Funny How Things Change

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Viduka95
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Funny How Things Change

Post by Viduka95 »

First time I have posted a topic so don't bite my head off :D
It really is quite amusing how things can change over a few months.
The general consensus a few months ago on Murphy was that he really was pulling his weight and that we wasted a £1m on signing him, now it seems that every one of us views him as one of the best players on the time because of his recent performances. Also we were all singing praises for McCormack a few months ago and now we all seem to have gone quiet and don't even get me started on how everyone's view on Austin has changed :lol:
Also a month or two ago some of us really were thinking that we had a chance of getting into the playoffs and now some of us are fearing relegation :o
And also the change of opinion on McDermott over the past 2 or 3 months
Just goes to show how quickly things change for us.
@MrSkorecki Twitter
LEEDS, LEEDS, LEEDS!
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Funny How Things Change

Post by Mellor »

If you look beneath the majority view I think you might find a minority who called all the issues you raise differently. That's why I don't want the board talking to fans, why I dislike fanzines and blogs. Generally speaking they lead from within a group of vociferous but not necessarily representative fans. Witness the change of opinion on Cellino - to start with he was simply a crook (an easy/ cheap shot) now he's almost walking on water. All makes for good banter.

Not saying who's right by the way, just pointing out that there is generally another view being ignored. Football fans seem to hunt in packs, egging each other on to ever more vociferous views of support or disdain.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

Spot on, it's all the differing views and opinions that make debate. As to the players - well they do actually have good and bad periods. Ross is the greatest example of this. For me, his performance on Tuesday was dire and he really worth his place in the side...but I have also witnessed him in fine runs of form and in games like Charlton when he was sublime. that 's the nature of the game. What Leeds need is greater consistency. Top players tend to not have many in any "stinkers" while our side is full of players who regularly annoy us with poor displays. On Murphy, I am in the camp which believes that he is very slowly becoming used to playing for Leeds and is getting ever better - not saying he is even "good" yet but his contribution improves despite the form of the team collapsing. I am sure that if he can get some more decent players around him and the team going forward more than back he will become the player he was for Crewe at their level.
notfamousanymore
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by notfamousanymore »

dlw10 wrote:Top players tend to not have many in any "stinkers" while our side is full of players who regularly annoy us with poor displays.
This is a good point.

I think Ross is trying too hard. As captain he needs to try to help others raise their game/keep their heads/go all out (as necessary) as well as be seen to be trying hardest. Maybe he needs to be helped to do this.

I havent 'got' Murphy yet, really. He had a great reputation for a reason I guess, but he doesnt seem to fit a 'conventional' midfield role (box to box (Bowyer, Gerrard); defensive anchor (Busquets, Makalele); passing 'metronome' for the team's tempo (Xavi); powerhouse (Toure, Rudi?!); goalscorer (Lampard, Howson) etc. He and Mowatt seem quite similar.

For me, our midfield (including our wingers) is by far our weakest point. Murphy, Mowatt and Austin you would see as decent squad players; Norris, Green, Tonge, Brown are probably L1 or L2; Stewart and Ariyibi and Dawson unproven; Kebe just not functional. Not a single one would be 'first pick' in a midfield 4 or 5.

And we clearly need a new goalkeeper. Or two.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

We don't have many players that are good week in, week out players playing in the Championship, so just how many would make the grade in the premiership if we got promoted in the next two years, I don't know. I could hazard a guess, not counting our loanees and say we have just one current player who is good enough, which is McCormack. Potential players, who might be good enough, Byram, Mowatt and possibly Wootton. I don't think Murphy is anywhere good enough for the premiership and he's been arguably our best player this year after Super Mac.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
notfamousanymore
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by notfamousanymore »

just how many would make the grade in the premiership if we got promoted in the next two years, I don't know.[quote="Aces"]

Byram and Mowatt might make a first team if they keeps developing; McCormack might. Pearce would be a decent squad player, as would Austin.

The rest? no, I don't think so. Matt Smith as a long shot. If Cellino gets in he will buy a new team to go with our new manager (and I guess that Ross and sam may be shipped out to raise some cash and start afresh).

It's all a bit academic at this stage - I'm more worried about the squad for League 1!