30 years ago

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

30 years ago

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Today marks the day we were crowned champions after beating Sheffield United 3-2. What memories do you have ?
Winner of the Europa League
janecky
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Re: 30 years ago

Post by janecky »

Followed the match via teletext as it was not televised here. Nowadays we see every game.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

I sat in my lounge in Hednesford where I lived then and nervously watched the match on a sunny day. It was touch and go and then they went and scored. Disaster! Was thinking the worst. Then Rod Wallace got something of a deflected goal and the nerves were jangling. We fnally won after a Brian Gayle own goal but I stared at the TV for a long time after the final whistle in disbelief that we'd finally done it and understood again why LUFC are my love :D
Keep The Faith / WAL
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Wonderful day for 2 reasons for me.

While the match was on, I was a 17 year old travelling by bus to my schools All Ireland Hurling Final (FA Cup equivalent for schools) in Thurles, County Tipperary.

We beat St Colman's College, Fermoy (Cork) by 1-07 to 0-08 (scoreline added especially for Corky :D )

By the time match was over, I had heard that scum had lost, so double celebrations :D
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by Emley White »

It was a great day of course. The sun was out, we did our bit winning at Bramall Lane in a strange game of freaky goals. Then I really enjoyed watching Liverpool turning the old enemy over at Anfield giving us the title as it put us 4 points ahead with one to play. So many twists and turns that season but it was amazing to actually win the league in only our second season back in the big time. Truly remarkable achievement and would be the equivalent today of Fulham coming up and winning the league the season after next. So many great performances I remember but the win at Sheffield Wednesday sticks out for me. We were virtually written off as having no chance after Manchester Utd knocked us out of the Cup I think it was the week before. We then went to Hillsborough and put on an amazing performance for all the world to see and the message hey - these boys aren't out of this yet, by any means.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

I was living in France at the time and my mate James was visiting from the UK. The game was not on TV, of course, so we went for lunch in Italy then took him to the airport and got home to the news of our decisive victory. That evening I met my fellow Leeds fan Neil in Flaschmann's 'English' pub and we celebrated with several pints, interspersed with choruses of' 'Championes, Championes' - don't think the locals were impressed. I was that pleased with myself that I even struck up on the piano and regaled everyone with Lady Madonna :lol:
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Just dug out my DVD for that season, pulling out a cork from a bottle of White (not red today :D ), and going to enjoy a nice evening. :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Paul ITFC
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Paul ITFC »

Not particularly relevant to this site or this thread but 60 years ago tomorrow we (Ipswich Town) were crowned champions-and I was there.

Sorry for the intrusion!
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Paul ITFC wrote:Not particularly relevant to this site or this thread but 60 years ago tomorrow we (Ipswich Town) were crowned champions-and I was there.

Sorry for the intrusion!
Fantastic achievement it really was a team that included Ray Crawford if I’m right who played at Colchester in 1970-71 in that team that beat the Mighty Leeds.
Also Andy Nelson who I heard stories about when I lived in Torquay from Argyle supporting mates. Of course the team was managed by the wonderful Alf Ramsey think we all know what he went on to achieve ;)
A great memory as a Leeds fan was beating Ipswich in 1974 to lift the Championship with Billy, Sniffer & Lash all scoring. Lorimer’s goal was a fantastic strike.

PS I don’t think your post was intrusive..
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Back to 1992 what about Brian Gayle’s winner :lol: