Is it time for Bielsa to go? (Poll)

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Is it time for Bielsa to go?

Yes
8%
No
92%

Total votes: 65

blackbox2342
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Is it time for Bielsa to go? (Poll)

Post by blackbox2342 »

After the results of the past 7 days this is something which is getting asked over and over so thought it'd be interesting to gauge the mood on the forum.

For what it is worth I think our best chance of survival is with MB and if anyone else came in they wouldn't get a tune out of the squad we have. We are in a relegation fight but 17th would be a success for me.

If we can stay up we can rebuild in the summer. My feeling is that Bielsa will go at the end of the season come what may.

If you do think he should go then why and who should he be replaced by?

Bearing in mind the massive injuries problems (which may well indicate an internal issue given number of them) then who could do any better?

Form hasn't been good this season but we haven't had a fully fit squad. I think summer recruitment has let us down and we need to add depth in January for sure.

Be interesting to hear others thoughts.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Is it time for Bielsa to go? (Poll)

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I’d be more than happy to see MB stay till the end of the season after all he’s done for the club. The injuries this season have been nothing short of horrendous where would we be if the players were all available. Think we all looked at the 4 games Chelsea, City, Arsenal & Liverpool as free hits none of us expected anything from these games. It’s the teams around us where we need results. In Bielsa I trust.
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

It’s a no from me as well. We owe him so much that now is a time to back him imho.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Remember Don Revie once telling a story about a discussion he had with another top manager (it was either Shankly or Busby) and they both agreed that they were lucky having so many good players.
They also said they could take over a lesser club and maybe get the players fitter and better organised but they accepted no way they could win things with them. Basically the moral of the story was without the playing staff they would not be classed great managers.

Times have changed and today great managers are the ones that spend the most money in most leagues.
In reality if anyone believes MB should go I wonder who they think would have improved our results with our budget and injury crisis.
Yesterdays team only had 4 players that would be in our first choice 11 (Meslier, Aying, Dallas & Raphina) two of which were forced to play out of position because of player shortage.

For those that think its a case of buying our way to the top it ain't going to happen we can't match those clubs with their Billion pound squads whoever our manager is.
Another point is that unless I'm unaware of something its my understanding players you buy never come with a guarantee that they will always be fit.

Our first team has progressed a lot under the present regime and our academy has come on even more but it does require patience, we are starting to see the fruits blossom and it will become a conveyor belt of talent. Personally can see Gelhardt & Creswell been considered first team squad now even with everyone fit but the others continuing their development with the U23's and called into the main squad as needs must.
Of course none are the finished article yet the key word is development.

In fact whoever replaces MB when he calls it a day will be the one that truly benefits from what is been built here.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Not even dignifying this pointless, unnecessary poll with a vote.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I think I’ve made my feelings quite clear on this one :lol: :lol: :lol:

The games we’ve lost this season were against what I consider to be ‘top 6 sides’, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, West Ham and the other was against Southampton when we were without Ayling, Firpo, Phillips, Raphinha and Bamford. There are plenty of other clubs who will do that this season.

For me, we simply cannot cope without the loss of key players, our squad just lacks the strength in depth. Take Tuesday against City for example, they introduced Fernandinho and Gundogan of the bench, we brought on two youngsters in Drameh and Gelhardt. As good as those two kids may be in the future, they are miles off at the moment.

Yes, you can look at Bielsa for wanting a small squad, I will concede that, but otherwise there is no way I want to see him leave this club mid season. Although I do think it’s starting to look like the long goodbye now sadly.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Last season, Liverpool reigning champions, got beat 7-2 at Villa, and they suffered a worst ever in their history (I believe) sequence of home defeats.

It has often been said that Bielsa will leave when he feels he is no longer wanted here. I just hope that it is a minority wanting him gone at halfway in a problematic season as it's ludicrous IMO and it will be a long-lasting disgrace if somehow it is allowed to happen.
John Dane
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by John Dane »

If I had to choose, I would rather “take a trip down Championship Lane” WITH Bielsa, than stay in the PL WITHOUT Bielsa!
But I hope and believe, that we stay up with Bielsa :thumbup:
yorkfan
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by yorkfan »

All this talk of Bielsa leaving is just that ......... media chatter.

It's "flavour of the week" headlines, drawing comparisons with our position at the same time last season, and doesn't pause to take into account the "long as yer arm" injury list, nor the recent fixtures, one after another, against the top teams.

Yesterday, on Sky, we had Souness talking in terms of "playground level football", and today he reckons that he would be happy to pass his advice to Marcelo, should they ever meet.

I'm sure Señor Bielsa can hardly wait.

Let's be honest, few of us were expecting much from this present run of four games, so let's just cheer up, get our positive heads on, and continue to give the manager and the players our vocal support.

M.O.T.
guitarmark
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by guitarmark »

Like everyone else, we are so grateful to what he has brought to the club and in the 1st season back in the PL we were a breath of fresh air

Sooner or later he will have gone on his own anyway - Maybe when he thinks he has taken us as far as he can and that may well be know - I think the Villa game and Burnley are going to be key - We need at least 4 points from these 2 games

The other issue is the board/owners - They have so much invested in brand LUFC and the future - This investment is all based on PL fixtures/income with the hope of Europe in the not distance future - Long term, be it 2-5 years and chances are MB would not be part of their plans by the fact that MB always moves on - And I dare say the board/owners would not be to chuffed with a short term view of a manager who won't sign a longer contract - But that is MB and how he works - The owners/board investment will probably outlast any player currently on our books, ditto any manager - The only people who have a longer commitment to the club is us, the fans - We are here for life

Add to this is the transfer window is about to open - Will the board be open to buying any 'good players' with 25-35M price tickets and a 3-5 year deal when we might not even be in the PL next year - They would have preferred us with 5-10 more points on the board for a further 'solid commitment' - I'd be surprised if we sell any key players in Jan, but based on a potential return to the CL then I can't see the board wanting to tie up key funds, followed by a potential mass exodus in the summer, if we go down

I'd be amazed if the board don't have this in discussion already - Any other big business certainly would

I'm not voting on the poll - I want us to stay in the PL with MB - Many games this year have been mediocre at best some poor - Brighton, Soton for starters, let alone MCFC, MUFC, AFC and LFC - But I'm more 49-51 than I am 100%

As for who would replace him - Hard to say as I bet most of us did not know who MB was before he make our manager - So Orta may well have 2/3 good options that are not known to me - The timing is probably not right for him as his club is doing okay, but part of me likes T Frank from Brentford

In short my heart is 100% behind MB - My brain is telling me this is not a good situation and something has to change/improve in the next 2-3 games - Maybe a circuit break for covid, for all, will do us a big favour and get players back