50 years ago today

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
frogmill0
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Re: 50 years ago today

Post by frogmill0 »

I, too, was there that day and I still have my programme and ticket stub.

I can remember as if it was yesterday the Mick Jones run and cross leading to Allan Clarke's goal but I have no recollection at all of Tommy Steele leading the singing. Selective memory, I guess!
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Cant compare to being there, but I remember the day well. I was the only one in my family who followed football other than my mum who loved "that wee firey man Bremner" lol. I got to watch the tv for the whole day (something unheard of)
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

frogmill0 wrote:I, too, was there that day and I still have my programme and ticket stub.

I can remember as if it was yesterday the Mick Jones run and cross leading to Allan Clarke's goal but I have no recollection at all of Tommy Steele leading the singing. Selective memory, I guess!
Recall when Tommy Steel came out in his White Suit we all started singing "Tommy's dressed in White"
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Tedbaker
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Tedbaker »

It was the game that made me, a boy from near Stockport, a Leeds fan, and then I cried the following year when we lost to Sunderland. All my friends were Man City or Man United fans, but I wanted to be different. I have a replica Clarke shirt upstairs with the centenary badge that I got for my 50th. Little did I know my obsession would cause me so much pain over the years.
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Westminster »

Tedbaker wrote:It was the game that made me, a boy from near Stockport, a Leeds fan, and then I cried the following year when we lost to Sunderland. All my friends were Man City or Man United fans, but I wanted to be different. I have a replica Clarke shirt upstairs with the centenary badge that I got for my 50th. Little did I know my obsession would cause me so much pain over the years.
the first Cup Final I can remember is '72 and Allan Clarke's flying header - it was the game that started my lifelong love affair with Leeds United.

Then we got to the final again the following year and I just thought we'd win again, in fact I think I assumed we'd win it every year! But then, of course, we lost. To my total horror. I can still vividly remember leaping out of the chair in joy as Lorimer struck the equalizer - and then of course the shock and disbelief as Montgomery turned it onto the bar. I realised then that following Leeds United wasn't going to be an easy gig.

Then two years later came that night in Paris and game that, to be honest, has affected me ever since. It sounds silly really but watching that game changed my life for ever inasmuch as it made me realise the world isn't fair. I was still only a kid but but I could see we were cheated that night and I could tell that it was the beginning of the end for that great team. It made me realise that you don't always get what you deserve in life.