What next for LUFC?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

What next for LUFC?

Post by HalifaxWhite »

Been a few weeks since I was on here as I'm trying to stay away from all the negativity surrounding our underwhelming start to the season.

I have been thinking about out club, Team and management and what we need to move forward.

I think most now understand last season was a fluke, on the promotion high and very unique due to covid and no crowds etc.

Don't go off on one but here is the question I pose and my rationale behind it.

Has Bielsa taken us as far as he can?

I love the man and what he has done is nothing short of incredible. However there comes a point where without fully upgrading the playing squad we won't make any further progress. That is one thing Bielsa won't do, he is very loyal to his players which is great and gets the best out of them, they are playing above their ability since he took over but it appears they have reached their limit even with that.

Now I'm not saying Bielsa out as I think we are where we need to be right now, came up last year, had a great year and now we just need a few years of stability mid table. Then we look to push on. We can't push with these players and a tiny squad. These players will be gradually replaced over the next couple of years so that is fine. But MB always wants a small squad, if we want to go into Europe in a few years time we will need a bigger squad. By that point I think MB will be returning anyway.

Okay big post but there we go, thought?

Keep in mind, I love Bielsa and to me he is a club legend and deserves a statue. Just an objective view.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: What next for LUFC?

Post by Barlow Boy »

I get what you are saying, sort of, but Bielsa can stay here as long as he likes for me.

The dross that I have watched from the same spot I have had in the ground for donkeys years, compared to the entertaining, exciting and enthralling football I watch now are worlds apart. Yes, he likes a small squad which leaves us vulnerable at times, like now with injuries to several defensive players, but I find it fascinating how he solves these puzzles.

We do need to decide where he has his statue though :D
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I don’t think injuries or suspensions are helping Struijk, Llorente, Koch & Harrison are all very much missed. Players like Junior Firpo & Dan James naturally need time to get used to Bielsa’s ways. VAR is doing us NO favours & if we were awarded that clear penalty on James on Friday night it’s my belief we would have won easily, thus taking some pressure off the team. Other VAR decisions would have also helped. We have some quality youngsters coming through the latest to make his debut Summerville is a real game changer in my humble.
I honestly don’t think anyone thought we would get results against Liverpool & Scum. Burnley is a tough place to go to & if that red card had been shown we would perhaps have won. Everton are joint 2nd so a draw was a decent result.

Vs West Ham - Home
Vs Watford - Home
Vs Southampton - Away
Vs Wolves - Home
Vs Norwich City - Away

These are our next fixtures & points aren’t forthcoming from these games then I might just get a bit concerned.
Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Would hate to have a bigger squad, lose the team spirit and play boring football. We don't have the money for a squad of top players to flit in and out of positions anyway.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

One thing we need to do sooner rather than later is tie Kalvin Phillips down to a long contact & pay him a decent wage. Because as sure as eggs is eggs one of the top 4 will want him. I know KP is Leeds through & through but money talks these days.
Winner of the Europa League
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

I think what we are seeing is a football club been rebuilt from the ashes of years of destruction.

Each year we've seen the team improve of course it will level out at some stage and maybe even have a blip, maybe it's happening now but too early to assume that is the case.
We all think as fans we can cure the issues but in reality most of us wouldn't have a clue how to run a training session never mind build team spirit and man manage a lot of talented individuals.

It's not just the first team we are seeing continued development of all the various age groups with a number getting very close to a break through, the future looks good.

We will not compete with the richer clubs at football monopoly and in my view we could have no better man at the helm than Marcelo to continue taking us forward.
Not only developing players to full potential but finding the occasional bargain (Raph been the best example)

Running a football club is more than writing 11 names on a team sheet or judging on a knee jerk based on a short run of games.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Has as been said injuries and VAR haven’t helped at all this year with a fair rub of the green we would be at least 3 points better off. Many including some on here were writing off Rodrigo but I thought he was outstanding on Friday night. Yes I think perhaps we slightly over achieved last season but I honestly don’t think we will be far off last seasons finish. Bielsa is a world renowned coach who in my opinion we are very lucky to have and more importantly he understands what it is to be Leeds. My finger isn’t even hoovering over the panic button yet. Keep the faith, onwards and upwards and ON ON ON.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

It's 'difficult second album syndrome' in my opinion and I don' think there is much wrong to worry about that better luck with injuries and (wrong) suspensions can help with. Personally was expecting a hard season and now is the time for the whole club to unite rather than react impulsively. I just can't bring myself to think about who should succeed Bielsa yet.

I genuinely think there have been very good aspects in each game we've played, just not enough of them. Unfortunately, I can't see us winning at Fulham, we have too much going against us at the moment. We have to work with the players we have at our disposal, but two or three seem to be slightly under the weather at the moment. I've defended Roberts throughout but his display v NU was totally inadequate - that really disappointed me as I think others are improving, such as Rodrigo and Firpo. But anyway, I just think it's a bit too early to be writing us off, and I can't wait for the wins to return.
Emley White

Post by Emley White »

Football is a game of fine margins and what if's. What if Cooper's foul against Everton hadn't been given as a pen? Compare that against the challenge on Dan James that wasn't given against Newcastle. VAR supposedly came in to rectify these marginal decisions - what a joke! We lose out to a borderline one and don't get a stonewaller. That's an extra 4 points and sitting pretty in mid table. I don't believe MB has taken us as far as he can. Our first half play on Friday suggests to me that our form and rhythm is coming back somewhat. A little more composure is needed at crucial moments in front of goal for certain. We have to get that right because at the other end we're still leaking too many. Once Llorente and Koch are fully fit and Pascal Struijk has served his ridiculous suspension though, we can hopefully get back to the top of the form table a la the end of last season. I'm not worried (yet) but let's see how the next 5 go. A win next week would certainly give everyone a much needed boost.
HalifaxWhite

Post by HalifaxWhite »

Don't let the context of my post get lost here. I'm not saying Bielsa should go or that he is wrong but the question I suppose is posed to those who think we should be pushing for Europe already.