Gianluca Festa to join coaching team under McDermott

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Gianluca Festa to join coaching team under McDermott

Post by isrodger »

onenorthernsoul wrote:I think it was Mellor who said Hunt's here because he's a good lad :P

Brian Clough did alright by taking his favourite players with him, didn't he?
Your right never really saw the value in McGovern in particular.... BUT CLOUGH WAS A GENIUS & lets face it BMC is no Brian Clough. I know he has got a fledgling career but with the exception of Le Fondre cant think of one really good signing he has made. Up until Rochdale I would have said Zalikus (Z). Although he may have signed mills when manager @ reading not sure. If he is given time in the summer, it will be time for him to deliver.
dangermouse
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by dangermouse »

onenorthernsoul wrote: Hunt deserves a bit more patience I think from the fans, he has been injured and we haven't seen him play fully fit yet, and anyway we haven't seen that much of him at all. I wasn't the only one who said he seems to be too much like McCormack in style but regardless, he's a full international in a average to decent national team. I'm not saying he's a star but a bit of balance is warranted, he isn't a pony either.
Hunt has a handful of caps for Ireland, the last been some time ago. That's like saying Michael Ricketts is a full international in an average to decent national team. :)
Seriously, I would like to see him make his mark here, but I have never thought he is anything more than average. When he and Kevin Doyle were linked in the summer, I just knew we would end up with Hunt. A bit like when we were linked with Charlie Austin and Billy Paynter.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

isrodger wrote:
onenorthernsoul wrote:I think it was Mellor who said Hunt's here because he's a good lad :P

Your right never really saw the value in McGovern in particular.... BUT CLOUGH WAS A GENIUS & lets face it BMC is no Brian Clough. I know he has got a fledgling career but with the exception of Le Fondre cant think of one really good signing he has made. Up until Rochdale I would have said Zalikus (Z). Although he may have signed mills when manager @ reading not sure. If he is given time in the summer, it will be time for him to deliver.
You do know who scouted and brought Kevin Doyle and Shane Long to England, right? He might not have been manager of Reading at time, but he found them and recommended them.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by corkleedsmot »

SiMamu wrote:
isrodger wrote:

You do know who scouted and brought Kevin Doyle and Shane Long to England, right? He might not have been manager of Reading at time, but he found them and recommended them.
yeah scouted them from my club cork city and got them on the cheap too..100k i think for the pair.thats why i have faith in him if he is given decent funds and a decent network he will put a promotion squad together.he could def tap ireland for players..theres always lads he went to england too early about who do have the talent and needed and extra year or too...seamus coleman being a more recent 1 and even roy keane was found at my cities second club..but cellino..will he control that side is the question..
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

dangermouse wrote:
onenorthernsoul wrote: Hunt deserves a bit more patience I think from the fans, he has been injured and we haven't seen him play fully fit yet, and anyway we haven't seen that much of him at all. I wasn't the only one who said he seems to be too much like McCormack in style but regardless, he's a full international in a average to decent national team. I'm not saying he's a star but a bit of balance is warranted, he isn't a pony either.
Hunt has a handful of caps for Ireland, the last been some time ago. That's like saying Michael Ricketts is a full international in an average to decent national team. :)
Seriously, I would like to see him make his mark here, but I have never thought he is anything more than average. When he and Kevin Doyle were linked in the summer, I just knew we would end up with Hunt. A bit like when we were linked with Charlie Austin and Billy Paynter.
To be fair to Hunt he is basically a workhorse and sometimes you need them to make a team tick.
Think its a bit unfair to criticise as he only started 7 league games before injury (many players take time to settle at a new club) and the record of 4 wins, one draw and two defeats in those games are a reasonable return.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 1022

Post by Deleted User 1022 »

corkleedsmot wrote:
SiMamu wrote:
isrodger wrote:

yeah scouted them from my club cork city and got them on the cheap too..100k i think for the pair.thats why i have faith in him if he is given decent funds and a decent network he will put a promotion squad together.he could def tap ireland for players..theres always lads he went to england too early about who do have the talent and needed and extra year or too...seamus coleman being a more recent 1 and even roy keane was found at my cities second club..but cellino..will he control that side is the question..
Really used to love going to the cross watching cork city play when Kevin Doyle, Shane Long and others in that team were there, Reading plucked that side apart and Cork havent recovered since.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

SiMamu wrote:
isrodger wrote:

Yes I know he keeps on telling us. But there's a world of difference scouting and being the manager and signing them. I suspect he scouted nd recommended 50 odd players in his capacity at reading. He didn't sign long, or sidwell, as I said probably his best signing in terms of resale value was le fonfre who he played as sub.
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by corkleedsmot »

CorkWhite wrote:
corkleedsmot wrote:
SiMamu wrote:
isrodger wrote:

Really used to love going to the cross watching cork city play when Kevin Doyle, Shane Long and others in that team were there, Reading plucked that side apart and Cork havent recovered since.
yeah i havent been to the cross in ages now.its always been good craic tho in fairness.unfortunately city arent immune to gangster chairmen either..although i do believe cork fans had coughlan in fear of his life for it (radio interview etc)which is lacking in leeds.imagine we got a ken bates level of treatment,in cork someone would have at least tried to kill the man hehe
Independent Republic
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Independent Republic »

corkleedsmot wrote:
CorkWhite wrote:
corkleedsmot wrote:
SiMamu wrote:
isrodger wrote:

yeah i havent been to the cross in ages now.its always been good craic tho in fairness.unfortunately city arent immune to gangster chairmen either..although i do believe cork fans had coughlan in fear of his life for it (radio interview etc)which is lacking in leeds.imagine we got a ken bates level of treatment,in cork someone would have at least tried to kill the man hehe

Now that you say it, it's uncanny how similar Master Bates and Master Coughlan were. Both tried to bleed their clubs dry.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

I was happy when we got Hunt, at this level is ability to me is without question, but it hasn't worked out for one reason or another and I fear it never will now, age being against him. It's a shame because a fit Noël Hunt could have seen us pushing nearer for a play off place, it is all speculation and opinion and we won't ever know now.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT