Relegation rivals

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Metro1962
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Re: Relegation rivals

Post by Metro1962 »

Sniffer wrote:Another red for Everton.
And yet they play in Blue. :lol: The sub has only just come on.....that was quick. :lol:
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by corkleedsmot »

Sniffer wrote:Another red for Everton.
Just a pity it wasn't a more important player
Metro1962
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Metro1962 »

Full Time and Everton lost. :thumbup:
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Westminster »

Metro1962 wrote:Full Time and Everton lost. :thumbup:
Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to be enough for us.
Gascoigne
Terry Venables's car dealer

Post by Gascoigne »

My personal opinion (may be controversial for some):

Season-to-season fortunes matter less than the long-term solidity/sustainability of the club: especially in financial terms.

Somebody has to be promoted. Somebody has to be relegated. At the extreme of end of the spectrum, some clubs in the non-league divisions close to the lowest Football League tier don't necessarily welcome promotions because it brings its own problems that can threaten survival. People's expectations get raised beyond what is reasonable and this turns into demands. Owners get greedy or pursue pet ambitions.

Personally, in view of everything that went on (which in my aging mind was not so long ago), I'm just glad the club still exists, never mind whether they're top tier. Top tier football is a bonus, and with comes some downsides.

Not saying it doesn't matter. I hope the team fights with everything they have in the last game. But will it matter in 10 years? 20 years? If there's still a club in 20 years that's in League One but is financially solid, entertaining, and does all the other things it should do, that is its own victory - in my eyes.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

A real shame Crystal Palace don’t have anything to play for at Everton on Thursday night, but if they did go there and get something Everton would be in real trouble having to go to Arsenal on the final day with Arsenal battling for the last Champions League spot.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Gascoigne wrote:My personal opinion (may be controversial for some):
That is what the forum is about personal opinion, be a bit boring if we all agreed on everything.
Opinions yours mine and everyone else's should never be an issue in a controversial sense. It's about respecting all opinions and debate differences, it's only occasionally when some try to preach to others that we get a problem
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:A real shame Crystal Palace don’t have anything to play for at Everton on Thursday night, but if they did go there and get something Everton would be in real trouble having to go to Arsenal on the final day with Arsenal battling for the last Champions League spot.
I like Viera as a manager don't think he'll make it easy for Everton. Really is a game that could go either way.

Know it doesn't mean a lot but Palace beat them 3-1 at Selhurst Park, a repeat would be nice.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
selbydave
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by selbydave »

it will come down to who can hold their nerves under pressure
everton and burnley both have winable/loseable games depending on how you see life but if they both lose and leeds manage to score early next weekend then the pressure suddenly ramps up
all 3 teams have had a mini 3-4 game winning run and we must be due some luck soon
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by corkleedsmot »

We have to hope Arsenal beat Newcastle tonight too so they have something to play for and their fans aren't going bananas last game after missing out on CL again (Spurs have Norwich so its all but confirmed Arsenal need to win both.