2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by corkleedsmot »

Another Northern Soul wrote:Right cheers for the info.

Until we make a regular Profit in the high millions, we are IMHO a small-time club. It isn't an insult or meant to offend anyone. Villa and West Ham less so, are on the up financially, and I worry that we are still not out of the woods financially speaking.
We are in the Villa and West Ham league already they just have better teams and richer owners, In terms of financial health we are probably healthier imo. No club these days posts a regular profit, The fact we did was met with raised eyebrows. Most post a loss, hence the FFP and most go to the near max of that.
corkleedsmot

Post by corkleedsmot »

The Fonz wrote:
arfa wrote:Turnover of £190 odd million doesn't mean the club has that amount to spend on transfers. I think I read that the bonus for staying in the Prem is £40 or £50 million. Will be plenty of other costs. Need to invest in the stadium to increase income.

Victor Orta has spent a lot of money on some players that have not performed to the level expected. He has also spent almost nothing on some good players - Gelhardt, Struijk, Klich?, Alioski, Hernandez, Meslier.
Agree with this Arfa but looking at a number isn't the only issue when it comes to upgrading the big hit is the better the players we suddenly have a bigger wage bill.

We also still have lots of players on the books under contract that as we improve need moving on. To do that you have to find someone who can offer them a good deal or they would stay here surplus to requirement but still adding to our running costs.

Agree on the stadium, the infrastructure of the club is key to long term success.
I don't think anyone suggested we have 190 mill to spend. Our wage bill is built around bonuses and targets. What we really need is to be ruthless this summer. The stadium will come but I doubt it will take place until we feel our PL place is secure.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

corkleedsmot wrote:
The Fonz wrote:
arfa wrote:Turnover of £190 odd million doesn't mean the club has that amount to spend on transfers. I think I read that the bonus for staying in the Prem is £40 or £50 million. Will be plenty of other costs. Need to invest in the stadium to increase income.

Victor Orta has spent a lot of money on some players that have not performed to the level expected. He has also spent almost nothing on some good players - Gelhardt, Struijk, Klich?, Alioski, Hernandez, Meslier.
Agree with this Arfa but looking at a number isn't the only issue when it comes to upgrading the big hit is the better the players we suddenly have a bigger wage bill.

We also still have lots of players on the books under contract that as we improve need moving on. To do that you have to find someone who can offer them a good deal or they would stay here surplus to requirement but still adding to our running costs.

Agree on the stadium, the infrastructure of the club is key to long term success.
I don't think anyone suggested we have 190 mill to spend. Our wage bill is built around bonuses and targets. What we really need is to be ruthless this summer. The stadium will come but I doubt it will take place until we feel our PL place is secure.
Why?

I agree on the stadium think even if go down we would still sell out plenty of games, maybe not all though.
Think in that case it should be considered building for the future in the expectation our stay down would be short.

If we stay up do it, longer we leave it longer it will take to compete at the top.

Not only that the stadium would get used more than it does now for other events generating more income.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
corkleedsmot

Post by corkleedsmot »

Selby White wrote:
corkleedsmot wrote:
The Fonz wrote:

Why?

I agree on the stadium think even if go down we would still sell out plenty of games, maybe not all though.
Think in that case it should be considered building for the future in the expectation our stay down would be short.

If we stay up do it, longer we leave it longer it will take to compete at the top.

Not only that the stadium would get used more than it does now for other events generating more income.
It would be a drain on us financially. Especially if we are a championship team. We would get murdered by FFP or the new version of it.
It is a very tricky time to be building things aswell. I would love a huge 55-60k Elland Road etc but most of it will be corporate and will be a drag on the atmosphere if anything.
I think until we have a stable team it is not optimal. BUT who knows.

Our squad needs sorting out first. We haven''t bought a midfielder in 4 years, the ground can wait :lol:
CheeznOnionPasty
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by CheeznOnionPasty »

The ground and the squad rebuild, whilst connected in that they're both related to the same club, are otherwise not overly related. They'll have entirely different funding mechanisms and partnerships, I would expect that the vast majority of the money for the stadium would come from external investors. Also if you're going to build a new stadium and add residential/retail/commercial space, you're going to try and do that in a way that is ultimately a revenue generator for the club, you wouldn't design it to be an ongoing cost, or what's the point?

Anyway, without going into a load of speculation about the detail, I just wanted to make the point that a squad rebuild and a stadium project don't have to be mutually exclusive - assuming we have the right partners and the right funding.

If we went and looked into how Peter Lowy secures financing for his big retail development projects it might give us some insight into whether or not the club can take on both at the same time. I expect he'll be one of the main drivers and architects (conceptually, not that he's going to do the actual architecting!) of the project given his background and so I'd look into who he typically partners with and how, in order to fund his developments and it may give us a clue as to how they'll approach our stadium.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

I'm 100% behind the increase of stadium capacity.

I think it's needed and an important part of the vision as I see it.
From a personal view I may be able to get a season ticket once again, was a season ticket holder for many years but had to give it up. Circumstances changed and can justify one again but am stuck on the waiting list.

The proposed plans I read about was to build above the West stand a 2nd tier one season with the current seating staying in use.
Once complete everyone moves to the top while the lower (existing) is revamped.
Don't know if it's feasible but sounds like a good plan as no loss in capacity at any stage.

Apparently it would add around 9,000 extra seats which to me is about right for the first stage of the stadium redevelopment.

Despite what Cork says most of wouldn't be corporate on the plans I saw, sure was some (similar to East Stand) but is that really a bad thing if it generates income?

Hope we go for it.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

Agreed. Go for it.
corkleedsmot

Post by corkleedsmot »

Selby White wrote:I'm 100% behind the increase of stadium capacity.

I think it's needed and an important part of the vision as I see it.
From a personal view I may be able to get a season ticket once again, was a season ticket holder for many years but had to give it up. Circumstances changed and can justify one again but am stuck on the waiting list.

The proposed plans I read about was to build above the West stand a 2nd tier one season with the current seating staying in use.
Once complete everyone moves to the top while the lower (existing) is revamped.
Don't know if it's feasible but sounds like a good plan as no loss in capacity at any stage.

Apparently it would add around 9,000 extra seats which to me is about right for the first stage of the stadium redevelopment.

Despite what Cork says most of wouldn't be corporate on the plans I saw, sure was some (similar to East Stand) but is that really a bad thing if it generates income?

Hope we go for it.
I am totally for us having a massive modern stadium like Spurs! I am not against corporate either but I suspect from what I have read a lot more would be corporate facing than people think. Corporate is not a bad thing but anyway we will wait and see. SF 49'ers are shrewd operators and Lowy is top notch.

I just think unless prem football is guaranteed/stable it could be difficult. Spurs have a large debt (which isn't necessarily bad) Arsenal were drained for quite a long time under the pressure of their stadium etc. If we were to drop to the championship I wonder what would happen in terms of economics. It is really hard to evaluate tbh without the plans.
The cost of building at the moment is skyrocketing so no doubt the stadium will generate extra cash and be positive but it may not add that many new season tickets.
I hope it gets done though at some stage, as much as I love gods own ground in West Yorkshire, it needs a reboot.

In other news I was hoping the Blades beat forrest last night as I really like Spence and Johnson and have seen us linked :D

Every transfer rumour or opinion should have a (if we stay up) next to it :lol:
corkleedsmot

Post by corkleedsmot »

Seems Phillips to City really picking up steam. If we can get 60-70 odd for him I am all for it. Am I the only one?
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

corkleedsmot wrote:Seems Phillips to City really picking up steam. If we can get 60-70 odd for him I am all for it. Am I the only one?
Same old guff with such reports, especially at this time of the season.

I try to ignore them, I absolutely hate this sort of trash, I've seen it too many times in the 50-ish years of supporting the team.

I have to say though that whatever fee, if there is one, is agreed for a player, we won't see a large % of it spent on replacement players and I think anyone expecting any other outcome might be over-optimistic.