[Poll] How long will Cellino keep McDermott as manager?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

How long will Cellino keep Brian McDermott as manager

Only until the ownership is confirmed, done and dusted (he wants his own man in)
10%
Until BMD loses 2 or 3 games in a row
29%
He'll give him the rest of the reason and put a new coach in place in the summer
40%
Into next season, and he'll go during when we've poor results
15%
Cellino's bought into the plan - Brian's here until the end of next season (at least)
6%

Total votes: 48

birkybullufc
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: [Poll] How long will Cellino keep McDermott as manager?

Post by birkybullufc »

Sheepy wrote:The club needs stability, we have not had any stability for literally 10 years, BMcD has worked under worse circumstances than possibly any of our other managers in that time and I would like to see him given a proper chance.

A chance in an environment with decent transfer funds and a boardroom that is not constantly under going ownership changes. The signs I have seen of BMcD and the way he handles the players and the club from grass roots upwards impresses me. As many have said, he has got team selections and tactics wrong, but given the circumstances, is that really that surprising?

Just give the bloke a fair chance I say, its the fair and proper thing to do IMO.
I think Warnock, Grayson and McAllister would have loved the kind of support BMd has has with regards keeping our best players and having the opportunity to bring players in. However, with less than a year in charge, he still hasn't had a fare crack of the whip. With all that has gone on recently you are going to need a longer period to rebuild. It is not going to be smooth sailing and there will be plenty of downs before we eventually climb up again.
Follow the cause not the leaders.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

If I was cellino, I would be asking myself 'is this man ruthless enough to do what needs to be done with the squad if I give him a substantial pot of money?'. I honestly think it's the squad that's in desperate need of change rather than the manager. If promotion is a genuinely realistic target next season, I would only be happy with byram, warnock, murphy (just about shown enough potential) and mcormack being first teamers. Maybe one of lees and pearce, not both. Wouldn't be unhappy with Stewart getting a contract, think smith and peltier would be useful as subs, the rest are just not up to it. It would be brutal but necessary in my opinion. Would mcdermott have the balls? I honestly doubt it.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

Costy wrote:If I was cellino, I would be asking myself 'is this man ruthless enough to do what needs to be done with the squad if I give him a substantial pot of money?'. I honestly think it's the squad that's in desperate need of change rather than the manager. If promotion is a genuinely realistic target next season, I would only be happy with byram, warnock, murphy (just about shown enough potential) and mcormack being first teamers. Maybe one of lees and pearce, not both. Wouldn't be unhappy with Stewart getting a contract, think smith and peltier would be useful as subs, the rest are just not up to it. It would be brutal but necessary in my opinion. Would mcdermott have the balls? I honestly doubt it.
I was talking to my mate at work today and we practically said the same thing, naming the same players we would keep. If Cellino spends any time watching our recent 10 or so matches on video, BM will be out on his ear and he can't have any complaints really, I know the team isn't good enough and he hasn't been given real funds to improve the team, but a lot of performances have lacked gusto, spirit and determination from several players each match and they have to go as well.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Stewart's already agreed a three year contract with the club, it's set in stone that he's joining in the summer.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Prediction - sacked after defeat to reading @ home.
1964white
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by 1964white »

SiMamu wrote:Stewart's already agreed a three year contract with the club, it's set in stone that he's joining in the summer.
Yet another McDermott error
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

The thing is, McDermott has had a torrid time, the false sacking, the whole takeover and before that, I really don't think he has had the financial backing he expected when he took over last season.

Everyone likes Brian, he really is a good guy and I do think that he has done a lot of good work behind the scenes for the club, he has sorted out the scouting system, made changes at Thorp Arch and created a good coaching team. The problems he has on the pitch I think are due to the players.

I don't mean that in a bad way, Byram has suffered from injuries, Austin has had a complete shut down of form and until a month or so ago, we had not had any width or creativity.
It might well be a different picture if Brian had been treated to the kind of form and health that Byram and Austin showed under Warnock. I really think that has made a difference.

I'm probably being picky, at the end of the day the performances have not been great and the results have not come, they are the two factors that determine the lifespan of a manager and as much as most of us love Brian, those two factors will still determine how long Brian stays in the job.

At times I don't fully understand his tactics or selections, but I do like the fact he has a plan for the club that he wants to build on. I really don't think chopping and changing managers does a club much good, its certainly not worked for us over the past 10 years so personally I would like to see Brian given a longer shot at it. I'd like to see him with a bit more cash to spend and the full backing of the board.

Will Mr Cellino share that thought? I'm not too sure!
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

I sort of agree sheepy, but the positives he claims to have done are claims, we as fans can not see if he has improved anything or has just changed things. Two things I can judge him on is our play and his signings. Hunt, Stewart and Kebe are not god enough, I will give him the benefit of the doubt re the others. In tems of play and signings, I would rather have Grayson or mccallister at the helm.
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

What he did at Reading can't have been a fluke though can it, and he had time there, just makes me think that with time he can build something here.

As regards to his signings, to be really, really fair, have Hunt, Kebe and Stewart had a fair crack of the whip? Hunt has only made about 10 appearances and has been injured and Kebe and Stewart have made probably half that.

Lets face it, we are all speculating this and that why things are not right on the pitch, there has been lots of external factors, but maybe its simply because the calibre of player we have, and have only been able to attract are simply not good enough.

If Mr Cellino takes us over and gives Brian some decent money to spend we might see a difference.
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

But did he do such a great job at reading, or was the structure put in place by copple, pardew, rogers? His promotion season - did he just get his team on a roll that one season? Although the fact they were in the layoffs the previous season is to his credit. His signings at reading - probably the only player I would want us to buy is le fondre. Ok he may have scouted a couple of good players, primarily shane long, but he was a scout probably recommending 30 players a season. His style of play, according to fans of reading he was rather long ball. Here it's just poor. I buy into his long term aspirations, but maybe he is doing the wilko bit without being able to sort out the first team.