Is it time for Bielsa to go? (Poll)

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Is it time for Bielsa to go?

Yes
8%
No
92%

Total votes: 65

Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Re: Is it time for Bielsa to go? (Poll)

Post by Polkadot »

guitarmark wrote: As for who would replace him - Hard to say as I bet most of us did not know who MB was before he make our manager - So Orta may well have 2/3 good options that are not known to me - The timing is probably not right for him as his club is doing okay, but part of me likes T Frank from Brentford
I’m not British so that probably makes my view on football less centralized around English football, but if it’s true that “most of us” didn’t know about Bielsa before he came to Leeds that’s quite sensational news to me. 12 years as manager for Argentina and Chile and European success with Bilbao, you have to have a bit of a narrow vision on football if you miss out on a manager with such pedigree. Well, I’m not happy about how I’m wording this, as my English vocabulary is not that good, and it feels like it comes out as a bit of a personal attack on your football knowledge Guitarmark, which is not what I’m trying to do. What I’m trying to say is that my impression is that a lot of British football fans have a bit of a strange view on football in other countries. I think there is a reason why all the top clubs in England have foreign managers, more up to date to the modern football than the common British manager (Moyer and Rodgers have done well lately, but it feels like they are miles behind Klopp, Pep and Tuchel, not only just because of money the foreigners have availible).

I think there is a reason why Wilkinson is the last English manager to win the league. There is a reason why England hasn’t won a tournament since 1966. There is a reason why it’s only 5 English managers in Premier League and Aston Villa in 10th are the best team managed by an Englishman. When Bielsa leaves, if Orta is still here I can’t see any English manager except perhaps Potter that would be considered as our new manager.
blackbox2342
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by blackbox2342 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:Not even dignifying this pointless, unnecessary poll with a vote.
I have heard more dissenting voices so was generally interested to hear views. As I said in my original post I think he should stay and it's clear from the responses / votes cast that overwhelmingly that view is shared.
Deleted User 4352

Post by Deleted User 4352 »

The answer to that is yes.

He was the right man to get Leeds back to the Premier League, but its obvious that he is not the right man to keep Leeds in the premier league. If Bielsa stays as Leeds manager Leeds will be in the championship next season.
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

Feologild wrote:The answer to that is yes.

He was the right man to get Leeds back to the Premier League, but its obvious that he is not the right man to keep Leeds in the premier league. If Bielsa stays as Leeds manager Leeds will be in the championship next season.
Why is it obvious? We are not in the bottom 3.
guitarmark
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by guitarmark »

Polkadot wrote:
guitarmark wrote: As for who would replace him - Hard to say as I bet most of us did not know who MB was before he make our manager - So Orta may well have 2/3 good options that are not known to me - The timing is probably not right for him as his club is doing okay, but part of me likes T Frank from Brentford
I’m not British so that probably makes my view on football less centralized around English football, but if it’s true that “most of us” didn’t know about Bielsa before he came to Leeds that’s quite sensational news to me. 12 years as manager for Argentina and Chile and European success with Bilbao, you have to have a bit of a narrow vision on football if you miss out on a manager with such pedigree. Well, I’m not happy about how I’m wording this, as my English vocabulary is not that good, and it feels like it comes out as a bit of a personal attack on your football knowledge Guitarmark, which is not what I’m trying to do. What I’m trying to say is that my impression is that a lot of British football fans have a bit of a strange view on football in other countries. I think there is a reason why all the top clubs in England have foreign managers, more up to date to the modern football than the common British manager (Moyer and Rodgers have done well lately, but it feels like they are miles behind Klopp, Pep and Tuchel, not only just because of money the foreigners have availible).

