50 years ago today

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

50 years ago today

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Today marks the Golden Anniversary of Leeds United winning the FA Cup without doubt the highlight of my football life, just beating Anfield in ‘69.
Winner of the Europa League
Paul ITFC
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Re: 50 years ago today

Post by Paul ITFC »

I was at Wembley that day. I think that I got my ticket via ITFC but I travelled to the game with two blokes from where I worked (in Ipswich) and I have no idea where they got their tickets from. I was in the Leeds end but I think they were somewhere near the halfway line.
A wonderful, memorable day.

It is 44 years ago today that I was also there to see ITFC win the Cup, both 1-0 wins against Arsenal by coincidence.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

I think it’s sad that this was a day that so many of us cherished & remember so fondly but the competition has become so under valued these days. For fans of every club across the country Cup Final day was the highlight of the season. I so enjoy watching rounds 1 to 3 because they still maintain the magic of it all. It was an honour to win it & be able the next season to complete in the Cup Winners Cup where you’d play against the best Europe had to offer. Sadly in todays money driven game the cup doesn’t generate the financial rewards clubs want these days. It sounds corny but Tommy Steele leading the singing before the game made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.
This was a day BBC was dominated by the final seeing the players at the hotel to them travelling by coach to Wembley & who can forget Stuart Hall & Eddie Waring in It’s A Knockout. Halcyon days which sadly will never be repeated.
Paul ITFC
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Paul ITFC »

NottinghamWhite wrote:I think it’s sad that this was a day that so many of us cherished & remember so fondly but the competition has become so under valued these days. For fans of every club across the country Cup Final day was the highlight of the season. I so enjoy watching rounds 1 to 3 because they still maintain the magic of it all. It was an honour to win it & be able the next season to complete in the Cup Winners Cup where you’d play against the best Europe had to offer. Sadly in todays money driven game the cup doesn’t generate the financial rewards clubs want these days. It sounds corny but Tommy Steele leading the singing before the game made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.
This was a day BBC was dominated by the final seeing the players at the hotel to them travelling by coach to Wembley & who can forget Stuart Hall & Eddie Waring in It’s A Knockout. Halcyon days which sadly will never be repeated.
I was going to mention Tommy Steele (in his white suit) because that is a memory that I still have from that day.
Regarding the F.A. Cup, it is a shame that it has 'died' in importance.
I can reel off the results of the Finals through the 1950's-1980's and a little bit beyond but would have to guess if asked 'who won the cup in 2019?'
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

The demise of the cup started when they moved the semi-finals to Wembley again money driven. It was great going to see your team play at Hillsborough or Villa Park it made that day out in London that more special. Imagine these days if you got to the final the cost incurred with that & the semis.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Halcyon days indeed the demise wasn’t helped when Ferguson pulled Scum out of the competition to play in the World Club final or whatever Mickey Mouse competition it was. All I wish to say is Clarke one nil.
BTW loving the above posts ;)
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Wow. I have the match programme from that! :D God knows where the time has gone.....
Keep The Faith / WAL
guitarmark
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by guitarmark »

Part of my youth was watching the whole FA Cup Final from around noon onwards - Even when I started work I'd have the day of to watch the whole coverage - Obviously back then it was really the only match you saw live all year - No Sky etc with what is 'overkill'

I bet from Leic/Man City to well into the 80's I watched them all - Now I've missed so many and don't get hooked on them - For whatever reason - May watch this year as it has the potential to be a good game

But going back to 1972 final - My brother recently found a 12" album of the whole match and brought it for me - https://thevinylfrontierbarry.com/fa-cu ... 5654-p.asp - see similar on this link - To be honest I've not played it as I have no record player - But it is on display in my office

But would love us to get there again and watch it at Wembley and take my daughter - Dreams eh ?
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Paul ITFC wrote:
I was going to mention Tommy Steele (in his white suit) because that is a memory that I still have from that day.
Regarding the F.A. Cup, it is a shame that it has 'died' in importance.
I can reel off the results of the Finals through the 1950's-1980's and a little bit beyond but would have to guess if asked 'who won the cup in 2019?'
Isn’t it funny how you retain things in your mind & yes I’ll never forget Steele in his white suit, perhaps it was a sign. Like yourself after the mid 80’s I kinda lost interest & can’t remember the last final I watched. Anyway I’ve just sat outside with a coffee allowing my mind to drift back to that glorious day 50 years ago, as Pop Larkin would say Perfick.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

guitarmark wrote:... back then it was really the only match you saw live all year - No Sky etc with what is 'overkill'...
So true.
I see it with my 12 year old and his mates, who all love football, but because every match is available on their phones, there's no joy in sitting to watch a match on TV.

Even more disappointing is when I chat to him about great players of my youth. His first (and genuine) question is 'oh, was he the best in the world?'
When the answer is honestly no, but a great player, he loses interest because he can pull up Messi and Ronaldo clips in an instant and watch them.

My best memories as a kid involved my father and his generation telling me all about Giles, Bremner, Cruyff, Best, Eusébio etc etc - doesn't happen any more :(
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay