Our so called fans

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Our so called fans

Post by Selby White »

CheeznOnionPasty wrote:
Leonickroberts wrote:The problem is bigger than Leeds, bigger than football, bigger than sport, it's a society-wide issue. Twitter and to a lesser extent other social media have created a new psychology of social interaction with 'celebrities' and other strangers, and football just happens to be the clearest example of abuse. Until big tech are regulated into human-led rather than algorithmic approaches to policing online abuse, and stronger identification controls, the problem isn't going anywhere. It messed with a Presidential election in the biggest economy in the world, for Pete's sake.

I'd also argue that we need to stop creating a false divide between fans and non-fans. Those abusing players are still fans, they're just also indefensible p****s. We have our fair share of them, and they should be identified, called out, and where necessary punished, but I think it's more useful to identify them as Leeds fans and convince them that they're undermining the chances of achieving everything they (and we) want, than to paint them as nothing to do with the club. It's the classic argument of 'calling out' (which makes people defensive and reinforces their behaviour) and 'calling in' (which encourages people to reflect on themselves and change the way they do things).

To be clear, this is in no way defending anybody guilty of abusing or threatening players, staff other fans, or anybody else, online or in the real world.
That's a very sensible post and I agree with you on all points.

History won't be kind to this period when we have seen the proliferation of social media and it's impact on psychology is much more far reaching than I think many realise. It's the impact on developmental psychology and our children and childrens children I am most concerned about. Some regulation is definitely required, our standards about what we accept online should be the same as what we'd accept in person, and they're currently not the same.
Yes I agree its a problem of society that faceless people hiding behind a screen are allowed to get away with abuse of others.

I'm old school and strongly believe in don't say what you wouldn't to the persons face.

With regards to abusing your own players really say's a lot about a person and none of it is good.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
The Squirrel
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by The Squirrel »

Social Media is a cancer on society.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

The Squirrel wrote:Social Media is a cancer on society.
I kind of agree, in part at least, but this forum is social media for instance, and social media can be a great force for good. Unfortunately, it's often individuals that just want to hurt and cause offence/outrage. If everyone just followed the very simple mantra of only saying things on SM that they would be prepared to say directly to the person's face, then it would be a much more civilised place.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

Selby White wrote:
CheeznOnionPasty wrote:
Leonickroberts wrote:The problem is bigger than Leeds, bigger than football, bigger than sport, it's a society-wide issue. Twitter and to a lesser extent other social media have created a new psychology of social interaction with 'celebrities' and other strangers, and football just happens to be the clearest example of abuse. Until big tech are regulated into human-led rather than algorithmic approaches to policing online abuse, and stronger identification controls, the problem isn't going anywhere. It messed with a Presidential election in the biggest economy in the world, for Pete's sake.

I'd also argue that we need to stop creating a false divide between fans and non-fans. Those abusing players are still fans, they're just also indefensible p****s. We have our fair share of them, and they should be identified, called out, and where necessary punished, but I think it's more useful to identify them as Leeds fans and convince them that they're undermining the chances of achieving everything they (and we) want, than to paint them as nothing to do with the club. It's the classic argument of 'calling out' (which makes people defensive and reinforces their behaviour) and 'calling in' (which encourages people to reflect on themselves and change the way they do things).

To be clear, this is in no way defending anybody guilty of abusing or threatening players, staff other fans, or anybody else, online or in the real world.

History won't be kind to this period when we have seen the proliferation of social media and it's impact on psychology is much more far reaching than I think many realise. It's the impact on developmental psychology and our children and childrens children I am most concerned about. Some regulation is definitely required, our standards about what we accept online should be the same as what we'd accept in person, and they're currently not the same.
Yes I agree its a problem of society that faceless people hiding behind a screen are allowed to get away with abuse of others.

I'm old school and strongly believe in don't say what you wouldn't to the persons face.

With regards to abusing your own players really say's a lot about a person and none of it is good.
The scourge of social media is the anonymity factor. People feel they can say things without consequence. I can't see regulation coming unless forced, the point of freedom of speech in oppressed countries is often cited, and a government would be wary of doing something that seen as curtailing freedoms.

Maybe at some point there will be a new platform where you are required to authenticate yourself, and it grows in popularity because people are sick of the abuse behind disposable anonymous accounts. If everything you post could be linked back to the real you, it might make people think especially after prosecutions from those who continued to post without engaging their brain.
The Squirrel
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by The Squirrel »

Nic wrote:
Selby White wrote:
CheeznOnionPasty wrote:

The scourge of social media is the anonymity factor. People feel they can say things without consequence. I can't see regulation coming unless forced, the point of freedom of speech in oppressed countries is often cited, and a government would be wary of doing something that seen as curtailing freedoms.

Maybe at some point there will be a new platform where you are required to authenticate yourself, and it grows in popularity because people are sick of the abuse behind disposable anonymous accounts. If everything you post could be linked back to the real you, it might make people think especially after prosecutions from those who continued to post without engaging their brain.
Its not just that though. I can cite hundreds of people who have had their lives ruined by social media mobs for saying something that is outside the Overton Window.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

I am a Luddite and have no social media connections at all :D. I am missing nothing of any consequence thanks :D
Keep The Faith / WAL
CheeznOnionPasty
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by CheeznOnionPasty »

On the subject of our so called fans, this throwing stuff at opposition players needs to stop. Being in the national press for it for two games consecutively is not a good look (and I know the media love a bit of Leeds drama, and any excuse to paint our fans as hooligans they will jump all over).

I just can't understand the mentality, imagine sitting at your desk or being out in the field doing your own job and having members of the public throwing coins and bottles of pop at you?! It's beyond ridiculous.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Leeds United have said that any children encroaching onto the pitch that the parents/guardians will receive a one year ban.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

ChilwellWhite wrote:Leeds United have said that any children encroaching onto the pitch that the parents/guardians will receive a one year ban.
That’s a bit much, blimey, it’s just a few kids wanting the shirt of their heroes.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.