30 years ago

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Paul ITFC
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Re: 30 years ago

Post by Paul ITFC »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Fantastic achievement it really was a team that included Ray Crawford if I’m right who played at Colchester in 1970-71 in that team that beat the Mighty Leeds.
Also Andy Nelson who I heard stories about when I lived in Torquay from Argyle supporting mates. Of course the team was managed by the wonderful Alf Ramsey think we all know what he went on to achieve ;)
A great memory as a Leeds fan was beating Ipswich in 1974 to lift the Championship with Billy, Sniffer & Lash all scoring. Lorimer’s goal was a fantastic strike.

PS I don’t think your post was intrusive..
Yes, Ray Crawford along with Ted Phillips got the bulk of our goals at that time-61 of the 93 league goals between them.

I was at that 3-2 game in 1974 at Elland Road although I don't think the title was certain until the QPR game the following week was it?

All of my trips to your ground have been with Ipswich, my first one in November 1969 and all those of recent years and a few in between.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Back to 1992 what about Brian Gayle’s winner :lol:
Best headed Leeds United goal ever! :D
https://www.facebook.com/LeedsUnited/vi ... 821940940/
Keep The Faith / WAL
Clarke One Nil

Post by Clarke One Nil »

Paul ITFC wrote: I was at that 3-2 game in 1974 at Elland Road although I don't think the title was certain until the QPR game the following week was it?
It was made certain between the two games when Arsenal beat Liverpool who then could not catch us.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Paul ITFC wrote:
Yes, Ray Crawford along with Ted Phillips got the bulk of our goals at that time-61 of the 93 league goals between them.

I was at that 3-2 game in 1974 at Elland Road although I don't think the title was certain until the QPR game the following week was it?

All of my trips to your ground have been with Ipswich, my first one in November 1969 and all those of recent years and a few in between.
Yes Crawford scored the first 2 goals in that FA Cup game, blooming heck 50+ years ago :roll: It was a long day travelling from North Yorkshire to see the game at Layer Road which was a cracking ground compared to the flat pack stadia they call home today. I went there twice back in 2009, both wins during our League 1 adventure. One of many new grounds the anorak in me ticked off during those 3 years.

Portman Road is what I call a proper ground always a joy to visit over the years. My first visit was 1969-70 I think I remember the game because Terry Hibbitt scored. Sadly Terry passed away aged just 46 back in 1994 although I think he was better known as a Newcastle & Birmingham City player.

I enjoy our posts they always tend to evoke memories good & bad we are clearly of the same vintage ;)

Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

I remember Terry but as said above mainly as a Newcastle and Birmingham player. His brother Kenny also had a decent career playing over 450 times for Wolves. Pretty sure he went into management as well .
Paul ITFC

Post by Paul ITFC »

Clarke One Nil wrote:
Paul ITFC wrote: I was at that 3-2 game in 1974 at Elland Road although I don't think the title was certain until the QPR game the following week was it?
It was made certain between the two games when Arsenal beat Liverpool who then could not catch us.

Thank you for clarifying because I did not think the title was certain after the Ipswich game.
At that time I went to most LUFC games in London (and Norfolk) and hoped to go to QPR but I saw the queue for tickets after the Ipswich game and had no chance because I had to get the train back to Ipswich.
Paul ITFC

Post by Paul ITFC »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Yes Crawford scored the first 2 goals in that FA Cup game, blooming heck 50+ years ago :roll: It was a long day travelling from North Yorkshire to see the game at Layer Road which was a cracking ground compared to the flat pack stadia they call home today. I went there twice back in 2009, both wins during our League 1 adventure. One of many new grounds the anorak in me ticked off during those 3 years.

I enjoy our posts they always tend to evoke memories good & bad we are clearly of the same vintage ;)
I went to Layer Road a few times but have never been inside Colchester's 'new' ground although I have been past it loads of times.

I was actually at Stoke for an ITFC F.A. Cup game on the day of the Colchester v Leeds game.

I enjoy posting on here too and I am glad that you do not see me as an intruder.

My passion for LUFC really only covered the mid 60's to the mid 70's but I do still show an interest although I am very much on the side of ITFC now when the teams meet. I think I have posted on here before that once at Portman Road I had a Leeds scarf on one wrist and an Ipswich one on the other- it was maybe the first of the four F.A. Cup games in 1975 when we (Ipswich) had our record crowd of 38010 but it could have been another game around that time. I still have that Leeds scarf btw.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Paul, please keep posting. Your stories are interesting from a fantastic era for both our sides.

Think I have mentioned my mother who is not a real football fan followed Ipswich thanks to the 1978 FA Cup Final which was the first final as a family we watched together when we lived in the UK.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Paul ITFC wrote:
Clarke One Nil wrote:

Thank you for clarifying because I did not think the title was certain after the Ipswich game.
At that time I went to most LUFC games in London (and Norfolk) and hoped to go to QPR but I saw the queue for tickets after the Ipswich game and had no chance because I had to get the train back to Ipswich.
The QPR queue for tickets was crazy in fact dangerous so the club cancelled the sale and did it the following morning.
Train back to Selby then back to Leeds with the sleeping bags and spent the night with a few hundred Leeds fans. Worth it got my ticket.

That Ipswich game goes down in Leeds Utd history, the Scratching Sheds last game. Torn down afterwards to be replaced by the South Stand.
And of course Don Revies last home game.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Selby White wrote:
That Ipswich game goes down in Leeds Utd history, the Scratching Sheds last game. Torn down afterwards to be replaced by the South Stand.
The construction of the South Stand.

Winner of the Europa League