2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by Barlow Boy »

As most of the transfer and squad discussions in the 2021-2022 thread are now focused on the summer, and our squad for next season, we have decided to start a new thread for the 2022-2023 season.

Please use this thread for discussions going forward.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by Barlow Boy »

Personally, I don’t see a great deal of activity, with a lot depending on the potential departures of Kalvin and Raphinha. Obviously, that will give us significant funds to spend, although I don’t see Kalvin leaving, but I do think Raphinha will go sadly.

Other than that, I don’t see changes with any of the keepers, full backs (assuming Drameh comes back), or centre backs (rumours of Koch departing seemed to have gone away). So, I think defensively we will remain unchanged unless anyone leaves. On a little side note, I’m hoping Cresswell gets more game time, he is a special talent for me.

Assuming Kalvin stays, we are sorted for DM’s with Forshaw now fit and firing. Obviously, if Kalvin goes, a replacement is required.

Again, centre midfield I don’t see much changing. I can’t see the likes of Dallas, Klich or Rodrigo going anywhere. We might add someone here just to reinforce the squad, particularly if Rodrigo is used as a striker.

Wingers, Raphinha will depart for me (obviously, hope he doesn’t) so replacement needed. Even then, we still have the likes of James, Harrison and Summerville. I’d expect someone to come in if Raphinha goes though.

Up front, Bamford surely cannot experience another season like 21/22, and the emergence of Gelhardt is obviously a massive plus. We may just do something here, although Rodrigo can slot in if necessary.

I’d hazard a guess a 2/3 incoming if one of Kalvin and Raphinha go.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Interesting window and my main hope is that we can keep hold of both Raph & Kalvin (along with a few others).
Think we need to answer those questions before deciding our needs.

I don't expect us yet to be competing with Man City or Liverpool for the title but our aims should be achieving a top half (possibly European spot), basically competing with the likes of West Ham. Think there is room for another club at the top as expect Chelsea to fall from grace with the restrictions and lack of Rubles been poured in (they will lose players like rats from a sinking ship).

Under 23's coming through is another thing to consider, I like the way the club looks like its evolving. I'm not one that thinks a couple of games in the U23's makes someone a top Prem player. There is a massive difference but it does look like we've a few bridging the gap.
I'd say Gelhardt, Greenwood, Summerville & Cresswell have shown enough and should be considered 1st team squad rather than U'23's, basically they should get reasonable game time in the first team (rotation or injuries).
Remember they are all at an age where they are still improving so in theory be even better next season than they are now.
Others that have shown their worth such as Bate & Heljde should still be with the U'23s but fringe players to be called upon for the first team as needed. Both top talents and its only a matter of time before they step up permanent but currently Heljde can make the odd error and Bate physically struggles against the bigger powerful teams (both weaknesses were seen against West Ham in the U23's recently). Should along with a few others be training with the first team though to continue progress.

So our squad -
Keepers - Meslier & Klaesson - Klaesson has improved so much from when he first arrived (was awesome recently against Man Utd U'23s and did really well when called into action against Wolves). Have changed my view and happy to stick with these two rather than bring in a experienced journeyman.
Behind them Van Heuval and even younger Harvey Christie will emerge as contenders at some stage, both have impressed as the season in the young teams as progressed.

Full Backs -
RB - Ayling or Shackleton (or Dallas), How long will Ayling keep performing or can Shacks make to position his own (i've put this as his permanent position as just see him as a midfielder in a top half team).
Some say Drameh may come back, sure he's done ok at Cardiff but I'm not convinced a lower Championship team equates to a top prem team and also he fell out with other players (as well as MB) when he left so not considering him at this stage.

LB - Firpo or Dallas (Heljde if needed or Struijk) - Agree with others that Firpo hasn't really delivered but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that firstly he's never been fully clear of injuries for a prolonged period and secondly he's one of those players that needs time to settle.
He needs to hit the ground running this season in my view or Mr reliable Stuart Dallas will be the main man as it stands.

Decision time for Jesse, do we need another FB (either left or right) or stick with what we've got.

Centre Backs - Llorente, Cooper, Koch, Struijk & Cresswell - Don't need anyone.

Midfield - Phillips, Klich, Forshaw (long term Bate) - Need one in for me, more of course if anyone leaves.

Wingers - Raphina, James, Harrison, Summerville (possibly Poveda apparently he's been putting lots of work in and impressed during his recovery from injury) - Don't need anyone unless one leaves.

2nd striker - Rodrigo (JM's system suits him) think Greenwood or Gelhardt could both play the role if needed but prefer them in the lead role - An attacking goalscoring/creative midfielder to compete would makes sense.

Striker - Bamford, Gelhardt & Greenwood. - Don't need anyone.

Just my views considering JM's system.

