McCormack nominated for Championship player of the year

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 728

Re: McCormack nominated for Championship player of the year

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Football's ace, isn't it ??

Or is it ?? ;)
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Top scorer in the league nominated as player of the year and it's a mockery.

Leeds player nominated as player of the year and we shouldn't be proud.

Apparently we are hated by one and all when things go wrong. When things go right it seems everyone loves us and our man is nominated in a fix of Eurovisionesque proportions.

Correct, there really is nothing to argue about.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

I'm not sure if you're having a dig at anyone there Mellor but anyway, Rigger's comment that McCormack had been anonymous 'too many times' seemed to be an issue, when it in fact is pretty much indisputable to me at least. I like McCormack a lot and am pleased to see him nominated for this as well as when he gets a Scotland call-up. If he wins it then that will be funny :D
Deleted User 728

Mellor, I know what you mean but try and look at it from an objective point of view for a moment.

Years ago, someone asked me what I thought of Lee Bowyer.
It was around the time of the court case when he was playing the best football of his career and should've been an England regular.

I said I thought he was great, a top class player and that I didn't care about anything else.
Looking back now as a more mature individual, I can see that was wrong. He's a scumbag and I was hypocritical to slag off the likes of Diouf when we had worse on our own books.

... and yes I'm aware of the irony of that statement :D
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

McCormack's the top scorer in the Championship; so, ipso facto, he's the best forward in the league so deserves to be up there. He's scored or assisted over 50% of our goals this season and has kept us mid-table, rather than in a relegation battle.
I agree though, defenders and goalkeepers don't get the recognition they deserve. A good defence and GK earn you a point when your strikers are misfiring and make a title-winning side, helping earn points even when a team performs poorly in attack.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

He doesn't always impress when he's on the ball, and if you ask me his ability as a footballer is a bit over rated (esp. by the Skysports commentators), but to be league top scorer in this poor team is a genuine achievement, and at the end of the day as a striker scoring goals is his job, not dictating the flow of the game. What's also undeniable is that many of his goals have been moments of real individual quality, often at odds with his usual contribution. I'm almost certain that if Danny Ings had been playing for us this year, he'd barely be into double figures. Ross is a bit of a frustrating enigma but he definitely deserves the nomination.
Deleted User 972

Post by Deleted User 972 »

I think its well deserved for sure and people are only critical because were on a bad run if this announcement came when we had won 3 in a row and he had scored 4 or 5 goals people would be singing his praises.Its some achievement to score that many goals in a team with as poor a midfield as ours. I think aswel putting the ball in the back of the net is the hardest thing to do in football for sure, thats why the fees are so much more higher for strikers than keepers and defenders because having a lethal striker is invaluable. Aswel he has alot of assists we would be relegated without him for sure. I try to keep a balanced opinion whatever the results some peoples view change like the wind on every missed chance.
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

rigger wrote:Mellor, I know what you mean but try and look at it from an objective point of view for a moment.

Years ago, someone asked me what I thought of Lee Bowyer.
It was around the time of the court case when he was playing the best football of his career and should've been an England regular.

I said I thought he was great, a top class player and that I didn't care about anything else.
Looking back now as a more mature individual, I can see that was wrong. He's a scumbag and I was hypocritical to slag off the likes of Diouf when we had worse on our own books.

... and yes I'm aware of the irony of that statement :D
If you don't mind me saying, the only one not being objective on here is you ;)

Eurovision, Bowyer have nothing to do with it. Ross is the league's scorer. His nomination was assured. Anything else would have sniffed of fix. I'd still sell him but credit where credit's due. He's doing the bit he's paid to do. And anonymous - never seen that on the team sheet; 44 for Leeds - anon :thumbup:
attacco decente
Deleted User 728

Like I said, I do know what you mean.
I'll give you the fact that he should be nominated simply for the goals, but he shouldn't win it IMHO.
Player of the season should be the one who's performed most consistently at the highest level for that period, like an 8/10 every week guy, not someone who is 9-6-6-5-8-10-6-6-8-5.

But ... having said ALL of that, I think we actually do agree on one thing:
Eurovision, Bowyer have nothing to do with it. Ross is the league's scorer. His nomination was assured. Anything else would have sniffed of fix. I'd still sell him but credit where credit's due. He's doing the bit he's paid to do. And anonymous - never seen that on the team sheet; 44 for Leeds - anon
Darn tootin', I would too, to anyone coming in with £4m+
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

rigger wrote:Like I said, I do know what you mean.
I'll give you the fact that he should be nominated simply for the goals, but he shouldn't win it IMHO.
Player of the season should be the one who's performed most consistently at the highest level for that period, like an 8/10 every week guy, not someone who is 9-6-6-5-8-10-6-6-8-5.

But ... having said ALL of that, I think we actually do agree on one thing:
Eurovision, Bowyer have nothing to do with it. Ross is the league's scorer. His nomination was assured. Anything else would have sniffed of fix. I'd still sell him but credit where credit's due. He's doing the bit he's paid to do. And anonymous - never seen that on the team sheet; 44 for Leeds - anon
Darn tootin', I would too, to anyone coming in with £4m+
:thumbup:
attacco decente