2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by corkleedsmot »

HalifaxWhite wrote:
CheeznOnionPasty wrote:I wouldn't be concerned about how much money we are getting up front and how much comes in installments from either the Kalvin or Raphinha deal.

Two reasons - firstly, we'll be doing the same with every deal we sign, it's normal on transfers to spread the cost over the life of the contract and secondly, our ability to spend won't be impacted by whether we receive the money up front or in the future, we have a contract saying we will get the money, so our banks/board members know the money is coming back in, so will lend us any cash we need now on that basis - it might cost us a few points of interest on the pound but in the grand scheme of things it's negligible.

So even if we get just £10m up front from Raphinha it won't stop us spending all £60m+ of the cash if we need to, we'll just stage the payments and borrow to cover any gaps due to timing of incoming revenue.
The common spread of cost over contract length is amortisation and used to determine player values and worth as well as being used the calculate the FFP figures. Its not that the fee is actually spread across the full term. That rarely actually happens in practice for a full fee to be spread over 5 years. Maybe 2 years or 3 in rarer cases but not full contract length.

And I disagree that it doesn't matter. Much better to have the money, because then we can pay cash up front on our deals which usually nets a better deal with the selling club. That's my view anyway.
It is likely we would actually sell the debt immediately anyway and offload risk? I don't think now is the best market to sell Barca debt especially. They aren't exactly AAA at the moment.
blackbox2342

Post by blackbox2342 »

So papers today reporting Barcelona's increased offer is up to £60million. So I suspect the Chelsea offer remains more realistic. Barcelona are using same approach with Bayern and Lewandoski. Won't pay what clubs want. Clubs can't let Barca bully them anymore.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

So Cresswell to Millwall can’t say I’m happy loaning a player to them.
Winner of the Europa League
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

NottinghamWhite wrote:So Cresswell to Millwall can’t say I’m happy loaning a player to them.
Tend to agree but putting rivalry aside, if they stick to their identity of being a big defensive side it could do him a lot of good in his development, plus its a loan so we're basically saying. Here make this player better by experience and well take him back thanks. I'd be more annoyed at us selling decent young players to them. Loans don't bother me as they're still ours.
superfox
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by superfox »

HalifaxWhite wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:So Cresswell to Millwall can’t say I’m happy loaning a player to them.
Tend to agree but putting rivalry aside, if they stick to their identity of being a big defensive side it could do him a lot of good in his development, plus its a loan so we're basically saying. Here make this player better by experience and well take him back thanks. I'd be more annoyed at us selling decent young players to them. Loans don't bother me as they're still ours.
Exactly my thoughts. Gary Rowett is a good defensive coach, this could be a good schooling for Cresswell.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Wonder if we have added a call back clause in case we have a CB injury issue like last season.
Also suggests to me we won't be playing 3 at the back or think we would need 5.

Makes sense and game time at Championship level will be better for him than been on the bench here. Playing for the U23's id not what he needs especially with them dropping down a tier.

Our hatred of Millwall is more with the fans than the club which actually has a good coaching set up, we should get a better player back, hope so.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

I'm remembering some of the dreadful Close Seasons / Summer Transfer Windows past and thinking that this time it feels like we are in something of a transitional period but also there is an opportunity to build on the foundations already laid albeit that that has to include for two star players heading for the exit. I feel an air or positivity after the close shave we had last season. On the basis of that I am feeling that my glass is half full and it could be that before the Transfer Window closes there might be a top up coming :D
Keep The Faith / WAL
Leonickroberts

Post by Leonickroberts »

PhoenixUnited wrote:I'm remembering some of the dreadful Close Seasons / Summer Transfer Windows past and thinking that this time it feels like we are in something of a transitional period but also there is an opportunity to build on the foundations already laid albeit that that has to include for two star players heading for the exit. I feel an air or positivity after the close shave we had last season. On the basis of that I am feeling that my glass is half full and it could be that before the Transfer Window closes there might be a top up coming :D
I'm with you Phoenix. Once I'd accepted that both Kalvin and Raph were off, it became about who we'd bring in. My only worries are that Barca's pursuit of Raph will drag on and prevent us getting players in, and that I'm hoping for de Ketelaere, Gakpo and Camara but we'll end up with Adams and a sub par winger.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

I’m assuming Helder Costa is back at the club after his loan to Valencia. If he ends up getting sold I’d imagine we would only get a fraction of the £15m we paid for him. Not one of Ortas best deals.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

ChilwellWhite wrote:I’m assuming Helder Costa is back at the club after his loan to Valencia. If he ends up getting sold I’d imagine we would only get a fraction of the £15m we paid for him. Not one of Ortas best deals.
Yeh the obligation to buy after the loan was crazy, option yes but obligation should not gave been in place. We all knew after the loan he wasn't quite to the standard required for the prem though he did play his part in promotion.