Raphinha

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Tedbaker
Brian McDermott's optician

Re: Raphinha

Post by Tedbaker »

Well I don’t think his attitude is iffy. See how he reacted in the last match. Without our central spine he didn’t get much decent supply and when he did there was no-one to pass to. He has suffered from trying worldies when he didn’t need to at times. But he is one of the most talented players we’ve seen at ER. But he can’t win matches on his own.

As for the amount, he didn’t do himself a favour when we beat Brentford. I’m sure they’ll be some compromise given his contribution. I’m not sure it will be enough for Barca. I would prefer he goes overseas rather than to a team like Spurs or ManU.

I’m not sure he’s ahead of Vinicius by the way.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Tedbaker wrote:Well I don’t think his attitude is iffy.
Agree one thing I don't think you can accuse him of is having a iffy attitude, even when it's not going right he never stops grafting.
He is moody but that's because he's passionate and cares.

In fact I'd say all 4 of our wingers (Raph, Harrison, James & Summerville) have a great attitude and work ethic.

Have seen plenty of wingers in the past happy to drift in and out of games (often goes with the flair players) , these boys want to be involved.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
gilesdriveby
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by gilesdriveby »

Selby White wrote:
Tedbaker wrote:Well I don’t think his attitude is iffy.
Agree one thing I don't think you can accuse him of is having a iffy attitude, even when it's not going right he never stops grafting.
He is moody but that's because he's passionate and cares.

In fact I'd say all 4 of our wingers (Raph, Harrison, James & Summerville) have a great attitude and work ethic.

Have seen plenty of wingers in the past happy to drift in and out of games (often goes with the flair players) , these boys want to be involved.
Absolutely agree. Imagine if we had Pogba or Rashford rather than Raphina, I’m not sure either would have been of use in a relegation dogfight.

If we had lost to Brentford then Raphina would arguably been in better position to leave for Barcelona.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Am I missing something? I don't understand some on here indicating that they would be happy to accept some very low offers and suggesting that the actual final agreeable figure would be boosted by one or two makeweight players.
We got lucky when we drafted Raphinha in. Others, like Liverpool were looking at him but couldn't make their minds up quickly enough. Seemed that there might not be something not quite right there perhaps. Leeds decided to take a punt and it's turned out very well. Raphinha himself was very fortunate that there was a genius in the form of Marcelo Bielsa waiting for him; a man who can get get the very best out of players he coaches. It has been the making of him for which he should be eternally grateful and thank LUFC for setting him on the right path!
So we end up with a player, who has gone on to become an International player with Brazil where he is becoming a fixture. The bidding for his services should be circa £80m especially when you consider some of the players that have fetched a £100m plus fee. I know it was Man City but they've paid £100m for a player like Grealish :roll: :lol: who looks half baked and more interested in partying and boozing than making a professional effort to nail down a place in their side. Raphinha as things currently are is worth way more than half that amount. To let him go for less than the £80m I said earlier would be a hell of an own goal IMHO
Keep The Faith / WAL
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

PhoenixUnited wrote:Am I missing something? I don't understand some on here indicating that they would be happy to accept some very low offers and suggesting that the actual final agreeable figure would be boosted by one or two makeweight players.
Not me Phoenix we should base most of our effort on keeping Raph & Kalvin.
Whatever some experts think all signings are risky, those we already have we know are good at Prem level, simple as that.
Lose then we are weaker and gambling.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by corkleedsmot »

mshnd06 wrote:I'd be satisfied with 20 million, Dest and Puig. I might be an idiot, though.
About 50 million short :D

Puig is available for 5 million or somehting ridiculous. Dest is available for 20ish

HUGE news. Barca are broke. A deal for close to 300 mill has fallen through. They can afford exactly nobody :lolno: :lolno:

Come back after the WC and get you a 120 mill pound player. Arrogant club!
Metro1962
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Metro1962 »

I can not see Raph going to Barca.
mshnd06
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by mshnd06 »

I love Raphinha, am grateful for his contribution. I certainly would love to watch him continue for us but find it unlikely. In the event he leaves, I wish him well. That said, I just can't imagine anyone paying 100m for him in the summer. The likes of Grealish and Sancho are cited without accounting for the English tax and their higher profile for a longer period of time. This is not to say that Raphinha doesn't compare favorably as a player, but that transfer fees often involve other less meaningful-in-a-football-sense factors. I also think that a few of this season's slumps (certainly not entirely his fault given the lack of support, etc.) have damaged his value. Could the world cup boost his value? Sure, but chance factors considerably more in a short tournament and I have him firmly behind Vinicius Jr and in the tier with Rodrygo, Antony, Gabriel Martinelli. That's not including guys like Richarlison and Gabriel Jesus who can also play on the wing. I just struggle to see Raphinha as first choice in a high stakes game with a full strength Brazil. From my vantage you are overly optimistic on his value, just as I am like likely overly pessimistic. His true value at the moment is likely in the 70-80 range. I like Dest and Puig as makeweight because they are young, talented, and are likely undervalued by Barcelona. Dest could be an excellent option at RB and can also play on the left without much of a drop. Puig could address our central midfield need and inject significant creativity. I've heard 20m for the former and 10m for the latter typically cited. Call it 40-50 for Raphinha and we're probably in plausible zone. All of this is moot, of course, given the Barca bank account

Again, all of this is qualified by the fact that I might be, and likely am, an idiot in such things
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

I like Dest and Puig as makeweight because they are young, talented, and are likely undervalued by Barcelona.

So let’s sell Raphinha to a club that has the money to overpay for him If we have to sell and Then we buy these undervalued players from Barcelona for almost nothing :thumbup:
mshnd06
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by mshnd06 »

Polkadot wrote:
I like Dest and Puig as makeweight because they are young, talented, and are likely undervalued by Barcelona.

So let’s sell Raphinha to a club that has the money to overpay for him If we have to sell and Then we buy these undervalued players from Barcelona for almost nothing :thumbup:
Can't argue with that logic