Discipline and team spirit

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
notfamousanymore
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Discipline and team spirit

Post by notfamousanymore »

There are a number of rumours around which may be a pointer to what's happening at the moment, or may just have been invented to explain the catastrophic collapse in performance.

The Adam Pope/McDermott interview alluded to some disciplinary issues ref Peltier and Warnock. There were associated rumours that the two showed up drunk/hung over to training Sunday following a night out post-Bolton. Kebe (mercifully not in the squad) was explained away as 'sick' if I recall correctly.

There was also some discussion about some issues/incidents on the Christmas trip to Ireland which coincided with the wreckage over the festive period

Early season, this looked like a team which were not hugely talented but were punching above their weight, playing as a team, and playing for each other.

Doesn't look like that now, does it?

Any thoughts?
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Discipline and team spirit

Post by Barlow Boy »

notfamousanymore wrote:The Adam Pope/McDermott interview alluded to some disciplinary issues ref Peltier and Warnock. There were associated rumours that the two showed up drunk/hung over to training Sunday following a night out post-Bolton.
Heard they frequented a lap-dancing bar into the early hours. I only heard this, so nothing whatsoever to substantiate, but clearly something has gone on.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

I picked up on the rumours as well - if true, they are damning for BM. The book for that kind of thing stops with the manager. Would support the view that he's too nice. It is just rumour of course but there are certainly odd things going on.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Pecky10

Post by Pecky10 »

Mellor wrote:I picked up on the rumours as well - if true, they are damning for BM. The book for that kind of thing stops with the manager. Would support the view that he's too nice. It is just rumour of course but there are certainly odd things going on.
I'm not following. The two players were dropped from the squad so it suggests to me that he won't tolerate ill-discipline. You can't blame him if players misbehave, but you could say he was being too nice if he ignored it, which it's clear he hasn't.
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

The debate has been running since the Xmas party, post Bolton is just another (alleged) example. The fact that players felt they could do it suggests there's a lack of respect for BM/the club/fans and that discipline at the club may be an issue. Additionally, the untouchable nature of some may indicate a clique (just guessing now) and those who regularly take the hit may just be asking themselves, what's the point.

Z's period on Alpha Centauri post Wendies also feels odd although second half last night he was back to his Wendies best.

All rumour of course but when your form is relegation, when off the field is in turmoil, when wages have been an alleged issue, when the captain changed 3 times, when the system changes regularly, when the team is built around 1 or 2 untouchables etc etc etc odd things happen.

Does anyone think that squad looks happy or has what tends to get called 'the Dunkirk Spirit' ? Does BM 'feel' like a strict disciplinarian? We will all have our own views of course.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
jjrgreeney
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by jjrgreeney »

notfamousanymore wrote:There are a number of rumours around which may be a pointer to what's happening at the moment, or may just have been invented to explain the catastrophic collapse in performance.

The Adam Pope/McDermott interview alluded to some disciplinary issues ref Peltier and Warnock. There were associated rumours that the two showed up drunk/hung over to training Sunday following a night out post-Bolton. Kebe (mercifully not in the squad) was explained away as 'sick' if I recall correctly.

There was also some discussion about some issues/incidents on the Christmas trip to Ireland which coincided with the wreckage over the festive period

Early season, this looked like a team which were not hugely talented but were punching above their weight, playing as a team, and playing for each other.

Doesn't look like that now, does it?

Any thoughts?

I can clarify Peltier was out Saturday as was Wickham as well.
Football is my religion and Elland Road is my church.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Apparently Kebe, Peltier, Warnock and Stewart were at a strip club on Saturday, getting drunk and came in the next day still drunk.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

And of course the complete disarray and unrest brought on by Haigh etc with allowing a potential owner to wade in and stir things up to such an extent that he thought he could sack people, has nothing at all to do with it.
mapperleywhite

Post by mapperleywhite »

SiMamu wrote:Apparently Kebe, Peltier, Warnock and Stewart were at a strip club on Saturday, getting drunk and came in the next day still drunk.
Good to hear some team bonding was going on......

I don't know.......but wouldn't they normally get the day after a match off?.......ok they're professional footballers, but aren't they allowed a lads' Saturday night out?.....OK (allegedly) turning up drunk to training the next morning is NOT good, especially if they had driven there.

It's worth remembering that Peltier was taken off a half time, presumably before he was on the lash.

McD has been quoted today as saying that 'all they talk about is the takeover'. As we've heard from members on here this week, takeovers cause concerns and unhealthy speculation. You could say it's an easy excuse for the poor performances, but McD has waited until today to spell it out, and it has some validity.

For me it also highlights that players still crave having Leeds United on their CV, but perhaps some of them can't handle the ER crowd pressure/expectation. An excuse to get drunk?
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

I still think we are clutching at excuses - out drinking, the takeover, whatever. I am sure none of these things is an ideal preparation for training or a match...but fundamentally we are being found out because our players in total are not good enough as players. That is either because they are inherently not good enough...or another thought, our training and coaching methods are not getting the best out of them! The more I see how players appear to get better when they leave us or get worse after they join us I do have a big question mark over our coaching!Just one example we saw last night as Butland and Pearce dallied.....surely a well drilled outfit would know what to in that situation? Even my lads junior sides would have worked out that the keeper will call for it and stick it in row Z as he is facing the right way!