Research help please

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Clarke One Nil
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Re: Research help please

Post by Clarke One Nil »

Here’s a very minor anecdote, and you’ll have to confirm it as I can’t remember where I heard it.

After Poland beat England in the 1973 World Cup qualifying game at Wembley, they played Ireland in a friendly on the Sunday. Ireland beat Poland 1-0 in the first Ireland match I went to as a child.

It was Johnny Giles’ first game as Ireland player manager, and Les Cocker (who worked with him at Leeds) was his assistant coach for the game with the info he had on Poland as England trainer.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Clarke One Nil wrote:Here’s a very minor anecdote, and you’ll have to confirm it as I can’t remember where I heard it.

After Poland beat England in the 1973 World Cup qualifying game at Wembley, they played Ireland in a friendly on the Sunday. Ireland beat Poland 1-0 in the first Ireland match I went to as a child.

It was Johnny Giles’ first game as Ireland player manager, and Les Cocker (who worked with him at Leeds) was his assistant coach for the game with the info he had on Poland as England trainer.

Last paragraph of this guys blog mentions the game etc

https://bionicbohs.wordpress.com/2007/0 ... -poland-0/
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Clarke One Nil wrote:Here’s a very minor anecdote, and you’ll have to confirm it as I can’t remember where I heard it.

Yes that's true, mate, in essence at least :thumbup:

Though England drew with Poland but knocked us out by doing so, great anecdote, thank you. I have the details but not sure if it all syncs with this time. Will check of course :D
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Ireland were playing on the Sunday, Giles was injured. Leeds were playing v Liverpool on the Saturday. Giles travelled to Ireland on the Friday and Don Revie allowed Les Cocker to leave early on the Saturday.
Clarke One Nil
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Clarke One Nil »

Another Northern Soul wrote:Though England drew with Poland but knocked us out by doing so, great anecdote, thank you. I have the details but not sure if it all syncs with this time. Will check of course :D
Yes, I meant to say knocked out not beat. I've found an Irish Times article from the Thursday which refers to Cocker being named as assistant coach for the game.

image uploader
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Clarke One Nil wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:Though England drew with Poland but knocked us out by doing so, great anecdote, thank you. I have the details but not sure if it all syncs with this time. Will check of course :D
Yes, I meant to say knocked out not beat. I've found an Irish Times article from the Thursday which refers to Cocker being named as assistant coach for the game.

image uploader
Brilliant! :clap: