Leeds sign Jack Butland on loan

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 2

Leeds sign Jack Butland on loan

Post by Deleted User 2 »

@LUFC: The club can confirm a deal is agreed for England international Jack Butland to join on loan from Stoke until the end of the season #lufc
A deal has been agreed for England international goalkeeper Jack Butland to join Leeds United on loan until the end of the season.

The 22-year-old, who has represented England at all age groups including the senior side, and was a part of the Great Britain team at the 2012 Olympics, will arrive from Premier League side Stoke City.

The signing is seen as a real coup for the club, and manager Brian McDermott said: “We’re delighted to agree a deal to secure the services of Jack until the end of the season.

“Obviously he has high ambitions. He has already been involved in the England squad and I know he is very much looking forward to coming in and being part of the group we have here.”

Jack, who cost Stoke £3.5m from Birmingham City in January 2013, has made 87 career appearances, including three in the Premier League.

He was Birmingham’s Young Player of the Year in 2012/13, and this season he has made 13 appearances for Barnsley during a loan spell at Oakwell, including a terrific performance in a 0-0 draw at Elland Road in December.

Jack also became the youngest goalkeeper to play for England when he made his senior international debut in a 2-1 win against Italy in 2012.

United managing director David Haigh said: “We’re delighted we’ve been able agree a deal to bring in a player of Jack’s quality and pedigree. He is a young player who has played at the very highest level, and we’re looking forward to him joining us.”

The goalkeeper is expected to complete the formalities of his move ahead of Saturday's trip to Middlesbrough.

- See more at: http://www.leedsunited.com/news/article ... RO6lj.dpuf
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Leeds sign Jack Butland on loan

Post by Davycc »

Great news what with Paddy injured. Just guessing but has he maybe been carrying that injury for a while now as he had def not been his usual self.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

You could be right about carrying the injury. On the face of it Butland is a great signing.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Fernandopartridge
Major Frank Buckley's monkey gland expert

Post by Fernandopartridge »

Brilliant signing, ups the competition for places when Paddy is back. I hope he produces the kind of form that got him that England cap!
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

He's a big lad is Jack Butland, let's hope that we've seen the last of conceding headers inside the six yard box.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

It's nice to see a nucleus of Brits at the club again, isn't it ?
I'm no xenophobe, but it's too easy to plump for "bargain" European players and, frankly, it's lazy. There's plenty of good players in the lower leagues so why not bring them through and see how far they go.

In fact, we could field an all-English squad at the moment, let alone British:

Butland
Peltier - Lees - Pearce - Warnock
Byram - Murphy - Mowatt - Stewart
Poleon - Smith

Subs: Cairns, Wootton, Pugh, Brown, Tonge, Thompson, Parkin

It's a long time since we've done that ...
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

rigger wrote:It's nice to see a nucleus of Brits at the club again, isn't it ?
I'm no xenophobe, but it's too easy to plump for "bargain" European players and, frankly, it's lazy. There's plenty of good players in the lower leagues so why not bring them through and see how far they go.

In fact, we could field an all-English squad at the moment, let alone British:

Butland
Peltier - Lees - Pearce - Warnock
Byram - Murphy - Mowatt - Stewart
Poleon - Smith

Subs: Cairns, Wootton, Pugh, Brown, Tonge, Thompson, Parkin

It's a long time since we've done that ...
Kenny was technically born in England. No Norris or Ashdown due to injury? What about Drury?

No McCormack... jeepers.

Butland's a good signing and signals some intent and ambition, as well as signifying the calibre of player we're now looking to attain.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

That's Ace news, sign him up, Cellino ..... Sign .... Him .....Uuuuuup.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

He is superfluous to requirements on-going - however if we have a long term plan Butland and 6 or 7 more of his ilk should be signed & we might just get him given he has had 12 months of relative stagnation.
+15
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by +15 »

Top news. Straight into the side against Boro. :thumbup: