Who’s a naughty boy

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Who’s a naughty boy

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Leeds have picked up 93 yellow cards this season and are just two away from setting a new Premier League record for the most bookings by a club in a single season.

Sunderland currently hold that record (94) set in 2014/15.

Firpo (9)
Rodrigo (8)
James (7)
Llorente (7)
Struijk (6)
Raphinha (6)
Forshaw (5)
Dallas (5)
Roberts (5)
Shackleton (4)
Gelhardt (4)
Cooper (4)
Ayling (4)
Klich (4)
Harrison (3)
Koch (3)
Meslier (2)
Phillips (2)
Bamford (2)
Cresswell/Drameh/Kenneh (1)
Winner of the Europa League
John Dane
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Re: Who’s a naughty boy

Post by John Dane »

I actually do not think it is “Dirty dirty Leeds”, but more an expression that many of our players play faster than their technique allows. And then especially a couple of Dan James' warnings are pretty unsympathetic, I think.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Leeds have picked up 93 yellow cards this season and are just two away from setting a new Premier League record for the most bookings by a club in a single season.

Sunderland currently hold that record (94) set in 2014/15.

Firpo (9)
Rodrigo (8)
James (7)
Llorente (7)
Struijk (6)
Raphinha (6)
Forshaw (5)
Dallas (5)
Roberts (5)
Shackleton (4)
Gelhardt (4)
Cooper (4)
Ayling (4)
Klich (4)
Harrison (3)
Koch (3)
Meslier (2)
Phillips (2)
Bamford (2)
Cresswell/Drameh/Kenneh (1)
Interesting enough but it strikes me that so many of the Yellow cards are for rank stupidity (e.g. Firpo for kicking the ball away and Kenneh for some misdemeanor on the Subs bench) or silly bookings.
I have to say that Firpo's indiscipline is ridiculous given the number of games he's managed to play for us and I can't imagine why Rodrigo is at the top end of the list as he isn't one to be sticking his foot in very often or a player who is likely to be booked for dissent.
Also I wonder if this kind of a thing would have been of concern to Marcelo Bielsa
Keep The Faith / WAL
Gascoigne
Terry Venables's car dealer

Post by Gascoigne »

Not saying it's the case here, but it can be a sign that the players are out of their depth and need to either up their game or go down a division for a while.
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

Gascoigne wrote:Not saying it's the case here, but it can be a sign that the players are out of their depth and need to either up their game or go down a division for a while.
So what are you saying?

A few of those near the top of the list would likely leave if we went down.

To me it shows they are still committed to the cause.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

The Fonz wrote:
Gascoigne wrote:Not saying it's the case here, but it can be a sign that the players are out of their depth and need to either up their game or go down a division for a while.
So what are you saying?

Committed cos they got a booking?
Gascoigne

Post by Gascoigne »

The Fonz wrote:
So what are you saying?

I'm saying what I've just said.

To repeat:

I'm not saying it is the case here, but it can be a sign that they are out of their depth.
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

Gascoigne wrote:
The Fonz wrote:
So what are you saying?

To repeat:

I'm not saying it is the case here, but it can be a sign that they are out of their depth.
You're missing the point you have said what you are not saying is the reason but was interested in why you think our disciplinary record looks poor.

For example Firpo got booked today and I'm sure some will criticise but for me he took one for the team as they player was away. Pleased he fouled the player they are not so quick without their legs.

Compare that to Struijk getting sent off against Liverpool, not even a foul was sent of due to the severity of the injury.
Same thing Grealish breaking Dallas leg yet he wasn't sent off which was the right decision in my view as it was two committed players coming together.
But Struijk red card shows on our record.

Quite a few of the bookings are for goal celebrations, silly way for racking up points but players at certain clubs get away with it.
Gascoigne

Post by Gascoigne »

The Fonz wrote:
Gascoigne wrote:
The Fonz wrote:
So what are you saying?

To repeat:

You're missing the point you have said what you are not saying is the reason but was interested in why you think our disciplinary record looks poor.

For example Firpo got booked today and I'm sure some will criticise but for me he took one for the team as they player was away. Pleased he fouled the player they are not so quick without their legs.

Compare that to Struijk getting sent off against Liverpool, not even a foul was sent of due to the severity of the injury.
Same thing Grealish breaking Dallas leg yet he wasn't sent off which was the right decision in my view as it was two committed players coming together.

Quite a few of the bookings are for goal celebrations, silly way for racking up points but players at certain clubs get away with it.
Factor [X] can be present in [Y] phenomenon.

Y phenomenon is present.

I don't know if X explains it in this case.

I merely note that X can be an explanation for Y.

Not sure what point you think I'm missing in giving your examples. Factor X can be accompanied by factors A, B, C and D, or W, M, K and F.

I repeat that if lots of players in a side are picking up a disciplinary record, it could be because they aren't ready to play at that level. But I only say it is one possible factor. I don't say it is a factor here, because I simply don't know. I merely say that, in general, it sometimes is (perhaps accompanied by other factors/reasons) and therefore it's worth considering, alongside other things.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Gascoigne wrote:
The Fonz wrote:
Gascoigne wrote:
The Fonz wrote:
So what are you saying?

To repeat:

Factor [X] can be present in [Y] phenomenon.

Y phenomenon is present.

I don't know if X explains it in this case.

I merely note that X can be an explanation for Y.

Not sure what point you think I'm missing in giving your examples. Factor X can be accompanied by factors A, B, C and D, or W, M, K and F.

I repeat that if lots of players in a side are picking up a disciplinary record, it could be because they aren't ready to play at that level. But I only say it is one possible factor. I don't say it is a factor here, because I simply don't know. I merely say that, in general, it sometimes is (perhaps accompanied by other factors/reasons) and therefore it's worth considering, alongside other things.
It's just a game of football.
I once played against Don Revie.