I think there is a reason why Wilkinson is the last English manager to win the league. There is a reason why England hasn’t won a tournament since 1966. There is a reason why it’s only 5 English managers in Premier League and Aston Villa in 10th are the best team managed by an Englishman. When Bielsa leaves, if Orta is still here I can’t see any English manager except perhaps Potter that would be considered as our new manager.
Your English is fine - No issues there and fully able to understand your message and welcome your input - I certainly don't feel like you are trying to have an attack on me - I admit I had heard of MB but did not know much about him - I think the point I was trying to make is that we all know the big names who travel from Club A to Club B and never stay anywhere - But always get the big jobs at Real Madrid, Juve, Barca etc etc etc - But who is the next Thomas Franks who has done an awesome job with Brentford - So what I'm saying is where is say the next MB or Thomas Franks who is currently doing well in Germany, Spain, Italy or where ever, that can come and do a good job for us - I almost fancy the prospect of such new talent that is fresh and helps us entertain - Or even a recently retired player who could do a good job - ie Pep whose first job was Barca - I think Gerard could be a good manager in the game (I don't mean now for us) - Maybe that is more of a gamble with no previous record - Just look at Lampard - Final point, I don't really no why but I don't like Potter
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

guitarmark wrote: I don't really no why but I don't like Potter
From what I've read, and given his track record with Brighton - doesn't seem to have bothered a 'small' club like them losing Ben White - his methods and mindset would be compatible to an extent with what Bielsa has created.

Going to have to be quick before Everton nab him though....
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

mapperleywhite wrote:
guitarmark wrote: I don't really no why but I don't like Potter
From what I've read, and given his track record with Brighton - doesn't seem to have bothered a 'small' club like them losing Ben White - his methods and mindset would be compatible to an extent with what Bielsa has created.

Going to have to be quick before Everton nab him though....
Let Everton have him MW :D
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Aqua-

Post by Aqua- »

The answer is no for me. Im still not there. Every time in the past when it seemed like we hit a wall and start sinking we came back stronger some time afterwards.
We do have a lot of injuries and if MB says it's not due to overload then the medical staff approved it to the highest degree of medical knowledge.

I do think that i spotted a desperation in his eyes in the last match, where he seemed like he doesn't know how to solve the real big problem that we're in - his fault or not, which is troublesome.
He's also not immune to criticism imho. He insists on sticking to the system even when we're clearly not competitive, and make routine subs. I know that it proved itself in the past, but i just think it's too clear that our midfield is failing time and time again and we need to prepare to a different formation and style of play in case we start look like we're panicing all over the pitch.
I'll be honest, i just want to stay in the league this season. That was my goal in july, and it did not changed. If i will see us getting to a position where we depend on others too much coming the end of the season and bielsa still seem like he doesn't know what to do i might change my vote to yes.
He is god, I'll be sad, he will still be a hero to me that deserve a stand named after h or a statue or something, but nobody is non-replaceable.
Just make sure that we have a good replacement cause sacking him will create a bigger problem, and if we cant solve it by bringing the tight guy we are doing worse.
(Can't believe i hear the name lampard near my club)
guitarmark

Post by guitarmark »

Aqua- wrote: (Can't believe i hear the name lampard near my club)
Think miss understood my comment and maybe I did not portray it correctly - Assuming it was my comment

I tried to imply that sometimes potential good/new managers can come straight from being a recently retired player - No previous track record - No time spent in the lower divisions - ie Pep - Even with little time elsewhere, in a non competitive league then I think Gerrard could do a good job as time goes on for some clubs - But there is always a risk that such a policy won't work and I used Lampard as an example of such failure

I 100% was not implying Frank should ever come near ER again - Hope that makes sense
Deebo
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Deebo »

To paraphrase someone from yesterday's twitter feed, Rocco: It's taken three and a half years, ten first team players being injured, and consecutive games against three of the most expensive squads ever assembled in English football for Bielsa to lose three games in a row.

While I am not at all surprised to see some people questioning Bielsa (I've been a Leeds supporter a LOOOONG time, I know these sections of our fan base all too well), be very careful what you wish for. The problem with "What's after Bielsa?" is quite simple: there won't be someone like him again for a very long time. Enjoy every last moment of this footballing God's time with us, because when its over, we will be missing his presence long into the future.

Is it time for him to go? NO.

Is it even sensible to be asking this question? NO.

Do I think some of our supporters have no real sense of perspective and/or rational thought? YES