50 years ago today

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Paul ITFC
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Re: 50 years ago today

Post by Paul ITFC »

NottinghamWhite wrote:The demise of the cup started when they moved the semi-finals to Wembley again money driven. It was great going to see your team play at Hillsborough or Villa Park it made that day out in London that more special. Imagine these days if you got to the final the cost incurred with that & the semis.

Very true, part of the thrill of winning an F.A. Cup Final was that 'we are going to Wembley!'

ITFC have only made three semi-finals and only won one of them, beating WBA 3-1 at Highbury in 1978 but when John Wark put us 3-1 up with about two minutes left, the roar from The Clock End was incredible because it meant that ITFC were going to Wembley.
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Westminster »

NottinghamWhite wrote:I think it’s sad that this was a day that so many of us cherished & remember so fondly but the competition has become so under valued these days. For fans of every club across the country Cup Final day was the highlight of the season. I so enjoy watching rounds 1 to 3 because they still maintain the magic of it all. It was an honour to win it & be able the next season to complete in the Cup Winners Cup where you’d play against the best Europe had to offer. Sadly in todays money driven game the cup doesn’t generate the financial rewards clubs want these days. It sounds corny but Tommy Steele leading the singing before the game made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.
This was a day BBC was dominated by the final seeing the players at the hotel to them travelling by coach to Wembley & who can forget Stuart Hall & Eddie Waring in It’s A Knockout. Halcyon days which sadly will never be repeated.
The FA Cup was massive back then. For me, as a kid at the time, I would have much preferred us to win the Cup than the league if I was given a choice between the two.
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

Westminster wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:I think it’s sad that this was a day that so many of us cherished & remember so fondly but the competition has become so under valued these days. For fans of every club across the country Cup Final day was the highlight of the season. I so enjoy watching rounds 1 to 3 because they still maintain the magic of it all. It was an honour to win it & be able the next season to complete in the Cup Winners Cup where you’d play against the best Europe had to offer. Sadly in todays money driven game the cup doesn’t generate the financial rewards clubs want these days. It sounds corny but Tommy Steele leading the singing before the game made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.
This was a day BBC was dominated by the final seeing the players at the hotel to them travelling by coach to Wembley & who can forget Stuart Hall & Eddie Waring in It’s A Knockout. Halcyon days which sadly will never be repeated.
The FA Cup was massive back then. For me, as a kid at the time, I would have much preferred us to win the Cup than the league if I was given a choice between the two.
Couldn't agree more, it shames the game that coming 4th in the league is more important than winning the FA cup.

Every schoolboys dream to score the winner in the cup final, certainly among us of a certain age.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Westminster wrote:
That was always the case in the 1940's. League was second prize.
I once played against Don Revie.
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

That was the day I officially became a Leeds supporter. I was six years old and I can remember as if it were yesterday, asking my dad who he wanted to win the cup. Before he answered, he asked me the same question. Without hesitation I replied Leeds. He looked at me and smiled and said "thats good, you should always support the team from where you were born". Wise words and thus followed a love affair of highs and lows, and seeing so many of my schoolmates changing teams. Shame the cup has lost its magic to the moneymen, cup final day back in the day was magic, a whole day of cup related programmes and Grandstand competing with World of Sport. So glad I could live through those times.
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Winner of the Europa League
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

cheffy007 wrote:That was the day I officially became a Leeds supporter. I was six years old and I can remember as if it were yesterday, asking my dad who he wanted to win the cup. Before he answered, he asked me the same question. Without hesitation I replied Leeds. He looked at me and smiled and said "thats good, you should always support the team from where you were born". Wise words and thus followed a love affair of highs and lows, and seeing so many of my schoolmates changing teams. Shame the cup has lost its magic to the moneymen, cup final day back in the day was magic, a whole day of cup related programmes and Grandstand competing with World of Sport. So glad I could live through those times.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Barlow Boy wrote:
cheffy007 wrote:That was the day I officially became a Leeds supporter. I was six years old and I can remember as if it were yesterday, asking my dad who he wanted to win the cup. Before he answered, he asked me the same question. Without hesitation I replied Leeds. He looked at me and smiled and said "thats good, you should always support the team from where you were born". Wise words and thus followed a love affair of highs and lows, and seeing so many of my schoolmates changing teams. Shame the cup has lost its magic to the moneymen, cup final day back in the day was magic, a whole day of cup related programmes and Grandstand competing with World of Sport. So glad I could live through those times.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
From memory, didn't the FA Cup coverage start on a Thursday evening? :lol:
I once played against Don Revie.
psquithy
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by psquithy »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Image
Who won It's a Knockout?
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

psquithy wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:Image
Who won It's a Knockout?
I think we did mate but I'm not sure. I do believe though that the Leeds fans team and Arsenal's wore sock tags. Leeds United only ever wore 3 different coloured ones in actual football matches, though there are claims every now and then of different colours (ebay).

On ebay someone had for sale one of the Arsenal IAK red sock tags, quite funny really as in a way it is a bit of LU memorabilia and I think it got a decent price.