2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by Selby White »

HalifaxWhite wrote:
Selby White wrote:
HalifaxWhite wrote:
corkleedsmot wrote:"Red Bull Salzburg have excused Mohamed Camara from their pre-season training camp, so midfielder can resolve his future. Leeds have been in direct contact with his representatives. 22-year-old is valued between £17m-£25m & wants PL move. Brighton also in mix"

Fingers crossed this gets done quickly
If this is true then that is a very good price IMO. Leaves us with money in the bank to get a second such as Adams. We needed depth before KP left so being able to buy two (who look good on paper) for his money is ideal.

Then to resolve the wing situation when Raphinha leaves.
Although I think you could be right and we bring in a winger I would personally see it an opportunity to move Summerville up to No3 so he gets more game time when those above him. Rate him give him a season of opportunity he may just make a position his own.
Happy to have Harrison and James (in his real position)
as first choice.

I fear if we sign and leave Summerville struggling for game time we will lose him.
I agree with you it would be good to give Sunmerville a run, I personally think we should be getting a winger still. Then Harrison and new guy are first choice, with Summerville fighting James for 3rd spot. James should not be one of our first 11 if we want to stay clear of the bottom. He scares defences with pace but offers little at the end of it. Can't pick the right pass, can't cross and can't finish. Just my opinion from what I've seen.

Also it could be a change of formation means we go chasing a striker instead to play 2 up top
Yes wouldn't surprise me if we go two upfront as we've seen JM use the 4-2-2-2 although will add not my fav formation but I'm not picking it.

I know a few on here like yourself are not convinced with James but I'm maybe in the minority that think he will change a few minds if he gets a run of games on the wing.
Playing him as a one up top did him no favours as playing there is so different. Playing with back to goal is so different to running at players. We will have to see on that one.

Back to formation though, knowing that is key to what players we need.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NIK MOT
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by NIK MOT »

Selby White wrote:
HalifaxWhite wrote:
Selby White wrote:
HalifaxWhite wrote:
corkleedsmot wrote:"Red Bull Salzburg have excused Mohamed Camara from their pre-season training camp, so midfielder can resolve his future. Leeds have been in direct contact with his representatives. 22-year-old is valued between £17m-£25m & wants PL move. Brighton also in mix"

If this is true then that is a very good price IMO. Leaves us with money in the bank to get a second such as Adams. We needed depth before KP left so being able to buy two (who look good on paper) for his money is ideal.

Although I think you could be right and we bring in a winger I would personally see it an opportunity to move Summerville up to No3 so he gets more game time when those above him. Rate him give him a season of opportunity he may just make a position his own.
as first choice.

I fear if we sign and leave Summerville struggling for game time we will lose him.
I agree with you it would be good to give Sunmerville a run, I personally think we should be getting a winger still. Then Harrison and new guy are first choice, with Summerville fighting James for 3rd spot. James should not be one of our first 11 if we want to stay clear of the bottom. He scares defences with pace but offers little at the end of it. Can't pick the right pass, can't cross and can't finish. Just my opinion from what I've seen.

Also it could be a change of formation means we go chasing a striker instead to play 2 up top
Yes wouldn't surprise me if we go two upfront as we've seen JM use the 4-2-2-2 although will add not my fav formation but I'm not picking it.

I know a few on here like yourself are not convinced with James but I'm maybe in the minority that think he will change a few minds if he gets a run of games on the wing.
Playing him as a one up top did him no favours as playing there is so different. Playing with back to goal is so different to running at players. We will have to see on that one.

Agree with you SW regarding James. We must admit that he was used, or I dare to say misused, last season. Due to Raphinha was covering right wing he didn't play his natural position and he was not able to show all he is worth. I do believe he can be different player on the right wing, he definitely has speed and technical abilities. I personally like the guy and believe he can deliver high level footie.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

NIK MOT wrote:
Selby White wrote:
HalifaxWhite wrote:
Selby White wrote:
HalifaxWhite wrote:

as first choice.

Agree with you SW regarding James. We must admit that he was used, or I dare to say misused, last season. Due to Raphinha was covering right wing he didn't play his natural position and he was not able to show all he is worth. I do believe he can be different player on the right wing, he definitely has speed and technical abilities. I personally like the guy and believe he can deliver high level footie.
Not to go down the full rabbit hole on this and just a final comment on DJ. I understand your point he was out of position BUT there were times when he got the ball, ran with it and had 2 guys in good positions open waiting for the ball amd he would try play it to the 3rd guy who is marked and also not even in a good position. That has nothing to do with being out of position, then times where he just spooned shots miles wide, nothing to do with position. He isn't a striker I agree but all that meant was he wasn't in the right place to receive the ball as a striker would be. It doesn't affect his actual ability on the ball.

I do however hope to be proven wrong should he get a good run of games as a RW.

Out wide if we replace Raphinha we look well covered if we include Summerville, up front, if Bamfodd stays fit we have him and Joffy (raw but more gametime will do him good). Midfield if we get Camara and one other I think we're fine.

Question then is defence, we have the numbers (except just 1 Lb) but do we have the quality?
superfox
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by superfox »

Meanwhile Southampton are in talks with City about the permanent signing of Romeo Lavia.
guitarmark

Post by guitarmark »

I think the 4-2-2-2 will be more common next season for us - As such I feel the genuine wide winger will not be required as much as a midfield player who can drift wide/narrow as required - Think Harrison will be okay in this role, but less so James - Would suit Dallas as well

Plus point of the 2 upfront is more options that can work with PB - be if Gelhardt or Rodrigo and feel Rodrigo in such a role will be more effective in that he can drift deep at times as required

Ref Raph to Chelsea - Would be an interesting option to concoct a deal whereby we get Broja as part of the deal as well
Metro1962

Post by Metro1962 »

I am trying to find some logic on why we sold two of our best players in KP to Man City and selling Raph to possibly Chelsea :crazy: considering Raph wanted to go to Barca then was his 2nd choice Chelsea then? Raph's agent has an affiliation with Chelsea and maybe that is why?
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Metro1962 wrote:I am trying to find some logic on why we sold two of our best players in KP to Man City and selling Raph to possibly Chelsea :crazy: considering Raph wanted to go to Barca then was his 2nd choice Chelsea then? Raph's agent has an affiliation with Chelsea and maybe that is why?
I don't think we should overthink it Metro. Barca are still Barca, whatever their finances say, so the draw there is obvious. And when it became clear that Barca couldn't afford him, I suspect any club that could offer champions league, big money and regular football was going to have a chance. The fact lots of Deco's former clubs isn't super relevant I don't think.

For me the quicker this and Kalvin are done and replacements brought in the better. The problem is that in my eternal optimism I'm now going to be disappointed with anything less than Camar, Gakpo and de Ketelaere, despite the odds of getting more than one of these being pretty low...
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

It does seem to be taking time to sort the personal terms out for KP. Perhaps he wants the city salary but still turn out for Leeds?
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

Davycc wrote:It does seem to be taking time to sort the personal terms out for KP. Perhaps he wants the city salary but still turn out for Leeds?
I think he's still on holiday and only back towards the weekend..
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

So far we have brought in 3 players, 2 will definitely leave in KP and Rapha. We still need at the bare minimum, 4 players to come in who can target a first team position.