Greatest Players

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Wilfred Martin
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Re: Greatest Players

Post by Wilfred Martin »

johnh wrote:None of these three would have made Don Revie's reserve team. Snodgrass might have had a chance if he'd improved his work-rate by 100%.
I very much doubt it, John! :)
I like Snodgrass, but he wouldn't find a starting place in a top 6 team.
We're on our way to....
Deleted User 1076

Post by Deleted User 1076 »

It kind of depends how you define "greatest" in fairness.
ulster_white
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by ulster_white »

Although I never saw him play but from what I've read and seen on video I'd like to include Albert Johanneson in our top 100 and of course Tony Yeboah his stay was all too brief but blimey what a player.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

I never saw John Charles play, I saw all of the great Revie side play over and over and they were amazing players, but ...... John Charles would be my number one, based on what my dad told me and ex-pros saying just how great a player he was. After John Charles I would choose all of the Revie era squad before any other players apart from Bobby Collins. After that you are looking at the championship winning squad managed by Wilkinson and players since then have been no where near as classy, all IMO obviously.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Ulster_white
I was privileged to see Albert Johanneson play on many occasions. He would be in the top 50 let alone the top 100. Comparing the likes of Beckford, Snodgrass, Gradel et al to Albert is like comparing Stoke City to Barcelona.
I once played against Don Revie.
ulster_white

Post by ulster_white »

Aces wrote:I never saw John Charles play, I saw all of the great Revie side play over and over and they were amazing players, but ...... John Charles would be my number one, based on what my dad told me and ex-pros saying just how great a player he was. After John Charles I would choose all of the Revie era squad before any other players apart from Bobby Collins. After that you are looking at the championship winning squad managed by Wilkinson and players since then have been no where near as classy, all IMO obviously.
John Charles must have been special, they still talk about him in Italy but having grown up in the 70's Billy Bremner will always be Leeds United's No 1 player.
ulster_white

Post by ulster_white »

johnh wrote:Ulster_white
I was privileged to see Albert Johanneson play on many occasions. He would be in the top 50 let alone the top 100. Comparing the likes of Beckford, Snodgrass, Gradel et al to Albert is like comparing Stoke City to Barcelona.
I read somewhere once that George Best was an admirer of Albert's, it was sad how things went for him after his playing career.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

davidbattyspants wrote:It kind of depends how you define "greatest" in fairness.
Yes, I agree. Is it their qualities as an individual player, their qualities as a team player (after all it is a team game). Is it their influence on the development of Leeds as a top club.

Regardless of criteria, my top 5 would be: John Charles, Bobby Collins, Billy Bremner/Johnny Giles (equal third), Jack Charlton, Norman Hunter.
But all for different reasons. eg Paul Madeley would maybe make no. 5 if the criteria was based on 'team player'. From no. 5 onward, it gets very difficult and even more subjective.
I once played against Don Revie.
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

johnh wrote:Ulster_white
And check his strike rate from the wing. Almost 1 in 3. Snoddy by comparison was 1 in 5. Eddie 1 in 9 ( I don't have a maths 'O' level mindst :D )

First lufc player to excite me Albert :thumbup:

TC would be in my top 5. Defined the overlapping fullback role and did it in white boots anall. The most potent white boots in world football. An icon our Terry.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

What about Rachubka? Did he make the top ........... Million? :lol:
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT