Positives thread

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Positives thread

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Reputation on the line here, not that anything like that matters on the friendliest forum :D so positives on here only please, if you disagree then it's probably already been said in the match thread/postmortems.

Dan James has slotted in well since his arrival and I'm expecting him to be a big success.

Junior Firpo - personally I do miss Alioski but this guy is showing improvements and will prove a better all-round player.

Adam Forshaw - IF he stays fit he will be a great complement to the squad and midfield.

Charlie Cresswell - looks very capable, brave and a leader. Could be a great back-up for central defence.

Summerville, McKinstry, Gelhardt - (if there isn't a spelling mistake in any of those names then I deserve a medal :P ) - all of them look to me to be older than their ages in terms of confidence, maturity etc.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Positives thread

Post by Selby White »

Well said ANS although I always try to be a glass half full person I'm actually delighted on how the future looks.

I've watched a lot of the U'23 players and seeing them develop gives me great hope. I know we can get carried away and many shouting for them to be given chances over the last couple of years but it really was too early. Those 17/18 year olds are now 19/20 year olds and can see numbers of them been slowly filtered into the first team over the next couple of seasons and overtaking some of our senior players and improving the team.
Even at U23 level they are now playing a much higher standard, remember they have had 2 promotions to get to the elite level.

You mention Cresswell, Summerville, McKinstry & Gelhardt but we could just as easily be talking about Greenwood, McGurk, Bate, Drameh among others.

Another lad on the bench last night Hjelde I've not yet seen play but have heard fantastic things about him.

Never been a fan of Clubs that buy every time they lose, I don't want to be a Man City, Scum or Chelsea. I do appreciate some spending is justified to fill gaps but would always favour my Club been a production club, got to love players that come through the ranks.

The last 3 seasons we've seen our club develop at all levels, I'm proud to be a Leeds fan.

The future looks very White to me :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Agree ANS. Thought James looked very dangerous last night. Great to see his pace get him to a couple of seemingly hopeless balls and get a decent cross in.

Didn't see a lot of Forshaw when he came on - was quite busy while trying to watch. E.g. my 8 year old daughter kept asking why Paul McGrath wasn't playing :D

As for Firpo, he's definitely a better footballer than Alioski, but I was a little disappointed with the overall speed of his game. Hoping he's just being ultra cautious, but so far he doesn't seem to have that burst of pace. Fingers definitely crossed for him.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

kk white wrote:Agree ANS. Thought James looked very dangerous last night. Great to see his pace get him to a couple of seemingly hopeless balls and get a decent cross in.

Didn't see a lot of Forshaw when he came on - was quite busy while trying to watch. E.g. my 8 year old daughter kept asking why Paul McGrath wasn't playing :D

As for Firpo, he's definitely a better footballer than Alioski, but I was a little disappointed with the overall speed of his game. Hoping he's just being ultra cautious, but so far he doesn't seem to have that burst of pace. Fingers definitely crossed for him.
He can take better penalties too by the looks of it :D
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

Cresswell looks the real deal, was really impressed with him on his debut. He has a massive future ahead of him. As you pointed out ANS, he's brave, leadership qualities. He looks fearless. If he we're to start on Sat I would be very confident in him dealing with West Ham, specifically at set-pieces.

The crowd, they we're immense as always. That library chant still makes me chuckle :lol:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

DominanceUK wrote:Cresswell looks the real deal, was really impressed with him on his debut. He has a massive future ahead of him. As you pointed out ANS, he's brave, leadership qualities. He looks fearless. If he we're to start on Sat I would be very confident in him dealing with West Ham, specifically at set-pieces.

The crowd, they we're immense as always. That library chant still makes me chuckle :lol:
Agree I can see Cresswell and Struijk forming our first choice partnership within the next couple of years.
Yes he's still learning and that should continue but we should have no fear playing him, proved that last night.
Not first choice yet but good enough to put pressure on Llorente & Koch for the right sided CB spot, especially with their injury record.

Assuming Llorente isn't fit this weekend I hope we give Charlie another game but alongside Coops with Kalvin returning to the engine room.

Not sure if anyone mentioned the tactical switch last night, started with Charlie on the Right & Kalvin on the left but they switched i believe because Kalvin was been targeted for a aerial battering.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

Positives - I'm lucky I chose Leeds as my Club, best decision I ever made

Last 3 seasons have been the best for sometime, totally confident it will keep getting better.
Radz & MB have set this Club up for a fantastic future.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

The Fonz wrote:
Last 3 seasons have been the best for sometime, totally confident it will keep getting better.
Radz & MB have set this Club up for a fantastic future.
:thumbup: This
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders