieces of LUFC memorabilia. I scored this for $50 on Gumtree five years ago, and still can't quite believe it! This is a signed and framed playing strip from when Leeds played in Melbourne for the first and only time (so far).

NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

If anyone can’t post a picture say so on the thread & I’ll send my email address & post it for you.
Winner of the Europa League
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

I am going to post a photo later, but I have a question that somebody may be able to answer.
Did Leeds United ever play wearing royal blue shirts with white sleeves and white collar.
When I was at school, Ingram Road, less than a mile from Elland Road, Leeds United gave our school a large amount of used shirts.
The school sold them to the pupils for a shilling each, that is 5 pence in today's currency, probably about the cost of 2 pints of beer in 1959/60.All the shillings went into school funds to buy other sports gear, school trips, art supplies etc. By the time I got to pick, the one described above was the best one left.As a 10 year old it was much too large, I remember wearing that shirt for years, the colours ran and the sleeves turned sky blue.
Our school football shirts were, maroon and white shirts, white shorts or whatever you had.I'll dig out a photo of the 1960/61 junior team sometime.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Saxon wrote:I am going to post a photo later, but I have a question that somebody may be able to answer.
Did Leeds United ever play wearing royal blue shirts with white sleeves and white collar.
When I was at school, Ingram Road, less than a mile from Elland Road, Leeds United gave our school a large amount of used shirts.
The school sold them to the pupils for a shilling each, that is 5 pence in today's currency, probably about the cost of 2 pints of beer in 1959/60.All the shillings went into school funds to buy other sports gear, school trips, art supplies etc. By the time I got to pick, the one described above was the best one left.As a 10 year old it was much too large, I remember wearing that shirt for years, the colours ran and the sleeves turned sky blue.
Our school football shirts were, maroon and white shirts, white shorts or whatever you had.I'll dig out a photo of the 1960/61 junior team sometime.
I saw my first Leeds game in 1952. Gold shirts with blue collars and sleeves. Shorts seemed to vary between black and white, with black the most common. I never saw a Leeds team play in blue shirts with white sleeves, maybe it was their second strip for when there was a colour clash? Away teams always changed and I never saw an away game.
I once played against Don Revie.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Saxon wrote:I am going to post a photo later, but I have a question that somebody may be able to answer.
Not that we know of, bud - it could easily have been a training kit but there again, any old photos from that era only show them training in old rugby shirts - there was little difference between RL shirts and football shirts in those days.

Saxon, I've trawled the www for photos of Leeds kits and have never seen that one - the closest is as John says, blue sleeves with yellow/gold body. There are some surprises in the book but the one you described isn't one of them, sorry. Perhaps, as you say the colours ran, it was a rejected prototype from someone like Umbro - it would be worth a small fortune nowadays :thumbup:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I have a lot of shirts, several signed but my favourite is the one below. It’s a match worn Gary Speed shirt & it’s not a replica as it has the Football League tags on the sleeves. A neighbour of ours, now moved was best friends with Chris Fairclough’s sister & she told her that she fancied Gary. She through her brother organised the shirt, signed by the full squad. There is a letter from Chris confirming it’s genuine, so that’s the provenance sorted. Apologies for the Forest bag my neighbours sense of humour. No idea what’s it’s worth I know what I paid I thought was a fair price.
The shirts from the Championship winning season 1991-92. Signatures I’ve deciphered are Gary Speed, John McClelland, Tony Dorigo, Carl Shutt, Gordon Strachan, Mel Sterland, Mike Whittlow, Gary McCallister, Rod Wallace & John Newsome.

Winner of the Europa League
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

NottinghamWhite wrote:I have a lot of shirts, several signed but my favourite is the one below. It’s a match worn Gary Speed shirt & it’s not a replica as it has the Football League tags on the sleeves. A neighbour of ours, now moved was best friends with Chris Fairclough’s sister & she told her that she fancied Gary. She through her brother organised the shirt, signed by the full squad. There is a letter from Chris confirming it’s genuine, so that’s the provenance sorted. Apologies for the Forest bag my neighbours sense of humour. No idea what’s it’s worth I know what I paid I thought was a fair price.
The shirts from the Championship winning season 1991-92. Signatures I’ve deciphered are Gary Speed, John McClelland, Tony Dorigo, Carl Shutt, Gordon Strachan, Mel Sterland, Mike Whittlow, Gary McCallister, Rod Wallace & John Newsome.

Beautiful.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

When I played for Leeds United Colts (1953/54) at the start of the season we were provided with a complete new set of shirts, shorts and socks. The shirts were royal blue with yellow collar and yellow sleeves - the exact opposite of the then first team jerseys! (except that the sleeves and collar were yellow and not yellow/gold) I remember being slightly confused but they did look smart. Shorts were navy blue but can't remember what the socks were.
I once played against Don Revie.