A defensive midfielder, an attacking midfielder and possibly a full back, I'll stress these signings need to be first 11 ready and at least as good as what we've got in the team but better is what we should be after.
Quality not quantity iswhat I want if we dip into the market.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
CheeznOnionPasty
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by CheeznOnionPasty »

We're at a new and difficult point with the squad, to progress we need to upgrade some of the older squad members. Some of the long time servants, that we all love, and that can still do a job for us, need to start being replaced. We have a few players aging out of their peaks as well, who would become the first candidates for that kind of succession planning.

Age 31 - Klich, Rodrigo, Dallas
Age 30 - Ayling, Coops, Forshaw

Full Back - probably a LB for first team to give Firpo competition, possibly another RB depending on Drameh and what Marsch thinks of Shackleton
Centre Mid - depending on where you think Dallas is best deployed, we are either short one currently or need to plan for the future - also think this is a prime area for an upgrade, so +1 first team and probably +1 u23
Attacking Mid - Marsch likes attacking players that can swap between all three roles, or at least two of them, he likes rotation and switches in the attacking line - if someone leaves a replacement is required, but I also think this is the area of the squad Marsch may want to change for different skill sets (I'd argue James and Summerville both better suited to playing wide roles, not inside roles) +1 first team, +2 if Raph leaves
Strikers - I am not sure that we have the right skill sets up front, hear me out. Bamford is great at leading the line but I see all three of Rodrigo, Gelhardt and Greenwood being better suited to a #10/deeper forward role. I also wouldn't be surprised if Greenwood is viewed as a better fit for one of the wide roles, with the focus on them coming inside. So I can see a need for a Bamford understudy who can play the more traditional #9 role.

LB = +1 first team (possible +1 RB, depends)
CM = +1 first team, +1 u23s
Attacking Midfield = +1 first team, +2 first team if Raph leaves
Striker = +1 first team

There's a lot of "depends" no matter which way you look at it.

"depends" on how Marsch views Dallas, as just utility, as a centre mid, as a winger, as a full back...
"depends" on whether Raphinha leaves
"depends" on what happens with Drameh
"depends" on Marsch's view on Shackleton

Going to be a fascinating summer for sure.
selbydave
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by selbydave »

teamtalk are saying we might be after ben foster on a free as experienced back up to meslier
at 39 yrs old he might fit the bill and his wages shouldn't be a issue
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

As it’s a rumours section there’s talk that Rapha was seen in Paris yesterday, PSG perhaps ?
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

ChilwellWhite wrote:As it’s a rumours section there’s talk that Rapha was seen in Paris yesterday, PSG perhaps ?
20/1 with the bookies.
CheeznOnionPasty
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by CheeznOnionPasty »

selbydave wrote:teamtalk are saying we might be after ben foster on a free as experienced back up to meslier
I watch his podcast occasionally and quite like Ben Foster, he'd be a good pro to be around supporting and helping Meslier and Klaesson develop. He's not the best keeper in the league but tough to judge him too harshly when he's sat behind that Watford team, he'd certainly be less controversial than Kiko was - only challenge of course is that he has played for Scum.
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

CheeznOnionPasty wrote:
selbydave wrote:teamtalk are saying we might be after ben foster on a free as experienced back up to meslier
I watch his podcast occasionally and quite like Ben Foster, he'd be a good pro to be around supporting and helping Meslier and Klaesson develop. He's not the best keeper in the league but tough to judge him too harshly when he's sat behind that Watford team, he'd certainly be less controversial than Kiko was - only challenge of course is that he has played for Scum.
Not sure we need a keeper think I'd stick with Klaesson as number 2. He's improved so much since he first arrived.
Lets just say if Meslier got injured I'd prefer Klaesson to Foster between the sticks.
Can understand the argument to have an experienced keeper to work with our young keepers but that assumes all older senior pros are good coaches and willing to help which isn't always the case. Can't speak whether Foster would be good or not in that role as just don't know.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

The Fonz wrote:
CheeznOnionPasty wrote:
Not sure we need a keeper think I'd stick with Klaesson as number 2. He's improved so much since he first arrived.
Lets just say if Meslier got injured I'd prefer Klaesson to Foster between the sticks.
Can understand the argument to have an experienced keeper to work with our young keepers but that assumes all older senior pros are good coaches and willing to help which isn't always the case. Can't speak whether Foster would be good or not in that role as just don't know.
I don't dislike Foster think he's a decent enough keeper but have to agree pushing Klaesson down the order isn't my favoured route.
I know it's one first team game but he did excellent at Wolves and against Man Utd U23's recently he pulled off two top class saves to keep a clean sheet.
And his kicking is good certainly one area he beats Meslier.
We have goalkeeping coaches to help improve our young talent, it's not the job of the no2 unless you employ them as player/coach. Maybe something Foster wants to go into, who knows?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.