2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by PhoenixUnited »

The Fonz wrote:
corkleedsmot wrote: I would take £80 for Kalvin and £80 for Raph.
That is cheap, do we get a few green shield stamps as well :lol:
Green Shield stamps !!!??? :shock: Mate, you must be older than you look!! :lol: :P :D :D
Keep The Faith / WAL
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

corkleedsmot wrote: As much as I like Dallas, Ayling, Cooper, Klich etc they need to become at best squad players next season and be gone the season after. They should get a massive send off though. If we want to push for Europe it wont happen with them in the team. I think the sooner Cooper is not captain the better too. Prob get stick for that but no matter how much I like players I am still honest about their ability. He is a very solid championship centre half.
I think Cooper is criminally underrated because he sometimes looks a bit clumsy and because we as a fan base always are looking extra at the errors.

Statistics are not perfect in a complex sport as football, but I find the WhoScored ratings to be a decent indication of how good a player performs.

For the 21/22 season this is the 34 best ranked Center Backs in the Premier League accordning to WhoScored:
8. Matip - 7,35
19. Van Dijk – 7,18
32. Thiago Silva – 7,06
36. Chalobah – 7,03
46. Pinnock – 6,97
47. Tarkowski – 6,97
53. Dias – 6,96
62. Romero – 6,92
64. Mee – 6,91
65. Laporte – 6,91
74. Christensen – 6,89
75. Collins – 6,89
77. Kilman – 6,87
86. Davinson Sanchez – 6,86
90. Cooper – 6,85
91. Rudiger – 6,85
96. Saiss – 6,84
97. Salisu – 6,83
108. Bednarek – 6,81
116. Varane – 6,78
121. White – 6,78
127. Jansson – 6,76
128. Dier – 6,76
134. Gabriel – 6,74
135. Zouma – 6,74
139. Soyuncu – 6,74
141. Mings – 6,74
144. Dunk – 6,73
146. Ajer – 6,73
149. Hanley – 6,73
153. Keane – 6,72
155. Webster – 6,72
159. Dawson – 6,70
162. Schär – 6,70

Last season Cooper was ranked 39th of all players in Premier League, with only Kurt Zouma above him of CBs. Last year statistic was clearly affected by the defensive injury problems at City, Liverpool and Chelsea, but players from these clubs is anyway not a good comparison for any of our players.

Both this year and the previous year Raphinha has been the only Leeds player with better rating than Cooper.

Of course, the WhoScored statistic is not perfect in any way, but it does give a good indication. Two years in Premier Leauge and Cooper have performed very well. Incredibly well for "a very solid championship centre half". In my opinion Cooper has been even better in Premier League then he was in the Championship (especially before the promotion season).

I expect Cooper to be playing everything next season, the question is who shall play alongside him.
And I'm personally really happy for having a person like him as captain. He seems to be a genuinely great person and as a spectator it seems to me like he has good influence on the other players. IMO the defensive structures looks a lot better when he is on the pitch commanding, compared to when he is missing.

When it comes to Ayling and Klich I agree with your assesment. They are good enough to be important squad players in the Premier League, but they should not be starters if we want to be at 50 points or more. Dallas can be good enough IMO if he's being used in a midfield role like last season, but I doubt we will have a midfield role like that. I don't think the two holding midfielder roles we have used under Marsch fits him. As a full back he should probably not be first choice.
Cooper, Ayling, Dallas are all born in -91 (great year, same as me) which means they are only turning 31 this year. Defenders can go on until 33-34 without any problems and I expect Dallas to be a Milner type of guy, still playing close to his best level at 35-36. There is no reason to rush them out, especially not Cooper, but of course it's alway good to get in better players.
saihtam
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by saihtam »

gilesdriveby wrote:First of all we are in a way better position than if Weghorn had scored and Harrison had missed. Which doesn’t bear thinking about.

I think we need to be realistic and accept that if the right offers come in for the likes of Raphina, Phillips or Meslier they will likely want to move and the club will be forced to reluctantly accept. Last season has shown that we need to strengthen the squad.

So my preferences are
Replacement goalkeeper I would even consider Caprile coming back off loan.
Full back. Sell Firpo. Decide on whether Drameh is staying or sell him on.
Centre back I think we are okay. If someone comes in then we need to sell one of the existing 4/5 CB
Midfield Replace Raphina or Phillips and a future replacement for Klitch. Summerville stays or goes on loan.

Forward Greenwood needs to go on loan. Same with Gelhardt unless he is going to get game time.Roberts is sold or goes out on loan.

Finally we need leaders to replace the likes of Ayling Dallas etc.
Think replacement for Ayling is still bigger need. FB are huge part of the modern game and Ayling is not on that level we need PL. It is hard to say but we need to have him as squad player and get first team player there. KP and CB pairing cant cover both sides constantly. The quality that PL clubs have on the wing is huge. Need to put better option against there and this will cause our midfield game go better as there is less covering needed.
Metro1962
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Metro1962 »

The Fonz wrote:
Metro1962 wrote:
The last Waltz wrote:

As regards Kalvin, we need to hold on to him. If he wants out it’s 80m to city £100m to scum. Reference the Moyes stance - There’s always a danger coming out and naming a fee of say £100m. First thing I would do as his agent is demand £350,000 per week as that’s what £100m players are paid. :crazy:

I think Leeds should ask for £200m BUT they have to take James back as well,No James=No sale. :lol:
Really sickens me to see so called Leeds fans slagging our players. James works his socks off more than most it's not his fault he's ask to play away from his position.

Rember Norman Hunter saying if players give it 100% Leeds fans will get behind them.

Not true with some obviously.
Hey I was only joking that is why I put the :lol: at the end and I know he works his socks off more than most and I'm sure he will come good next season. :thumbup:
Metro1962
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Metro1962 »

Onto Transfer stuff.

Would Leeds fans take Rashford if he was cheapish and available?
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Sky reporting that Barcelona will put a formal bid in for Raphinha in the next couple of days. Farewell sweet Prince.
Winner of the Europa League
Polkadot

Post by Polkadot »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Sky reporting that Barcelona will put a formal bid in for Raphinha in the next couple of days. Farewell sweet Prince.
Well, they need to step up a lot from the initial rumours about 40m
saihtam

Post by saihtam »

Metro1962 wrote:Onto Transfer stuff.

No point discussing as we are not yet there as a club to offer wages in those scales.
Polkadot

Post by Polkadot »

saihtam wrote:
No point discussing as we are not yet there as a club to offer wages in those scales.
According to salarysport.com Rashford is on 180k/week.
By the same source our three best played players are Rodrigo on 100k/week, Bamford on 74k/week and Raphinha on 63k/week.
So our wage structure is not anywhere ready for a player like Rashford.

Apparently Kalvin is only on 38k/week, so if he goes to City he will likely get about 100k MORE per week than now...
If Raphinha goes to Barcelona, a weekly salary somewhere in region between 110k/week (Ferran Torres) and 160k/week (Depay) should be possible to get.

This is something we need to consider when we dream of keeping both these players. If we are to keep them we would need to sign them on contracts where they make a lot more money than they do now. Kalvin on a new contract should probably be 100-125k/week atleast, Raphinha maybe 150k/week.
saihtam

Post by saihtam »

Polkadot wrote:
saihtam wrote:
Apparently Kalvin is only on 38k/week.
It is criminal there was no push to PL contract for him last summer.