Doesn't look good does it?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 130

Re: Doesn't look good does it?

Post by Deleted User 130 »

So it's all going to be Hunt's fault when we don't win, he's to be our latest scapegoat, even though the much respected (so far) manager has been after him for ages anyway? :mrgreen:
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

Aces wrote:I have to agree with isrodger, good post mate. Personally I expected between £5 and £7 million to be spent on new players, like I said before, anyone taking over such a BIG club like Leeds, should be coming in with SOME money to spend, £5 to £7 million is the least I expected, it doesn't mean we would be guaranteed promotion, but it would mean we were back in the game, it looks to be much the same as before to me. Hope I'm wrong, I'm sounding like a whinger. Lol
Aces, with all due respect, only recently you revealed you didn't even know we'd paid any money for Murphy, and earlier you replied to SMorientes's highlighting of things that GFH have changed for the better within that club with "I didn't know all that". If you're so ill-informed with highly-recent day-to-day events at the club, I imagine you saying you expected new club owners to only come in if in possession of X million of disposable funds to be much more wishful thinking than wrapped around factual context, and as such I must say I can attach little relevance to the thought.

Among all the talk of how GFH shouldn't have taken the job on, I am still not convinced of two things - that we would be happier with Bates still in charge, and that there is any sign of someone else willing to step up to the plate.
Deleted User 1022

Post by Deleted User 1022 »

Bogdan wrote:
Aces wrote:I have to agree with isrodger, good post mate. Personally I expected between £5 and £7 million to be spent on new players, like I said before, anyone taking over such a BIG club like Leeds, should be coming in with SOME money to spend, £5 to £7 million is the least I expected, it doesn't mean we would be guaranteed promotion, but it would mean we were back in the game, it looks to be much the same as before to me. Hope I'm wrong, I'm sounding like a whinger. Lol
Aces, with all due respect, only recently you revealed you didn't even know we'd paid any money for Murphy, and earlier you replied to SMorientes's highlighting of things that GFH have changed for the better within that club with "I didn't know all that". If you're so ill-informed with highly-recent day-to-day events at the club, I imagine you saying you expected new club owners to only come in if in possession of X million of disposable funds to be much more wishful thinking than wrapped around factual context, and as such I must say I can attach little relevance to the thought.

Among all the talk of how GFH shouldn't have taken the job on, I am still not convinced of two things - that we would be happier with Bates still in charge, and that there is any sign of someone else willing to step up to the plate.
I personally think GFH are doing it the right way around in spite of what people are concluding this and that no money etc, there restructuring the whole club and their starting from the top down and filling in areas that the club was in the dark ages with they might be a banking institution per-se but there making the buisness aparatus now that should have been there, it's going to take about 2 years or so to see the benefits of GFH's tenure take shape.

There needs to be some allowance for the team to be rebuilt but that too cannot happen overnight as many fans are expecting, BmD is a good manager so lets not do out usual stupidity and go against him just because we lost a few PRE season friendlies I'm actually ok with a few losses asbyounlearn more about you're squad when they lose and who really does have the fire in their gut to fight for the team, and I would rather the losses now and not in 2 weeks time where it really does matter, lets actually give this a manager a chance to do what I believe he can do and stand by him instead of splitting the fan base like last year, were better than that lets be the UNITED we know we can be and get behind the team and the manager and even the board, LEED BY EXAMPLE :D
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

I'm happy with how GFH are going about things. Maybe they had intended to have a larger transfer kitty but it took more to steady the ship once the veil over Bates' club finances had been lifted, Why do people assume that when a club gets taken over the new owners will chuck endless money at it?

The club looks to have a better future - the owners believe in building the fan base, building business, long term team building (youth player support etc), but its still early days. Fans just are impatient. Sure BMD will need to sell to buy, there is no endless pot. He has already got new players, so there was a transfer pot, just means he needs to sell if he wants more - I don't think its unreasonable.

I've seen postings of BMD out on facebook because of the losses! It IS pre-season, we still have some key players injured, we do have new players who haven't had time to settle in.

It all looks good to me, I'd rather solid foundations be built with the aim of getting up in a few years than a quick fix of short term ageing players aimed at a gamble to getting us up.
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

Good post Nic, well said :thumbup:
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

Bogdan wrote:

I love Leeds, but I don't live and breath Leeds, i gave my explanation about Murphy, i have never heard of him TBH, he played for Crewe so why would i ? the threads about .... Not looking good is it? It is early days I will agree on that, but at the moment it isn't looking that good, that's my opinion, not wanting to argue about it, but on the poll 50% think we will be md table at best, so i'm not on my own. I hope we go on a 20 match winning streak when the season kicks off, I don't care if we win every match in a boring 1 nil win game after game. Like I said, we are potentially one of the top ten best clubs in the country, anyone taking us over, I .... That's me, not you ..... I expected them to have a few million pounds to invest. If they haven't we will have to do the best we can with what we ave got and one good thing, is we have a really good manager, so fingers crossed we are on the up.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Deleted User 2299

Post by Deleted User 2299 »

isrodger wrote:For all their good intentions, and they have made some good "easy win" off the pitch decisions, we can't get away from the fact that GFH haven't really got the funding to take the club forward. In terms of transfers like the signings of pugh, gray, varney, ashdown, Norris, Green ( a relative success), tonge & hall before him I can't help thinking the signing of hunt is a waste of resource. We have been desperate and I do mean desperate for pace, width and a commanding centre half for over a year now, but we sign another player who kind of plays off the point forward just like varney, McCormack, poleon, and arguably diuof. In critisism of BMc .....If our next acquisition is such a key signing why spend in excess the thick £1.5m on a player that adds little variety to our squad, ahead of getting your main man in? I am not having a go at the players mention above, it's just they are much of a muchness, squad players; not the type that are going to develop or feature in a top six side. GFHs funding of the acquisition of murphey was rightly lauded, but in fairness guys 3 or 4 signings of this nature is the least we should expect. GFH are a VC that came into this gig, with full knowledge of bates plunderings, sorry but making the best of a bad job really doesn't wash anymore.
I think BM like our past managers having been told little porkies about team funding. Like you say why didn't BM but his number one target 1st? If you hear his past interviews, he comes across full of confidence that his target list will be fulfilled and even had backup players in mind. Maybe it was GFH who thought it would be easy to off load our deadwood, so promised him more than they could guarantee.
There is a feeling that BM isn't happy with the way the signings are turning out, and i doubt he is disappointed because of "hopes", more because of "promises" being broken.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

onenorthernsoul wrote:So it's all going to be Hunt's fault when we don't win, he's to be our latest scapegoat, even though the much respected (so far) manager has been after him for ages anyway? :mrgreen:
I think you slightly miss my point ONS clearly BMc has a key target a wide man or centre half who can only be attained if wages are freed up. I am questioning adding hunt to the wage bill if other areas are more of a priority. If we had messi and ronaldo in our ranks I might question the acquisition of Neymar .... If we didn't have a decent centre half. The point about hunt and I haven't seen him play in a white shirt, is from what I have read is he could be relecanted in our squad by the likes of varney, McCormack, possibly poleon and diuof to lesser or greater effect. Whereas we don't even have one single winger in our pack.
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Not really ISR, the manager wanted Noel Hunt and he got him, only the most powerful bosses can pick and choose or prioritise their signings/timings, and even then it can't work out exactly as planned. It seems a bit dubious to me to blame a manager or even the player signed 'early' because it may or may not affect other signing prospects, which is what you eemed to be doing. Truthfully, none of us know how these things work out, or if they do then they're not telling us.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I am always a bit suspicious when a manager signs a player from his previous club. Particularly, as in the case of Hunt, he is not the type of player we are desperate for. No doubt BMcD feels comfortable with Hunt but that comfort comes at a cost and I would rather have seen the funds spent on a much needed central defender. If, on the other hand, we get our central defender before the season starts then I wont begrudge BMcD his 'comfort blanket'.
I once played against Don Revie.